SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

9 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Too bad solar panels aren't the fad these days instead of sails. 

I dunno, check out the Birdsong announcement today about solar. 

Energy consuming buildings are about to get left behind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AP3 said:

Summit & Mint retail
f59f96db45b6dbf9e0a8c73bde9544d6.jpg62d47c0a0b86261be81975cd46ad16a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have watched this be transformed over the past few months.  Does anyone know what this is going to be?  I read that the small building across the street (left from this view) is going to be transformed into some sort of bodega.

Also - just down the street at the corner of Mint & Carson, I have seen a new sign go up for a huge apartment type of building that would take up that entire corner.  I don't remember seeing anything on this thread about that development.  Any news on that one?

12 hours ago, atlrvr said:

That is just a marketing rendering of what could go there.  The site is being marketed for sale....cool rendering though.

no attachment :-(

23 minutes ago, Prodev said:

golden gateway.png

I saw that sign posted the other week - I checked on Accela but didn't see anything at all.  Would love to see something like that, but with all retail on the ground floor, at least fronting Mint.

16 hours ago, AP3 said:

Summit & Mint retail

Looks like they have signed a tenant for the corner spot, Yume Bistro, to bring another Asian restaurant to South End. A ramen place with some other small plates their spot in Matthews has some great reviews. South End is really turning into the mecca of Asian or Asian inspired restaurants as we have Futo Buta, a couple of Sushi place in O-ku, Yamazura, Nikkos, Thai Taste (technically Dilworth), Rai Lay, Wu's (had to get creative with Cajun Asian), Seoul Food Meat Co (Asian inspired instead of traditional), and the announced but not yet open Korean fast casual place on Camden next to Blaze Pizza. While they all are a little unique it does seems like some over saturation. 

Mint St.JPG

45 minutes ago, AP3 said:

I saw that sign posted the other week - I checked on Accela but didn't see anything at all.  Would love to see something like that, but with all retail on the ground floor, at least fronting Mint.

This is the concept site plan for what its worth

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 9.59.52 AM.png

On 7/19/2017 at 9:43 AM, jjwilli said:

Looks like they have signed a tenant for the corner spot, Yume Bistro, to bring another Asian restaurant to South End. A ramen place with some other small plates their spot in Matthews has some great reviews. South End is really turning into the mecca of Asian or Asian inspired restaurants as we have Futo Buta, a couple of Sushi place in O-ku, Yamazura, Nikkos, Thai Taste (technically Dilworth), Rai Lay, Wu's (had to get creative with Cajun Asian), Seoul Food Meat Co (Asian inspired instead of traditional), and the announced but not yet open Korean fast casual place on Camden next to Blaze Pizza. While they all are a little unique it does seems like some over saturation. 

Mint St.JPG

That honor still goes to Central Avenue. 

Japanese/Thai/Korean are all different styles of cuisines from completely different countries. Two or three of each can't hurt.

5,000 pizza restaurants is over saturation, but that is still very welcome in my book.

Japanese, Thai, Korean, Sichuan, Cantonese, Su, Hainan, Hunan, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Malay, Filipino, Indonesian, Indian... there are dozens of different cuisines of Asia, all extremely different, and most underrepresented in Charlotte. I welcome any new restaurants, as long as they're not "Asian fusion" abominations that serve burgers with soy sauce on them.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, asthasr said:

Japanese, Thai, Korean, Sichuan, Cantonese, Su, Hainan, Hunan, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Malay, Filipino, Indonesian, Indian... there are dozens of different cuisines of Asia, all extremely different, and most underrepresented in Charlotte. I welcome any new restaurants, as long as they're not "Asian fusion" abominations that serve burgers with soy sauce on them.

This. We have Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian pretty well represented, and that's really it (Korean is arguable but we don't have many authentic full Korean menus). I can't believe how little authentic Chinese there is in the area of any variety; Cary, which most of us lament as a bland sprawling suburb, has multiple restaurants for most of the cuisines you mentioned.

^ I used to live in that building in its first year, and even then I could tell it was VERY cheaply built compared to every other apartment building I've been in. The price was right at the time, but now they charge some of the higher rents in Southend somehow. Mosaic just went through similar repair process that seemed to take forever.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Why is this relatively new apartment complex I think 1225 South Church having massive repair work on the facade already? Maybe we should slow down and build it right the first time. I assume it is water intrusion problem. 

DSCN3578.JPG

I live in this building and I'd love to know what the deal is.  This particular building (Phase II of 1225 South Church) was finished in 2012.  They started this massive renovation project in October 2016 and it's still going on--so their original exterior lasted only 4 years.  For over 8 months we haven't had full access to our parking lot/driveway.  Any given apartment lost balcony access for about 3 months, and had construction noise for the same.  I had no natural light in my apartment for 10 days since the exposed wood (and windows) were covered by a tarp.

If I had known this was going to happen, I never would have moved in, but somehow it never occurred to me that a 4-year-old building would need such intensive work done.  Must've been really crummy construction in the first place.

• Like 1