Home buying

dan326

Hey everybody. :) I don't know if I ever mentioned it but my life goal has been to buy a house. I'm about to graduate and if all goes well get a "real" job soon after, so this goal will possbily be attainable in the foreseeable future since I'll still be living with my parents for a while. So my question is what neighborhoods would y'all recommend? For under $175,000??

I only really want a few things that I don't think are too demanding. I ranked them from most to least important.

• Formal dining room/area/space
  • 3 bedrooms
  • Fair sized backyard so I can grow vegetables
  • Preferably in a neighborhood that has a fair amount of trees
  • Younger that 50 years old with a poured foundation
  • Preferably not below I-10

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can get a lot of new houses in Ascension for that price and the builders are covering most of the closing. Plus they qualify for rural development loans which are much better than FHA loans. They require litle to no down and don't require the extra FHA fees.

<p>

Hey everybody. :) I don't know if I ever mentioned it but my life goal has been to buy a house. I'm about to graduate and if all goes well get a "real" job soon after, so this goal will possbily be attainable in the foreseeable future since I'll still be living with my parents for a while. So my question is what neighborhoods would y'all recommend? For under $175,000??

I only really want a few things that I don't think are too demanding. I ranked them from most to least important.

• Formal dining room/area/space
  • 3 bedrooms
  • Fair sized backyard so I can grow vegetables
  • Preferably in a neighborhood that has a fair amount of trees
  • Younger that 50 years old with a poured foundation
  • Preferably not below I-10

You should also consider your area. When you find a neighborhood you like you should drive around it and ask yourself "how will this neighborhood and surrounding neighborhood look in 10-15 years?", "If I had a kid tomorrow would I want him/her to play in this neighborhood?", "What are the population trends: is it getting older, unsafer, younger, etc..""What are my property taxes going to be"

As for price: it's good you don't want south of I-10 because you won't find squat in that price. I'd suggest Ascension. More affordable and safer places. Lower taxes. Etc.

Just for the sake of having all options on the table, you may want to look into Villa del Rey. You can find some real bargains and huge lots. Usually the homes need a bit of updating, but are really solid homes, nonetheless. I'd say most of the houses there will be coming up on the 50 year mark soon, but aren't quite there yet. 

It is one of BR's more diverse neighborhoods, which can be a pro or a con, depending on how you look at it/who you ask. 

Villa Del Rey is fine. You get the benefit of a cheaper neighborhood and the access to Airline and Florida at your doorstep. It only takes 2 minutes to cross Florida and be on the "good side." Most homes in Villa Del Rey are typically in the same shape as those found in Broadmoor and Sherwood Forest. Monticello is in a similar boat although I wouldn't buy in either areas.

Why would you recommend a old home to a first time home buyer? Think of all the upgrades, repairs, and renovations that are going to have to be paid for?

Edit: more importantly why in gods name suggest a place next to Cortana freaking mall???

I said it just to give you a coronary. 

Jeez. An age range was given. Most homes in VDR fall within that age range. 

In any case, this isn't a debate. The OP, if capable of buying a home, is perfectly capable of weighing the factors and making a decision based on what fits his or her needs and lifestyle. 

Lol!! It's always a good time on UP-BR. :D

Thanks everyone! I was looking at Wedgewood, Cedarcrest, The Woodlands, Fairwood, Sherwood Forest, and Hickory Ridge. I still have a real long way to go but I figure the sooner I have a concrete plan, the sooner I can get to work on it.

Lol!! It's always a good time on UP-BR. :D

Thanks everyone! I was looking at Wedgewood, Cedarcrest, The Woodlands, Fairwood, Sherwood Forest, and Hickory Ridge. I still have a real long way to go but I figure the sooner I have a concrete plan, the sooner I can get to work on it.

Cedarcrest and Sherwood are bargains IMO....as long as you stay off the main roads through there with all the traffic.

Yeah, it seems like Sharp is always busy.

Honesty for what he wants to pay, he may find a deal in Ogden or Mid City....although the homes will be smaller and older.

What do they run in Beauregard Town or Spanish Town? He can almost forget about slab on grade at that point though.

Well the main thing I like about newer houses is that they keep those creepy geckos out.

With Baton Rouge's latest freak out, I'd have to recommend a "wait and see" approach to buying.   

Wait to see what happens with St. George, and how Baton Rouge reacts to another municipality in the parish.   It may not be wise to purchase in the city depending on the actions taken by the city/parish metro council.    Their reaction to St. George may hurt the city more than St. George.  

Honesty for what he wants to pay, he may find a deal in Ogden or Mid City....although the homes will be smaller and older.

What do they run in Beauregard Town or Spanish Town? He can almost forget about slab on grade at that point though.

I thought that. This is Urban Planet after all!

Well the main thing I like about newer houses is that they keep those creepy geckos out.

Ahh man you sound like an old woman!

Archived