SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

I think HopFly (and Resident Culture) are going to have a big impact on that area as far as getting people in the area that aren't already in SouthEnd. 

HopFly is definitely more than "just another brewery" as they already have a following (and distribution) in other parts of the state with a great reputation.   We have lots of great local breweries but honestly we don't really have a regional brewery like I think HopFly will be once they scale up.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

We have lots of great local breweries but honestly we don't really have a regional brewery like I think HopFly will be once they scale up.

I agree, but I will say I saw quite a bit of NoDa on tap at places in downtown Raleigh and Chapel Hill on a recent visit. It felt like the big Triangle breweries of a few years ago (Lonerider, Fullsteam, Aviator etc.) had faded a good bit in terms of share of taps (but this was a short visit so I didn't have a ton of datapoints). Foothills also seems to be less prominent.

[sorry, just realized this is not the beer thread]

That garbage can sized thing hanging from the pole (?!) is a transformer. I have seen one blow behind my DIlworth house several times, sadly. An explosion, and no power for quite some time after. Also seen one burn with a good flame and light, not enough to light my house, but a solid yellow flame. Aerial electrical service has educated me more than I wanted to know. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

That garbage can sized thing hanging from the pole (?!) is a transformer. I have seen one blow behind my DIlworth house several times, sadly. An explosion, and no power for quite some time after. Also seen one burn with a good flame and light, not enough to light my house, but a solid yellow flame. Aerial electrical service has educated me more than I wanted to know. 

During Hurricane Hugo from my Southpark area apartment it was like being at Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814 transformers were blowing all over town.  Still the most destructive weather event to hit Charlotte.  

I too was in the Gold District and it was insanely crowded.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, a2theb said:

Noticed on the March HDC docket that 1501 Mint is up for demo. Proposal is full demolition of the 3 buildings on the parcel which includes the renovated max & lolas/1501 space. Any clue whats is being proposed here?

https://charlottenc.gov/planning/HistoricDistricts/Documents/HDC_Cases_2022_2022-00122.pdf 

Does a demolition application with no replacement proposal mean this could just sit vacant for several years or just be used as surface parking? 

Edited by RANYC

25 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Does a demolition application with no replacement proposal mean this could just sit vacant for several years or just be used as surface parking? 

My assumption is that they were told prior that there would be a 365 day stay so there isnt really a rush to propose something else.

Could be completely wrong but I have yet to see a proposed new build submitted the same month as demolition application for either residential or commercial.

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Project Description:

1501 S Mint St
A group of visionary developers, along with the current landowner and ODA Architecture is proposing a compromise that would become an iconic destination for residents and visitors to the area. The developers are proposing a mixed-use development that will celebrate Charlotte’s Gold Mining History and help to tell her “Story”. The mixed-use development is in a TOD-NC Zone and will need height and density to be viable. While the development’s exact programmatic elements have not been finalized, potential uses include, retail, boutique hotel, office space, residential, an underground Speak-Easy and a large rooftop terrace with Restaurant / Bar, Meeting Space and an abundance of exterior roof terraces.

Where is this from? 

The online HDC filing on Accela under the planning tab.  They've officially filed.  They aren't able to get a hearing until 90 days after the demo permit filing.  

It sounds like they are still consulting (though at this stage they should have a prelim package submitted to Planning Staff (the Historic District group) with the city on what might be acceptable before they go before the commission.

• Like 2

Is this not the site of the old Rudisill Mine? They should unearth the shaft if possible and cover it with glass and incorporate it into the development in someway, maybe a small museum?

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

Is this not the site of the old Rudisill Mine? They should unearth the shaft if possible and cover it with glass and incorporate it into the development in someway, maybe a small museum?

Yes I love this idea and have said we need more Gold mining history especially in Charlotte.  

• Like 3