SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

11House:

A+

Well done. One shiny dime held for you. About what I assumed from my search though you found more substance than my cursory investigation. 

On a first visit to the Reed Gold Mine site (highly recommended) I saw the remaining side shafts of the mine which are sized for a man with a tool, a torch,  and a leather sack to slither through. The story of Cornish immigrants drawn to the work because of tin mines in Cornwall told me that life in Cornwall must have been nasty bad to come all this way to engage in the work. At the time of that visit the stamp mill could still operate. I know not if that is still true. Being next to a stamp mill in operation is a frightening experience. No video does justice to a stamp mill that can be heard from a mile away.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

259 apartments, zero retail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure if that’s such a loss for this area though?  There’s retail at the bottom of Apartments built on South Blvd (at Remount) that’s still vacant a couple years after the Building opened.  Gotta be tough to be the first to have ground floor retail because it could be many years before suitable tenants take the plunge along this corridor.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I’m not sure if that’s such a loss for this area though?  There’s retail at the bottom of Apartments built on South Blvd (at Remount) that’s still vacant a couple years after the Building opened.  Gotta be tough to be the first to have ground floor retail because it could be many years before suitable tenants take the plunge along this corridor.

For sure, but they should at least build it so it can be converted when the time arises. 

6 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

How many years do you think it will be before retail opens in the vacant retail spaces?

Depends on how much this area builds out really. So far there are two fairly large residential projects planned, and townhouses. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Probably a company field for Charlotte Pipe.  Would think they probably had multiple teams, but also occasionally played other manufacturer company teams.  Cool find, and a great signal of how much society has changed.

Edit:. Interesting, was Wearn field, owned by lumber magnate... nothing to do with Charlotte Pipe.  See the Charlotte Hornets played there, which threw me, because I thought their home was always in Dilworth, but that opened much later than I thought.

49 minutes ago, turtleman said:

image.png.45b92932567c9737e757d96cd7e2a90c.png

Came across this old aerial of the Gold District from 1938. Did anyone know there used to be a baseball field at the corner of Winona & Graham?

SO COOL!

Thank you, jjwilli. Wearn field was the baseball field in Charlotte.  When Dilworth was platted in 1890 there was a baseball field in what is now Latta Park. Wearn Field came later. Wearn Field is remembered as one of the homes of the Charlotte professional baseball teams on the wall of the current field as seen here:

https://www.cmlibrary.org/blog/history-baseball-charlotte

The Wearn family had a lumber company. The company was on Winona and Graham just south of Little hardware. If one uses Google or your vehicle or feet to navigate to Graham and Winona then head down Winona and look on the roof of the one level building. The ventilation and exhaust pipes for sawdust and other dangerous fire risks can be seen on the roof of the building. The current building siding on Winona is a repainting and reskin of the old unpainted building exterior which I recall. I also recall a weathered "Wearn" name on the side of that building, now lost to the newer uses.

Left and right field look to be an easy fly ball reach. Deep center field? Hoo-boy.

Throwing up a wooden grandstand and fence would be easy peasy for a lumber company.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ertley said:

Is it too much to dream that enough people could be made aware of this so that a future new development in the area--park or housing--could be given the name Wearn Field??  After a while all the Apexes, Pinnacles, Summits and the like start to numb the mind.

I'll suggest it to Clay Grubb they are looking at apartments catty corner to the site

Edited by Guest

Also: looking again at the 1926 clipping from above I just noticed it was by Jake Wade. I recall reading about him in the past. He was a (nearly) famous sports writer here and with top marks everywhere he went. Here is a short biography. During the golden age of sports and journalism, he was our city's finest.

https://blogs.lib.unc.edu/morton/2012/05/09/the-poetic-prose-of-julius-jennings-wade/

• Thanks 1