SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

2 hours ago, AltNative said:

a geotech team was taking core samples monday and tuesday at the corner of Mint and Summit. Guess the developer of The Rudisill IS charging ahead with another, shorter scheme after their HDC denial.  Can't wait to see what they come up with.

edited for clarity

You do have to wonder what the HDC will accept for height in Wilmore. Is it 5 floors? 6? You do have the Vue in the 4th Ward Historic District so while this building is clearly not as tall there is some precedent for height in Historic Districts. This will set the precedent for the rest of Mint St as that tow lot is ripe for redevelopment one day.

As a Wilmore resident I would like to think we are getting used to taller buildings going in around us and would not mind an 8 story building like they proposed at the edge of our neighborhood. The developer was at the last community meeting and when they presented their plans there was no immediate pushback from the community on what they were proposing. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, RANYC said:

OK, but not in Charlotte, right?  Haven't we righted all that with the proposed UDO?

we have not, and I say this as someone that has read the entire book, and voted to pass it as a planning commissioner. There is sadly just so many things that are not legal anymore because of building codes in Mecklenburg county that are nonnegotiable. Those who attended the Camp North End walk/talk had a chance to hear it from the horses mouth.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

we have not, and I say this as someone that has read the entire book, and voted to pass it as a planning commissioner. There is sadly just so many things that are not legal anymore because of building codes in Mecklenburg county that are nonnegotiable. Those who attended the Camp North End walk/talk had a chance to hear it from the horses mouth.

Well that's depressing

This Kind Of SmartWalkable, Mixed-use Urbanism Is Illegal To Build In Most American Cities

“This Kind Of Smart, Walkable, Mixed-use Urbanism Is Illegal To Build In Most American Cities is a catchphrase and copypasta that refers to American infrastructure and urban planning, labeling it as unintelligent, non-walkable and inefficient compared to some foreign counterparts.”

Those words struck a chord and had to look it up lol.

https://amp.knowyourmeme.com/memes/this-kind-of-smart-walkable-mixed-use-urbanism-is-illegal-to-build-in-most-american-cities
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if that irony was intentional, but that image of Kowloon probably doesn't represent anything we should be trying to re-create.  

When China lost to the British in the first Opium War, Hong Kong was ceded and officially handed over in 1842. However, the Kowloon site was an exception, with the British allowing the Chinese to stay at the site as long as they did not politically interfere. China went on to fully reclaim the ownership of the Kowloon site in 1947, but its separation from the mainland meant they did little to enforce laws, while Britain also went with a “hands-off” policy. Free from both sides of the law, squatters soon flooded in, and so began the legend of the Kowloon Walled City.

By 1950 the population had grown to 17,000. People moved to the Walled City out of bankruptcy, lack of choice, and to either flee or exploit the lack of law. Construction proliferated alongside population, a truly modern vernacular free from any building regulation or code. Within the darkness of the Walled City, crime, unregulated businesses (everything from opium dens and brothels to plastic bags and spring rolls) and family life went on day after day.

It wasn’t until 1984 that both governments decided the Walled City had become enough of a backwards embarrassment and eyesore that they had to tear it down. In 1992, residents were evicted and given monetary compensation, and the site was converted into a public commemorative park.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DamicoKaren said:

I must've missed and I can't find anything on it but what is this that they are building on the corner of mint and Morehead? 

they are building a 12 story apartment tower Austin developer.  But Id did think it was 15 stories. 

https://www.multihousingnews.com/aspen-heights-breaks-ground-in-charlotte/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

On 7/28/2022 at 1:46 PM, AltNative said:

Personally, I would love to see 2-3 story buildings. Let the Gold District and the rest of Southend be taller. Wilmore is a single family neighborhood almost exclusively and I think anything new should respect that scale.  I would love to see more low, brick buildings with local shops, bars and restaurants line mint (with 2nd  floor apartments/condos above) , especially where the junk yard is.  Virginia Highlands in Atlanta is the perfect example of what I would love to see Mint Street become. Not sure if land values would support that level of density though.

2144599951_vahighland.thumb.jpeg.c697d868b87bdd57d47b70dcbf454f12.jpeg

1472798816_vahighland2.thumb.jpg.4a41facdb64734402ced7ad4ad86dde5.jpg

Thats my neighborhood!

6 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

This is actually a really nicely positioned tower, will help visually connect the Uptown and South End skylines. Seems like the stretch of blocks between Morehead and Carson is going to fill up with prominent towers soon.

It's well positioned for bar and restaurant space, but unbelievably has neither in the current plans...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

It's well positioned for bar and restaurant space, but unbelievably has neither in the current plans...

Is it though? There are basically no bars or restaurants around for several blocks (the brewery to the West of Mint has gone out of business twice); the DOG HOUSE, which I do not understand at all, is only open on very select event days, so it seems like the evidence to date shows this area actually isn't a very good location for this type of stuff. Currently it's a bit of a strange no man's land, though that is subject to change once the apartment buildings currently under construction get completed. 

The CLT HUB business down the street is also really weird, and seems like a half-hearted attempt at such an event-focused bar space. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wilmore said:

Is it though? There are basically no bars or restaurants around for several blocks (the brewery to the West of Mint has gone out of business twice); the DOG HOUSE, which I do not understand at all, is only open on very select event days, so it seems like the evidence to date shows this area actually isn't a very good location for this type of stuff. Currently it's a bit of a strange no man's land, though that is subject to change once the apartment buildings currently under construction get completed. 

The CLT HUB business down the street is also really weird, and seems like a half-hearted attempt at such an event-focused bar space. 

Hopfly seems to be doing well and it’s not far from this site.  In time we will wish we had retail/restaurant in the corridor.

It would be nice to have active use spaces here if not only to be a continuation of the potential entertainment district on the other side of 277.  The underpass and that side of the stadium property is already going to be a momentum killer to whatever activity we may get on the other side of Morehead and it would be nice to pick it right back up here instead of flatline any sort of life. 

2 hours ago, wilmore said:

Hopfly, Slingshot, Lost & Found, Seoul, Ruby Sunshine, all seem to be doing fine. More bars and restaurants around this area would feed off of each other. Plus the added events at the stadium make this area very popular after the events.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wilmore said:

LOL thats why it's well positioned for bars to be there. There are 40+ days a year with 35k+ people going to events a few hundred feet away.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

Hopfly, Slingshot, Lost & Found, Seoul, Ruby Sunshine, all seem to be doing fine. More bars and restaurants around this area would feed off of each other. Plus the added events at the stadium make this area very popular after the events.   

I'm considering that area a different area, though of course if stuff is built out in all these under construction buildings plus the panthers logo lot it could merge into one continuous district. However if we think of what makes sense for an event-focused bar/restaurant, they have to be open pretty late for post-soccer/concert, which is what the Slingshot/etc. block does well (the rest of Charlotte, not so much). Might be tough to get this in an apartment building? 

1 hour ago, wilmore said:

I'm considering that area a different area, though of course if stuff is built out in all these under construction buildings plus the panthers logo lot it could merge into one continuous district. However if we think of what makes sense for an event-focused bar/restaurant, they have to be open pretty late for post-soccer/concert, which is what the Slingshot/etc. block does well (the rest of Charlotte, not so much). Might be tough to get this in an apartment building? 

What has gone out of business at Mint & West, theres a school and houses. Do you mean Mint & Summit?  If so same business, different name, if you look at their logo its still Max & Lola, it's just become Max & Lola 1501 S. Mint, and it does pretty damn well. Though it appears they will be replaced by a residential building of some height.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

What has gone out of business at Mint & West, theres a school and houses. Do you mean Mint & Summit?  If so same business, different name, if you look at their logo its still Max & Lola, it's just become Max & Lola 1501 S. Mint, and it does pretty damn well. Though it appears they will be replaced by a residential building of some height.

not on Mint, behind it, the former Salty Parrot and some other brewery. 

the 1501 S. Mint seems to be crushing it

21 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

oh on Graham and Palmer. 

Sunstead Brewing – Terrible Beer, merged with Toucan Louies
Toucan Louies – Lost licensing agreement, Terrible Beer, renamed to Salty Parrot
Salty Parrot - Absolutely Terrible Beer fire ant problem.

Bhramari Brewing possibly has a problematic owner, but they seem to be crushing it, and between The Prospect, Avery Hall, Link Gold District and a soon to be announced residential building where the two office buildings with the arch connecting them, theres easily 2200 people coming to the neighborhood over the next couple years. 

I was at Bhramari Brewing prior to a recent CLT FC game and it was packed.  Service was great, good vibe, and the beer isn't bad. 

• Like 2