SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

On 5/14/2022 at 1:00 PM, nicholas said:

Imo the best modern tower in NC looks like this at the bottom.  I can't even remember (or tell) which storefronts remained and which were torn down and incorporated into the project.  You can't really see the tower from the sidewalk because it's set back from everything.  What is stopping Charlotte developers from doing similar?

IMG_2768.thumb.JPG.0a0dbbf3e79d6606dab91b542c1d61fd.JPG

I had to Google this to see exactly what you're referring to and get a screen grab.  That's just awesome.  Bravo, Durham!

Screenshot_20220515-183543_Maps.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I heard rumors of this project in the Gold District a couple of months ago at an UP meetup  but despite this flashy announcement heard it probably would not happen in its current form.  I think they said it is too tall to be in the Wilmore historic district or that close to it.   And the numbers might not work if it is much shorter.  I did think it was a little bit strange that they did not break out the office or residential space or a hotel  and left it it in flux.   

https://charlotte.axios.com/298559/an-8-story-development-is-coming-to-wilmore/

But I love the idea of the bar underground to honor the gold mining heritage.  

That is beautiful for a midrise

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I heard rumors of this project in the Gold District a couple of months ago at an UP meetup  but despite this flashy announcement heard it probably would not happen in its current form.  I think they said it is too tall to be in the Wilmore historic district.   (This project is located in the historical district albeit at the edge of it)  And the numbers might not work if it is much shorter.  I did think it was a little bit strange that they did not break out the office or residential space or a hotel  and left it it in flux.   

Your post sounds pretty negative on it actually happening 

35 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Your post sounds pretty negative on it actually happening 

the reason is that the historical commission maybe against it as too big and tall as that is in the Wilmore Historic district.  It sounds weird that they have not settled on whether it is apartments, hotel or office space.  That is a lot of real estate classes mentioned.   Most developers who are ready to get going announce how much of each type they want to build so these plans sound fluid.  

I think in this late part of real estate cycle some things announced won't get built for years or at all.  Higher rates squeeze the margins of all developers wanting loans to build their projects.  Only the best projects, and best developers who have strong financial backing will get their projects done in the next couple of years I think. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Where did you hear about an underground bar?  I only see mention in the article of underground parking, which is a plus.

2 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I agree that this is a good looking Rendering.  I think something 8 Story is appropriate for the area.  Pasted photos from the article.

15A2C95A-BC9E-4FEB-8BD8-09BD779E1C92.webp

2D10E88E-C348-4EBD-A450-F817D4DE03FA.webp

08388707-3EC8-4509-91AF-DB195CF60638.webp

F788D7BB-E11E-4B41-B03F-728CC802CA8C.webp

9D9DDB74-C23A-4EE1-84B4-4801652AE950.webp

Eight stories, but two are underground so only six visible stories.  The renderings are beautiful indeed.

22 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Where did you hear about an underground bar?  I only see mention in the article of underground parking, which is a plus.

Eight stories, but two are underground so only six visible stories.  The renderings are beautiful indeed.

underground was mentioned in a Jason Thomas post where in the parking garage they would have a bar in the parking garage to honor the gold mining. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/26/2022 at 10:27 AM, KJHburg said:

underground was mentioned in a Jason Thomas post where in the parking garage they would have a bar in the parking garage to honor the gold mining. 

It's about time!  A whole new theme is brewing......Charlotte Gold, 'Pick of the day', Quartz vein, ....   I'll see you there!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Judging the appearance of these structures is one thing, an aesthetic opinion and architectural exercise. Is there any place that determines how these buildings WORK? how effective they are at providing shelter for the residents? How satisfied the tenants are with the price/comfort equation? How lasting they seem to be after X years of use?

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Judging the appearance of these structures is one thing, an aesthetic opinion and architectural exercise. Is there any place that determines how these buildings WORK? how effective they are at providing shelter for the residents? How satisfied the tenants are with the price/comfort equation? How lasting they seem to be after X years of use?

Never lived in one but… based on the 2x4 framing they have gotta be noisy in terms of neighbor and hallway sounds.

Edited by kermit

4 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

The "historical commission" and a historic district are two different things. The Mecklenburg County Historic Landmarks Commission (of which I'm a member) is only able to issue landmark status to property owners who request it, buy and sell properties in an effort to preserve them, and issue certificates of appropriateness for demo or rehab of landmark structures. We can also delay a demo but only by one year. We don't have any real say on the design of a new building or even what a developer puts on a site, other than to use our certificates of appropriateness or year-long demo delay to try to nudge a project one way or the other.

A historic district, as I understand it, actually has a say in the design of projects in that specific district. But I may be wrong on what the districts can and can't do.

I was speaking of the Wilmore Historic District sorry for the confusion. 

• Like 3