SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I saw this yesterday and here is  story about it.

South End Demolition: Developers tear down buildings to develop apartment complex (fox46.com)

How about a pocket park somebody talking about the history of Gold mining in this area of Charlotte with some exhibits and plaques and trees and benches. 

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

This is a perfectly nice block with a single-story office and a mature magnolia tree on the corner.  Not in real estate but just sort of funny to me how lots get chosen for development/redevelopment.  Given all the other empty or rundown lots in the Gold district, why this one for this latest round of densification?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, atlrvr said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/05/19/aspen-heights-partners-bank-of-america-stadium.html

^^^^ Some details here.  Submitted land-use plans which means it's pretty advanced in the design/permitting process.

Address is 219 W Morehead and will include removing everything from there down to Mint St along Morehead.

388 units + 441 parking spaces on just over 1.5 acres.

Just based on those metrics, that should equate to a 27-30 story tower.

Aspen Heights has (in my opinion) pretty mixed record on quality.  Some really nice stuff down to some pretty cheap looking stuff.  Fingers crossed.

I think I saw an Axios or cltdevelopment post on Instagram yesterday about this.  They are showing no retail at all with this development, and all of the short one-story buildings are gone.  Not sure I like this.  Again, all of the character of those older buildings is going to be torn down.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

I think I saw an Axios or cltdevelopment post on Instagram yesterday about this.  They are showing no retail at all with this development, and all of the short one-story buildings are gone.  Not sure I like this.  Again, all of the character of those older buildings is going to be torn down.

Can you link that, cause I can't find that anywhere. I believe it given their other developments, but given the proximity to everything I am surprised there is not a little retail. 

While it's true the land use application has "0" under the retail sq ft, I'm not sure UMUD would allow that size footprint to be developed with out retail.  Technically it just needs to be "active" I believe, which the two apartment buildings the two blocks east on Morehead toward Tryon satisfied with having ground floor residential units with patios.  Given this building would have to be podium parked (high-rise residential over parking deck) I don't think there could be ground floor residential.  That means either a ton of ground floor leaseing/office and amenity space, or there will be retail after all and they just didn't fill it out that blank of the submission form.

However, Element Uptown is a good (bad) example that you can fill up the entire ground floor of a high rise with "amenity space"....they even have their model unit as "active ground floor" use. :(

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Other than their building in Austin, Aspen Heights has a pretty underwhelming portfolio in my opinion.  When I read the article I thought, "surely this can't be the same Aspen Heights that builds the cheaply-built college town apartments?"  But it is.  I have a bad feeling about this one.

Maybe I'm just bitter that those awesome single story buildings couldn't be salvaged.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Other than their building in Austin, Aspen Heights has a pretty underwhelming portfolio in my opinion.  When I read the article I thought, "surely this can't be the same Aspen Heights that builds the cheaply-built college town apartments?"  But it is.  I have a bad feeling about this one.

Maybe I'm just bitter that those awesome single story buildings couldn't be salvaged.

Yeah, their portfolio is... pretty junky.

And it's indefensible for our city code to not require a certain percentage of the ground floor be set aside for retail. Any multi-family building over 4 stories should have retail in the bottom.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, CTiger said:

Take a look at the Independent's ground floor... its not good, and its on a greenway.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 49er said:

Prepare to be underwhelmed. What I've seen is a 12 story tower over a 5 floor garage. 

If it is over 300 apartments, thats gonna be one chonky boi... Lets say each apart is on average 1000sqft. 25 per floor for 12 floors, plus extra space for halls, elevators, utilities. You are looking at 30,000 sqft floor plates, with no amenity areas included... 12 stories can't be right for this site... can it?  

23 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Can you link that, cause I can't find that anywhere. I believe it given their other developments, but given the proximity to everything I am surprised there is not a little retail. 

So, because i'm not truly tech savvy, the best I can do is say that it is on Instagram.  The person who posted is @jasonthomasclt

I'll see if I can get on my phone and do the link that way.  Stay tuned!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

So, because i'm not truly tech savvy, the best I can do is say that it is on Instagram.  The person who posted is @jasonthomasclt

I'll see if I can get on my phone and do the link that way.  Stay tuned!

He posted something like that for the Off Broadway space, but that is different. 

7 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

He posted something like that for the Off Broadway space, but that is different. 

The most recent quotes from him that I could see are regarding Optimist Hall.  He did have two quotes about the space on Morehead and Mint and the development that is going in there.  This will be a lesson learned for me to capture something while its relevant and post it here.

• 2 weeks later...