SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

20 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Interesting, my wife and I are actually looking at the Altura townhomes right across from this... One of the things I loved about them was the views from the Deck, but looking at that map, I am actually worried about of the land right next to 277 and right in front of the town homes. 

Hmmmmmm, then again, in 5 years, this area is going to be nice and dense and 100% walkable. 

What do you do that you can afford one of the Altura? And how do I get that job :)

10 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

My question is what is happening with the “adaptive reuse” block on Morehead?  I seem to recall around 2015 the entire block was purchased by some Canadian entity (if memory serves) and they were going to lease all the buildings as restaurant/bar space until conditions warranted a tear down and rebuild of something larger.  Now it looks like some of the properties are for lease with Whiteside industrial and some are for sale, with virtually nothing having occurred since the 2015 purchase.  

I do hope it ends up being adaptive reuse rather than a tear down.  While not necessarily very pretty or historic, these buildings kind of have some of that gritty urban charm that seems to have been lost in the often sterile developments that have popped up around Southend. I’ve thought for a long time these buildings would make a great little restaurant and bar row especially considering the Panthers /MLS are next door and all the residential and commercial development in the area.

Whiteside indicated something should be happening this Qtr

Out of Curiosity, if you had the choice to buy a town home at Altura or a town home at Southpoint at Southend, and you had to pull the trigger asap, what would you do?

Altura

But also maybe Southpoint long term.

But there will be a major shift in gold district very very very soon. Spectrum won’t be the last announcement before the end of spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 12:48 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Made a graphic from my version of the story.

https://twitter.com/CLTdevelopment/status/1220738206339125248?s=20

SPECTRUM-MAP.jpg

Thanks RDF.  Quick question, why is the diocese holding onto the parking lot along Church St between Carson and Palmer?   The only time its full is for Panthers games.  There are much cheaper locations to park school buses.  I'm sure Spectrum made a bid for it so they could have the entire parcel.  Maybe the diocese thinks they could sell it for more $$ or they just don't want their office building to be bounded by Spectrum projects on both sides?

Edited by ChessieCat

23 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Thanks RDF.  Quick question, why is the diocese holding onto the parking lot along Church St between Carson and Palmer?   The only time its full is for Panthers games.  There are much cheaper locations to park school buses.  I'm sure Spectrum made a bid for it so they could have the entire parcel.  Maybe the diocese thinks they could sell it for more $$ or they just don't want their office building to be bounded by Spectrum projects on both sides?

Maybe the diocese gets tax breaks or exemptions on their land? If so, it might not be that expensive to hold onto it.

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Honestly I'm not sure why they don't just sell their land anyways, they could ask record record record dollars. 

The comment in Charlotte Ledger about the South Charlotte property that "could" be a new high school was the transaction takes far longer than a conventional one because several levels of church hierarchy must be consulted and satisfied. I think many of us who have worked in a large organization/institution know that information moves out to either side slowly but questions move up and down exceedingly slowly. Then, since it is the Western Church ,add multiple layers and obstacles onto that. 

Church land, once sold, may never be regained. The RC Church was the railroad before there were railways. (inapt comparison but what am I to do for a comparison?)

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

The comment in Charlotte Ledger about the South Charlotte property that "could" be a new high school was the transaction takes far longer than a conventional one because several levels of church hierarchy must be consulted and satisfied. I think many of us who have worked in a large organization/institution know that information moves out to either side slowly but questions move up and down exceedingly slowly. Then, since it is the Western Church ,add multiple layers and obstacles onto that. 

Church land, once sold, may never be regained. The RC Church was the railroad before there were railways. (inapt comparison but what am I to do for a comparison?)

Thanks.  Maybe Spectrum can be creative and propose a land swap  plus more for that new high school in South Charlotte.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Grubb is planning a new apartment community on S Mint next to the new townhomes, across from Unknown Brewing.

Is this the lot directly across from Sunstead and Palmer St?  I have a friend that has been working on plans for an apartment building on that lot as well.

2 hours ago, CTiger said:

Is this the lot directly across from Sunstead and Palmer St?  I have a friend that has been working on plans for an apartment building on that lot as well.

I have heard no ground floor retail is planned. That would be disappointing if the building has frontage on Mint Street.

• Like 2

Re: The Hawk.  If these are as high-end as advertised, coupled with the fantastic location...I would think this would have been a safe project to go condos on.   Price per unit may have been expensive but if you can afford 2, 3, 4, 5 thousand a month that this place will probably ask for, you can probably afford whatever price point these would have been set at.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Re: The Hawk.  If these are as high-end as advertised, coupled with the fantastic location...I would think this would have been a safe project to go condos on.   Price per unit may have been expensive but if you can afford 2, 3, 4, 5 thousand a month that this place will probably ask for, you can probably afford whatever price point these would have been set at.

Problem is very difficult to get financing for condos unless the 50% or so of the units are under contract.  Lenders more eager for apartment loans. 

• Like 1

I have an idea, since Tepper is in a spending mood and obviously wants to make a name for himself here everyone that can get in his ear should push him to start lending his own money to finance a handful of midrise condo buildings around center city. He won't miss another billion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, j-man said:

I love how the windows aren’t flushed with the exterior. They sit back a little which is refreshing and gives the simple exterior some character. 

I like the window panes as well.  Before the windows went in the building looked like an old Soviet building.

• Like 1