SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

On 7/24/2017 at 2:57 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

A Spanish (Spaniard?) couple I know once told me that South End is going down the "predictable" route to becoming an "Wealthy Ghetto." They say they have many of them in Western Europe.

I'd be interested to know more about what they mean. It seems to me that the extremely bad construction will lead to it becoming more dilapidated than "wealthy."

1 hour ago, asthasr said:

I'd be interested to know more about what they mean. It seems to me that the extremely bad construction will lead to it becoming more dilapidated than "wealthy."

The way I read it is that an area that is perceived to be nice and fairly well-to-do (with the rental rates that goes along with that perception) in reality is a concentration of subpar or straight up crap construction. By then whoever owns the buildings will put little money into them since it won't be the hip, new hood anymore. 

On 7/29/2017 at 4:38 PM, go_vertical said:

The way I read it is that an area that is perceived to be nice and fairly well-to-do (with the rental rates that goes along with that perception) in reality is a concentration of subpar or straight up crap construction. By then whoever owns the buildings will put little money into them since it won't be the hip, new hood anymore. 

Call me naive but I don't see a big risk of neighborhood decline from crappy apartment construction in Southend. Given the entry of big office tenants like DFA (plus whatever is going into the design center) I suspect there will be plenty of developer money sloshing around the neighborhood to buy and demo the crap in order to rebuild something denser. The old 'just abandon the decaying structure and move to the next greenfield site' model seems to be nearly dead in cities Charlotte's size.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

On 7/29/2017 at 4:38 PM, go_vertical said:

I don't think the term "Wealthy Ghetto" has anything to do with construction or housing quality.  Most use the term Wealthy Ghetto, or RIch Ghetto as a term to imply that the area is devoid of any other "kinds" other than the rich.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, archiham04 said:

I don't think the term "Wealthy Ghetto" has anything to do with construction or housing quality.  Most use the term Wealthy Ghetto, or RIch Ghetto as a term to imply that the area is devoid of any other "kinds" other than the rich.

Bingo. I'm just coming back to this post. Yes with the implication that the culture is either "sterile", or detached and distant from the real problems of the world, making it, in the minds of many who value reality, undesirable and destitute.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, the Hovis Radiator building at Summit/Southwood is finally going to get some love.  The exterior is going to see mild renovation, and it's going to be converted to office/distribution space.

I believe it's for the new owner, which is KASK helmets (bike, snowboard,etc)

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

So, the Hovis Radiator building at Summit/Southwood is finally going to get some love.  The exterior is going to see mild renovation, and it's going to be converted to office/distribution space.

Now, this one REALLY is in the back yard of the old Rudisill Gold Mine.  I think, if I could retire right now, I'd snatch up something right along there and open one of the mine shafts and create  an underground brewpub serving.....Charlotte Gold, Miners' Pick, or whatever.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

That's awesome news.  That is a cool building that could definitely use a facelift.

Absolutely, with the density in this area and so many people living there, it will be everything they want. The establishments already in place are doing very well and it is just continuing to grow and add more people to live there. As long as Charlotte continues to grow the way it is, this area is going to see a boom. 

• Like 1