Sign in to follow this  
GRDadof3

Predictions for the coming year

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yes, Herposheimers (sp?) was in an indoor mall where the police station is now. They tried to make it a "mall for children" but big shocker it failed miserably. No parking. :)

It was such a failure that for nearly a decade after, everyone said that retail would never work downtown and would go the way of Mackey's World. All the Letters to the Editor said so in the GR Press. 

I only brought it up because it was quite a large retail complex and most of the retail downtown has been small 2000 - 4000 sf spaces since then. 

When did the police station move in?

8 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

When did the police station move in?

2001-03ish IIRC.  The police station and county courthouse were relocated in the early 00's to make way for Devos Place.   They were originally part of the urban renewal of the 50s/60's that turned the north end of downtown into a suburban office park, replacing the street level dense district that was there prior. 

• Sad 2

On 5/19/2018 at 8:07 AM, MJLO said:

2001-03ish IIRC.  The police station and county courthouse were relocated in the early 00's to make way for Devos Place.   They were originally part of the urban renewal of the 50s/60's that turned the north end of downtown into a suburban office park, replacing the street level dense district that was there prior. 

Oh man, I always forget that the "Hall of Justice" used to be there.

Grand%20Rapids%20-%20Recent%20(Hall%20of

8a0b145428eee1e5b276cbb9b109a07b.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 10:43 PM, organsnyder said:

A little more I was able to dig up on Mackie's World:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-11-15/travel/9811150410_1_kids-juice-box-rare-illness

https://www.apnews.com/9ace41121e7480b1db3c92e6c13cb4a8

I have vague memories of riding the suspended train when it was City Center. We took the GRATA bus downtown.

I definitely remember riding in that purple suspended train as a child and then again as a less-than-rule-following teenager. 

I will be excited if it is anything except the following: 

1) New Downtown Hotel outside of the proposal in between Windquest and Auditorium. 

2) New downtown headquarters for a regional law firm. 

3) New brewery within 100 mile radius of GR. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1