SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

aerial views of the rising Gold District where the streets are paved with gold dust.

Middle photo shows the block where a 7 or 8 story apartment building with rise where those 1-2 stories buildings are. 

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3127.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

Starting to look quite a bit dense there with no sort of public square or pocket park.  Is there anything of the sort in the Gold District?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I realized after I re-read GoDo makes no sense LOL GoDi pronounced Gold-ee as mentioned above makes better sense. 

and the piece of art that should be commissioned is a large gold nugget on base.    Anyway this area is rapidly going to change and look for more development and even high rises in this area.   

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I'm really liking the new one-way with parking on both side on Lincoln St and think this should be recreated all over town.

IMG_20210610_134853610_HDR.jpg

I love that too. I would love to see South, through SouthEnd, turned into a 2 lane with parking on either side an tree'd median, kind of like this. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I love that too. I would love to see South, through SouthEnd, turned into a 2 lane with parking on either side an tree'd median, kind of like this. 

1000% - how do we start the advocacy for this sort of transformation

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4

Charlotte is doing a pretty good job of road diets on the north side but through residential neighborhoods (Plaza, Parkwood, Matheson next), but I would think South Blvd would still be prioritized due to pedestrian deaths there even though it handles a ton of commuter traffic:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=a76fc08608754c23969be0c902dcc74f&extent=-80.9822,35.144,-80.6927,35.3119 

^ Lets give credit where its due. Street trees, patio activation and an interesting (and used) alley on the block (with art!)  all contribute.

(Its mostly fine since its such a quiet street but the parking on both sides of such a narrow street does double the potential of getting doored while biking)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2