SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

Yes. I'm told they're also going to demo the really cool building at the corner of Graham and Palmer, which sucks. Such a cool building and it's right up against the ROW, so it doesn't take up a bunch of land. They could have easily worked around it and incorporated it into the project.  Looks like it's from 1935 according to tax records.

Edited by Prodev
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, tarhoosier said:

The Wearn family had a lumber company. The company was on Winona and Graham just south of Little hardware. If one uses Google or your vehicle or feet to navigate to Graham and Winona then head down Winona and look on the roof of the one level building. The ventilation and exhaust pipes for sawdust and other dangerous fire risks can be seen on the roof of the building. The current building siding on Winona is a repainting and reskin of the old unpainted building exterior which I recall. I also recall a weathered "Wearn" name on the side of that building, now lost to the newer uses.

The interior of that building is (unsurprisingly) chunky timber frame and quite beautiful. You can wander in if you're 'looking for one of the businesses' in the smaller suites.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jjwilli said:

The low parking ratio is definitely a huge win but with so many cool old red brick buildings in the Gold District this one is disappointing in terms of material/look. Bummer the new UDO couldn’t help produce a nicer looking building. I know policy can’t force this but it would be be nice if we could build a cohesive feel for neighborhoods and not keep throwing up these cookie cutter South End apartments everywhere (please keep them on South Blvd). The other new apartment going up at Carson and Mint looks much better and this one should have followed their lead. Haven’t even mentioned the zero ground floor retail yet.

One Star (for the low parking ratio). Thanks for letting me rant.

The rendering looks like it has retail... But I know they said there wouldn't be any. 

11 hours ago, navigator319 said:

Aside from the minimal viable parking ratio, which is an internal thing, this is a POS and disappointment for the neighborhood.  Charlotte should do better.  City leaders just don't care enough.

"The Charlotte Way" (tm) is for the council to fellate developers at rezoning meetings and afterwords listen to the developer tell them that the city is lucky they had the opportunity to blow them because everyone knows that Fort Mill can suck a golf ball through a garden hose. It is an abusive relationship.

(having said that, I forgive Grubb for any sins here in return for their parking policies -- perhaps today is my turn in the barrel)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

I don't think the city can mandate what materials can be used on the outside of residential buildings. I think the state legislature passed a law limiting these types of mandates about a decade or so ago. I could be mistaken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norm21499 said:

I don't think the city can mandate what materials can be used on the outside of residential buildings. I think the state legislature passed a law limiting these types of mandates about a decade or so ago. I could be mistaken.

You definitely can. Many of the surrounding towns have brick only districts or a certain number of buildings must be brick. It just seems like Charlotte doesn't care enough.  

• Like 1