Predictions for the coming year

GRDadof3

I'm working on an article for a local online pub called "The Most Anticipated Projects in Grand Rapids for 2019." 

What projects are you most excited about for 2019? I just might include them. :)  (I don't have a specific number in mind but I'm up to 10 now, and they can be small as long as they're impactful).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm working on an article for a local online pub called "The Most Anticipated Projects in Grand Rapids for 2019." 

What projects are you most excited about for 2019? I just might include them. :)  (I don't have a specific number in mind but I'm up to 10 now, and they can be small as long as they're impactful).

Studio C, the Hinman Building and whatever DeVos does on Monroe. Also excited to see the Amway grand get reskinned. 

Joe

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm looking forward to the Laker Line to begin construction and to see what improvements it brings to our bus system. Obviously excited for all the major developments too downtown. 

• Like 2

On 12/10/2018 at 10:38 PM, jonrapley said:

I'm looking forward to the Laker Line to begin construction and to see what improvements it brings to our bus system. Obviously excited for all the major developments too downtown. 

I hadn't thought about adding the Laker Line. Noted!

It hasn't been talked about on here but I think I may add Kids Food Basket's new "farm" and operation HQ's on Leonard Street. Certainly doesn't fit our usual urban infill stuff but it's pretty phenomenal. 

https://www.grmag.com/2018/10/28/kids-food-basket-plants-the-seeds-for-growth-with-new-property/

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

It hasn't been talked about on here but I think I may add Kids Food Basket's new "farm" and operation HQ's on Leonard Street. Certainly doesn't fit our usual urban infill stuff but it's pretty phenomenal. 

https://www.grmag.com/2018/10/28/kids-food-basket-plants-the-seeds-for-growth-with-new-property/

Agreed.   Glad to see this property that was a family farm for decades, continue in the capacity as a part of the overall plan.   

1 minute ago, mpchicago said:

Agreed.   Glad to see this property that was a family farm for decades, continue in the capacity as a part of the overall plan.   

Yes! And they'll actually use the food they grow in their programs. And they'll have greenhouses to grow food year round.  I visited a similar urban farm in Detroit that provides a lot of food to a gleaners right down the street. 

17 hours ago, arcturus said:

Amazon and growing number of commercial developments popping up from the airport down to 68th stimulating housing, retail, and hotels.  The planners of M-6 were prescient.   

I was just out there and saw there are some huge new buildings along Broadmoor near 52nd. I don't remember those there 3 or 4 months ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Nice job. Now I need to start prepping my predictions for 2019 / scoring my 2018 predictions. 

Joe

Thanks Joe! I know, it's not really a predictions article. I need to start postulating what I think will happen that hasn't been announced yet... 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

2019 Project Article. I did usurp some images from here so let me know if you have an issue with dat. :) 

http://www.grnow.com/grand-rapids-most-anticipated-projects-of-2019/

Of all of those, I have to admit that the Hinman project is the one that takes the cake for me.   While not the tower it once was, I think it's the best large-scale piece of architecture going in downtown, and looks better than it did when it was taller.  Studio Park will be big, but I think this will be better.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jonrapley said:

It's such a good list to read through. Just when you think things are slowing down, you get reminded so much more is on the way. 

Thanks. It was a ton of work (on Christmas Day basically). I didn't mind though. 

28 minutes ago, x99 said:

Of all of those, I have to admit that the Hinman project is the one that takes the cake for me.   While not the tower it once was, I think it's the best large-scale piece of architecture going in downtown, and looks better than it did when it was taller.  Studio Park will be big, but I think this will be better.

We don't really have a building that looks like that, that wasn't built 100 years ago. It will be pretty fascinating to see it come together. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Thanks. It was a ton of work (on Christmas Day basically). I didn't mind though. 

We don't really have a building that looks like that, that wasn't built 100 years ago. It will be pretty fascinating to see it come together. 

I like the look, but it will also be an interesting project to watch logistically. It going to be interesting to see how they move things around on such a small lot. 

Joe

My 10 layman's predictions for the coming year. Split between optimism and pessimism. 

1) Studio C will finally force downtown retail to turn a corner. This will lead to something new and exiting in at least one of the major downtown vacancies (38 Commerce, 20 Fulton, Morton, etc.). 

2) We won't see movement on the DeVos Convention Center Hotel. I think CAA will stall to see what occupancy is like after a bevy of hotels come online (Curio, AC Hotel, Hyatt Place, Residence Inn, Embassy Suites, etc.)

3) We'll finally see movement at 201 Market, but it will differ in scope from the original proposal. 

4) Gordon's or Bridge Street Market will be forced to reinvent themselves as neither really fills a true downtown grocery need. 

5) We'll see a flurry of development in Monroe North area with manufacturing moving out and residential/retail/restaurants coming in. This will stretch from 196 up to the Creston district. 

6) A major, historical downtown restaurant will shutter or reinvent itself (Leo's, Gardella's, Sanchez, Bistro, Charley's Crab, etc.). 

7) Downtown USPS will finally move to coincide with Amazon warehouse opening and the weird bi-partisan tailwinds at play. DeVos will obviously be involved in some capacity. 

8) Fragmentation of downtown parking payments will not improve. Motu will continue to frustrate. 

9) We'll see major corporate QSR players begin to invest in downtown. Think Chipotle, Five Guys, etc.

10) Finally, this may be optimistic to some and pessimistic to others, we'll see the entrance of a scooter rental company (Bird or Lime). 

• Like 1

Final Bonus 2019 pessimistic prediction: Grand Rapids will temporarily struggle with identity in a post-Art Prize & post-Craft Beer environment. I predict three primary events that will drive this: 

-Founders will announce a significant brewery expansion in a major coastal city which will depress Grand Rapid's reputation as a craft beer destination.

-Studio C will compete with the theater at UICA and ultimately force Kendall to make some difficult decisions with remaining at The Gallery. Ultimately, I think they move indie films back into 41 Sheldon and exhibitions are absorbed into the existing campus. 

-Project 1 will be ambitious, but fail to capture the momentum that ArtPrize had. It will bring great art to town, but will alienate a significant amount of attendees/patrons that enjoyed the kitschy crap that popped up every year. 

1 hour ago, kwl said:

Final Bonus 2019 pessimistic prediction: Grand Rapids will temporarily struggle with identity in a post-Art Prize & post-Craft Beer environment. I predict three primary events that will drive this: 

-Founders will announce a significant brewery expansion in a major coastal city which will depress Grand Rapid's reputation as a craft beer destination.

-Studio C will compete with the theater at UICA and ultimately force Kendall to make some difficult decisions with remaining at The Gallery. Ultimately, I think they move indie films back into 41 Sheldon and exhibitions are absorbed into the existing campus. 

-Project 1 will be ambitious, but fail to capture the momentum that ArtPrize had. It will bring great art to town, but will alienate a significant amount of attendees/patrons that enjoyed the kitschy crap that popped up every year. 

I don't want to rain on the negative prediction parade, but I think Founders agreeing to having Avery Brewery do contract brewing for them will alleviate the short term need to do so.

• Like 2

I'll have a go at this.

1.  The topic of parking continues to dominate any article regarding downtown development.

2. The 3 houses along Michigan street between, the third coast residential building and Jimmy John's are demolished and plans for another appartment building are released. 

3. Initial plans are drawn up to relocate the USPS building downtown. However it will be a slow process, with the river restoration starting up and the redevelopment of the 196 bridge close by.

4. More construction along Brige street as developers eye up the current El Sombrero site for future infill. 

5. GRFC unveil plans for a new 10,000 stadium somewhere on the outskirts of the downtown core. My guess is north of the city by the river or somewhere on the westside. 

6. 201 Market site stalls with little news.

7. An increase of development on south division along the silver line route, including income restricted mixed use projects. 

8. Project 1 turns out to be very underwhelming.

9. Talk of Whole Foods opening up in the area intensifies.

10. Ridership grows on the Rapid bus system and hours of service are extended past midnight. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kwl said:

I think Project 1 will be a big hit for a certain crowd (I think I'm going to love it), but you're right the normal AP crowds will be bummed. The complaints about "I miss the BOB parking lot" and  "no metal dragons?!" will be overwhelming on social media. And someone better plan for a massive Jesus crucifix or there just might be blood in the streets. :)  (no Jesus pun intended)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I think Project 1 will be a big hit for a certain crowd (I think I'm going to love it), but you're right the normal AP crowds will be bummed. The complaints about "I miss the BOB parking lot" and  "no metal dragons?!" will be overwhelming on social media. And someone better plan for a massive Jesus crucifix or there just might be blood in the streets. :)  (no Jesus pun intended)

I'm sure I'll love it too, but can't help to feel that ArtPrize has lost is voice. Obviously we're not competitive with Art Basel or SXSW. My biggest gripe is that there was a failure to add anything truly transformative over the years. Art, was for the most part, 90% the same. We needed more music, film, performance, etc. that could offer something truly unique on a year-to-year basis. 

• Like 3