SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

17 minutes ago, kermit said:

has the Gold District just died from neglect? A year since the last post, I haven't heard about any openings, what happened to the arcade bar?

Arcade bar is proceeding along, not far from being done last time I talked to the owners. The Strip between Church and Mint along Morehead should start to get refurbed soon, they have inked a couple restaurants for the strip. There are things moving forward. it just takes time. 

36 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Interesting...it looks very, very Epicenter, and might be a bit of a misfire for the Gold District (as close as this is to uptown its pretty hidden with 0 foot traffic). That is probably the most overpriced basic cocktail menu I've seen here too. But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong and wish them the best. The construction of a pool as a concept bar is certainly a unique idea, and if that part gets off the ground, it may be a hit. 

• Like 2

Just now, nonillogical said:

Interesting...it looks very, very Epicenter, and might be a bit of a misfire for the Gold District (as close as this is to uptown its pretty hidden with 0 foot traffic). That is probably the most overpriced basic cocktail menu I've seen here too. But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong and wish them the best. The construction of a pool as a concept bar is certainly a unique idea, and if that part gets off the ground, it may be a hit. 

Especially after seeing the amazing pricing at Queen Park Social Club. Unique-ish cocktails between $7-10 

I returned from a wedding in Greensboro late one Saturday night and tried to make it home to Dilworth with no stop for gas and juuuuuust missed making it. The engine coughed on Morehead and I sensed trouble. I pulled off West Morehead, turned left onto Dunbar street and coasted to a stop just 75 feet to the right of the old house in the photo of the gravel lot (Charlotte Agenda). It was a 20 minute walk home to fetch the wife's car and then a return to fetch the wife who continued to sleep in my car while I was gone. Dunbar is a giveaway that the street was originally for African Americans and poet Paul Lawrence Dunbar is surely the name provided for the street. There were still small houses, close to Dunbar, all along that block at that time. I recall the neighborhood fondly.

It has changed amazingly little and individual owners still control the few houses on the street. I hope this continues

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The Gold District people are still trying to create a zoning overlay district. It was in this month's rezoning packet (or maybe last month's... I forget). Given the general momentum of South End, its only a matter of time before the Mint Street area takes off.

9 hours ago, Spartan said:

The Gold District people are still trying to create a zoning overlay district. It was in this month's rezoning packet (or maybe last month's... I forget). Given the general momentum of South End, its only a matter of time before the Mint Street area takes off.

What would the zoning overlay district entail? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know what's going on at Mint & Summit across the street from the Max & Lola's site? They've been renovating the former "Mynt" building (which I think used to be a club of some sort) and are adding large windows. I'm hoping it will be a restaurant/retail space of some sort.

21 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Definitely near the top of the list of misappropriated terms. Nothing tops the namesake "Bodega" in NoDa though. :tw_expressionless:

So true. Common Market is much more of a "bodega" than NoDa Bodega (and neither really fit the term). I've never been, but I'm assuming Red Sea Grocery is much more of a legit "bodega."

17 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Does anyone know what's going on at Mint & Summit across the street from the Max & Lola's site? They've been renovating the former "Mynt" building (which I think used to be a club of some sort) and are adding large windows. I'm hoping it will be a restaurant/retail space of some sort.

So true. Common Market is much more of a "bodega" than NoDa Bodega (and neither really fit the term). I've never been, but I'm assuming Red Sea Grocery is much more of a legit "bodega."

Regarding Summit & Mint See here. I believe they already have two tenants signed. 

Bardo Restaurant is signed. https://twitter.com/BardoRestaurant no clue the cuisine. 

The other Tenant is a street wear company out of Asheville called Artifact Public.

https://www.artifactpublic.com/artifact-public

There are two additional restaurant spaces for lease. 3,200 sq feet and 1,400 sq feet

59529129e8a1f_MintWebPick.thumb.jpg.a8e9003823402a902a87bfb52a499960.jpg

Red Sea was indeed a legit Grocery but its now being replaced by Pasta & Provisions. 

Edited by Guest

On 6/27/2017 at 1:09 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Regarding Summit & Mint See here. I believe they already have two tenants signed. 

Bardo Restaurant is signed. https://twitter.com/BardoRestaurant no clue the cuisine. 

The other Tenant is a street wear company out of Asheville called Artifact Public.

https://www.artifactpublic.com/artifact-public

There are two additional restaurant spaces for lease. 3,200 sq feet and 1,400 sq feet

59529129e8a1f_MintWebPick.thumb.jpg.a8e9003823402a902a87bfb52a499960.jpg

Red Sea was indeed a legit Grocery but its now being replaced by Pasta & Provisions. 

Re: Summit & Mint - This is actually a case where the end product looks 1000x better than the rendering. They did a great job with the renovations.

Re: Red Sea: That's unfortunate. Small grocers are common in dense urban areas. It's a shame that the best we can do in Charlotte is Common Market (not trying to insult CM here, but they aren't really a "market" in the truest sense of the word.)

5 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Re: Summit & Mint - This is actually a case where the end product looks 1000x better than the rendering. They did a great job with the renovations.

Re: Red Sea: That's unfortunate. Small grocers are common in dense urban areas. It's a shame that the best we can do in Charlotte is Common Market (not trying to insult CM here, but they aren't really a "market" in the truest sense of the word.)

I'd say Pasta and Provisions is a market

About a year ago I stumbled upon some abandoned railroad tracks behind the 1430 S Mint St building and before the 1420 building:

https://goo.gl/maps/37mKfbZe9g92

I can't locate these tracks on any old Sandborn maps of the "Gold District".  They obviously must have originiated at the NS mainline around Charlotte Pipe but I have no idea if they crossed Mint Street and went uphill into South End.  Does anyone have a clue? 

I know that the line that is now the light rail when used a hundred years ago for passengers had a connection from near Morehead/s. blvd that went around to the passenger station on West Trade. Trains headed south stopped at W Trade then continued on that section until the current light rail corridor. Maybe?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think this project falls within the Gold District boundaries... Anyways, approved plans for 300 Summit Office Building posted yesterday in Accela.  Reminds me of an old school from the 20's-30's in the street elevation.

7-11-2017 1-48-39 PM.png

7-11-2017 1-49-06 PM.png

7-11-2017 1-49-30 PM.png

7-11-2017 1-49-46 PM.png

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, AP3 said:

I think this project falls within the Gold District boundaries... Anyways, approved plans for 300 Summit Office Building posted yesterday in Accela.  Reminds me of an old school from the 20's-30's in the street elevation.

it sure does. And in case anyone needed a rendering refresh. Rooftop deck is going to have an incredible view of uptown from that location. 

7B8VPMF.jpg?1

8PCl0cO.jpg?1

• Like 2