SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

25 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

I wonder if that United Church for Little People has any plans to sell anytime soon.  I'd love to see that eyesore disappear. 

(*yes, I know that's not that church's name but every time I see one that pops into my head for some reason...)

I would say no and no time soon it is the United House of Prayer church  ( UHOP ) 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ there was mention of another car free multifamily project at Parkwood station that I have not yet heard about, in the Urban Institute piece linked elsewhere. 

Here it is, for reference.

Some new developments emphasize walkability and alternative transportation. The Joinery, a six-story, car free apartment building is under construction in Optimist Park. The 83-unit complex is located near the Parkwood Station and will offer bikes, scooters and electric vehicles for rent.  https://ui.charlotte.edu/story/part-2-relationship-between-design-and-transit-use

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The Joinery - Swinerton

the difference between the Grubb property in Gold district and the Joinery on N Brevard is distance to mass transit.  The Joinery is between 2 stations Parkwood and 25th St.  I guess we will see how the Grubb property leases up and I know at their NoDa project the office building and apartments share the parking garage which should work well.  But this is a different story at this new complex.  I think car less apartments can work in a few select locations in Charlotte uptown for example where there are grocery stores some places in Southend etc.  

I own a car, but I do value and admire these attempts to rebrand car-lessness as something cool and conscientious...a futuristic ideal to save the planet and be more efficient in our land use.  I wonder if these properties might also play around with the idea of a dedicated, community ride-share service.  

8 hours ago, kayman said:

Why would you advocate for a black church that's thriving to disappear?  They keep up their grounds of their property. If so why not advocate for the Presbyterian church in Uptown to disappear as well then since it's an eyesore to "progress"?  Your comment is problematic...

Didn’t mean to offend anyone.  Had no idea it was a black church, since the sign says “For All People”.  It’s just an unattractive building to me.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, go_vertical said:

It's considerably more unique and interesting than many other churches in Charlotte. This is exactly the kind of buildings we should want more of dotted around. It's not like there is a massive parking lot or a blank, boring wall between it and the street. I'm not religious at all and will most likely never feel the need to walk through those doors, but I appreciate what it offers to the neighborhood and streetscape. 

Totally agree - very whimsical architecture.  Like what it adds and most importantly, it fronts the sidewalk, frames the streetscape, very pedestrian-oriented/accessible.   Not sure when this was built, but I applaud them going against the grain versus what so many other churches tend to do.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3

Gold statues of their saints, as they call them, their church leaders, are a feature of the church. The churches have a band, a rousing musical group. I had one of the band members as a student years back. Better music experience than school band, for sure. A friend is an architect who put up several of their churches. Paid cash.

11 hours ago, go_vertical said:

It's considerably more unique and interesting than many other churches in Charlotte. This is exactly the kind of buildings we should want more of dotted around. It's not like there is a massive parking lot or a blank, boring wall between it and the street. I'm not religious at all and will most likely never feel the need to walk through those doors, but I appreciate what it offers to the neighborhood and streetscape. 

I fully agree. I love how NYC has many beautiful churches dotted around their urban forest of buildings.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Who are the construction workers on all these projects all around the city? Where do they live? Where did they come from? Does the contractor have worker housing? Worker transportation? Where do they shop and spend their pay? This large group of people who are so important to the city are unknown to me. I see them during the day, sometimes at a station for sodas, but they disappear from my awareness the other 14 hours of the day.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JacksonH said:

.  Only if and until CATS decides to create designated lanes for Gold Line trains should it be shown on the maps inside the Blue Line trains.

I cannot emphasize this enough: designating lanes is way outside of CATS purvue. They have been working with CDOT to try and fix some of the common problem areas (like top of Elizabeth avenue & the blocks adjacent to Tryon), but otherwise that is CDOT's jurisdiction. Tell your city council person and CDOT. 

As for the train maps, I could see it either way. If nothing else it should be notated like the connecting bus lines. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I cannot emphasize this enough: designating lanes is way outside of CATS purvue. They have been working with CDOT to try and fix some of the common problem areas (like top of Elizabeth avenue & the blocks adjacent to Tryon), but otherwise that is CDOT's jurisdiction. Tell your city council person and CDOT. 

As for the train maps, I could see it either way. If nothing else it should be notated like the connecting bus lines. 

Oops!  I just realized I posted my comment in the wrong thread.  I have reposted in "Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network" and deleted my post here. 

Thanks for your comment about CDOT.  I did not realize that.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...