SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

• 1 month later...

I've heard there is a proposal for a Gold Overlay District to be added to the zoning ordinance. The abbreviation would be AU, not GOD (this is about as much humor as can be applied to an ordinance). Ironically it would prohibit gold mining (or other commercial mining activities). More to come...

• Like 2

I've heard there is a proposal for a Gold Overlay District to be added to the zoning ordinance. The abbreviation would be AU, not GOD (this is about as much humor as can be applied to an ordinance). Ironically it would prohibit gold mining (or other commercial mining activities). More to come...

It is not a proposal, it actually was filed. More to come indeed.  :)

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

I would love for the master plan to incorporate at least some kind of small museum dedicated to the gold mining operations in the area. I understand that they cannot do underground tours like they do at Reed Gold Mine for a number of reasons, but it would be cool if they had a little something around one of the shaft entrances

I would love for the master plan to incorporate at least some kind of small museum dedicated to the gold mining operations in the area. I understand that they cannot do underground tours like they do at Reed Gold Mine for a number of reasons, but it would be cool if they had a little something around one of the shaft entrances

Stay tuned!!!

• Like 1

Imagine if we'd sunk $160m into a big time gold mining museum as opposed to the NASCAR HOF. I bet they could have done a lot of amazing stuff, including underground tours (assuming that money could afford the necessary pumping required to get the water out of the mines and seal them). Not to say we shouldn't have built the NHOF, just using it as reference. Personally I would have preferred the gold museum. Oh well, maybe one day.

• Like 1

Im assuming Its Not just a development but something cool & not just a master plan.

On the other hand, Its going to always bother me the Gold line will not go through the Gold District.

I've heard through a source that the agenda will be posting a preview of the gold district tomorrow. Not nearly all the info out there but it's a start.

Hmmmmm....8' planting strip and 6' sidewalk is very disappointing.  At a minimum, that sounds reversed, but I'd really love to see 14' sidewalks with tree wells.  No one can stroll on 6' sidewalks. 

While I intend to agree, I think this zoning is similar to Short North, which is what they are modeling this after.

Here's the reasoning:

Charlotte Urban Forestry has determined that trees  need 8’ of dirt to survive and thrive, unless they are located in tree wells (like downtown)…..so that is where the 8’ comes from…..we typically like to design 8’ or wider sidewalks and will have wider where we can.

The 8’ landscaping / 6’ sidewalk is a minimum and was established because there are so many older existing buildings that only have 14’ between the street curb and the building edge.  

Edited by Jayvee

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/8567/the-gold-district/

While I support the ideas behind the Gold District, I have to say that the efforts to move the idea forward doesn't seem right. A zoning district shouldn't have a singular geographic purpose - typically  they should be set up to work in other places around the city as well. How does the "AU" district set itself apart from "PED" (Pedestrian Overlay District)? To me it sounds almost identical. Why go through the process of setting up a new district when there is an existing one that would accomplish the same thing?

What's interesting here is that if it is approved, a zoning district would be set up without a planning process to set the vision for what people actually want the area to be. So far all we know is that some people in South End want to set up this district; but there is not a singular, publicly supported vision for the area. 

This all sounds very exciting.  The one thing that really bothers me is the 8' landscaping/6' sidewalk requirement.  They really need to reconsider the 8' landscaping strip and just require tree wells instead.  If they envision this area as being like a stroll district similar to Short North in Columbus then how about developing an ordinance that actually encourages that type of streetscape!!!  At the very least on Mint Street.

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/8567/the-gold-district/

What's interesting here is that if it is approved, a zoning district would be set up without a planning process to set the vision for what people actually want the area to be. So far all we know is that some people in South End want to set up this district; but there is not a singular, publicly supported vision for the area. 

They've actually been extremely active with local business owners in the area, existing business owners in the Gold District and residents asking what they want and such.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was all for this one block being fixed up for Restaurants and Entertainment. I understand that these renderings are conceptual and all. But I just worry about the kind of person that would dress up these old buildings in this manner for a presentation. All these buildings need is a spit shine, new windows, garage doors, maybe some funky paint colors, and a patio fronting West Morehead and a patio in the alley between the center buildings. They don't need Wood Panelling and Metal, and bullcrap. So disappointing. 

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 2.43.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 2.44.12 PM.png

Approach this with caution. Adam Williams always throws BS concept renderings into his marketing materials. 90% of which never materialize that way he presents them. He is just looking to bring in some people that want to move in. It's up to the tenants to decide how it is all dressed up. HOWEVER I will say, the owner of the property doesn't seem to be too keen on rehabing these buildings and has talked about a soulless nyc/miami vibe, and this fits that bill.

Another thing to note is this is just a temporary solution while the owner land banks. I don't see them putting a lot of money into it (which would further lead me to believe they just dress up the existing buildings).

Edited by Jayvee

• 1 year later...