SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

Iconic? What does that mean on a smaller scale? I’d say our rail trail is iconic and only gets better with the development going on around it. We talk about the blue line but the trail is just as much an asset in connecting the neighborhood.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, utcltjay said:

You're telling me!  And as I live in those townhomes, I really wasn't too happy getting boxed in either!  But I guess that's what you get for living in such a changing neighborhood.  I'll gladly take the added retail and development, just miss my view!

Oh wow. Sorry. And now that they’re saying a 17 or 19 story building will be like a couple blocks away, that will definitely take more of your view away.

2 hours ago, CTiger said:

Courtesy of Jason Thomas on Instagram.  Here is what is coming to Morehead and Mint.  17 story apartment building (12 floors of apartments above 5 floors of parking) ZERO retail.  
Thought we would get something much better on that piece of property.  

6FA12493-E835-435E-BD67-C9B04CF5C131.jpeg

0D082C85-C9A8-467A-A8F4-16334BBEDB74.jpeg

39AF8318-AE41-4222-A48F-CBF3A3026EC8.jpeg

This is the one destroying the fenced buildings too right?

Truly an abomination.

4 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

You are all gonna hate this take, but not every building needs retail, and apartment density is good. There is a ton of retail space coming online in south-end around this. It will make that space more vibrant and in demand. 

To be clear though. There should have been a restaurant/bar space. 

not rendering a judgment on this particular project’s design, but it is possible to have streetscape activation and pedestrian engagement without ground-level restaurants/retail/bars.  In America, streetscape activation means the opportunity for passersby to spend money.  Doesn’t have to be so.

Having said all that, Morehead is such a main thoroughfare, I’d love to see some sort of plaza feature with a fountain or public art at least giving people a reason to walk and gather and linger.  Likely won’t happen I’m sure.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

You are all gonna hate this take, but not every building needs retail, and apartment density is good. There is a ton of retail space coming online in south-end around this. It will make that space more vibrant and in demand. 

To be clear though. There should have been a restaurant/bar space. 

Not every building needs retail but this building in particular takes up an entire city block and that should matter.  Also this location deserves retail.   There might not be a ton of foot traffic now, but think about when Riverside, Enterprise, and possibly an eventual Panthers entertainment district are all surrounding this.  We will look back on it as a huge missed opportunity.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

I am okay with this not having any retail. Plenty of other new developments will have retail.

Agree. I still see a ton of empty retail space in recently built commercial and residential buildings. Plus, Morehead and Mint isn't particularly pedestrian friendly and retail here wouldn't change that. Plus, as you mentioned, there will be plenty of retail at nearby projects.  I like this overall. 

• Like 3