Predictions for the coming year

GRDadof3

39 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

:rofl:  25 stories of it will be a Christian School, paid for by the taxpayers. 

Oh my god, you totally went there with it! I was going to make a joke along those lines and include that the crowning jewel of the building would be three red, white, and blue crosses at the top. 

This is all hyperbolic...right? PLEASE PROMISE IT IS! haha. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

In a total epiphany at the gym, my prediction came to me! With all the talk/speculation/wishful thinking that Betsy DeVos' proximity to the President Elect will help move the Post Office, I predict that Amway Hotel Corp. will tear down the Post Office and franchise out a 50 story gold plated Trump Hotel. 

There. That is my nightmare, er, prediction for '17. 

Gift shop will have Trump branded "Grabbers".IMG_2803.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Oh my god, you totally went there with it! I was going to make a joke along those lines and include that the crowning jewel of the building would be three red, white, and blue crosses at the top. 

This is all hyperbolic...right? PLEASE PROMISE IT IS! haha. 

I've seen the plans, looks like a Church of Scientology. Although I guess it would be a Church of Anti-Science-Tology? :rofl:

Kidding! Totally kidding. 

35 minutes ago, jpgreenline said:

Hey everyone! Fellow silent-snooper-turned-account-owner here. I thought I'd share this video I've just come across in this thread as I think it's a very important conversation piece.

Good to see some more new blood in here.  I've noticed the forum getting a few more members lately. 

On 12/10/2016 at 6:41 AM, GVSUChris said:

In a total epiphany at the gym, my prediction came to me! With all the talk/speculation/wishful thinking that Betsy DeVos' proximity to the President Elect will help move the Post Office, I predict that Amway Hotel Corp. will tear down the Post Office and franchise out a 50 story gold plated Trump Hotel. 

There. That is my nightmare, er, prediction for '17. 

If the DeVos family is involved will it be a Trump Pyramid?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wingbert said:

It would be a very good pyramid, a great pyramid, I mean it would just be the very best pyramid ever.  It would be yuge.  We're going to build a Trump Tower in Grand Rapids and we're going to make Detroit pay for it.

Yeah, I think Flint should pay for it too. 

• Like 1

Here's my prediction, and forgive me for tying this in to politics, but I think I'm probably at least sort of right and all of the joking sort of inspired me... I'll try to stick to facts as much as possible so this doesn't get off the rails... 

Trump knows states like Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania put him over the top in a squeaker.  That was supposed to be a blue wall.  He blasted a hole in it for the first time in decades.  Trump knows he has to hold those states again.  If he holds those states, he can afford to lose lots of other ones next time.  That massively changes the political dynamic, and the importance of the Midwest.  Whether you like Trump or hate the guy, the fact that he torched Hillary Clinton on the altar of the Rust Belt may prove to be the best thing that has ever happened for  out little corner of the country.  The guy promised to bring back jobs, and I have to think he is going to use the bully pulpit as to the fullest extent to try to get that done.  Either the economy grows like crazy and outsourcing stops and factories start rebuilding and hiring, or Trump finds a way to siphon cash into the "blue wall" states by redirecting government cash.  Infrastructure, government buildings, moving employees, pork barrel cash to the Midwest--you name it. What all of this looks like, I don't know, but it does seem to give a better shot for all of our "wouldn't it be nice" lists  to actually happen.  Higher employment=more disposable income=more people coming=more buildings

So like the guy or hate him, I don't think any of us will hardly remember a time when so much attention will have been lavished on an area that many had written off.  Not a terribly specific prediction, but on a "big picture" level I think it works.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, x99 said:

Here's my prediction, and forgive me for tying this in to politics, but I think I'm probably at least sort of right and all of the joking sort of inspired me... I'll try to stick to facts as much as possible so this doesn't get off the rails... 

Trump knows states like Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania put him over the top in a squeaker.  That was supposed to be a blue wall.  He blasted a hole in it for the first time in decades.  Trump knows he has to hold those states again.  If he holds those states, he can afford to lose lots of other ones next time.  That massively changes the political dynamic, and the importance of the Midwest.  Whether you like Trump or hate the guy, the fact that he torched Hillary Clinton on the altar of the Rust Belt may prove to be the best thing that has ever happened for  out little corner of the country.  The guy promised to bring back jobs, and I have to think he is going to use the bully pulpit as to the fullest extent to try to get that done.  Either the economy grows like crazy and outsourcing stops and factories start rebuilding and hiring, or Trump finds a way to siphon cash into the "blue wall" states by redirecting government cash.  Infrastructure, government buildings, moving employees, pork barrel cash to the Midwest--you name it. What all of this looks like, I don't know, but it does seem to give a better shot for all of our "wouldn't it be nice" lists  to actually happen.  Higher employment=more disposable income=more people coming=more buildings

So like the guy or hate him, I don't think any of us will hardly remember a time when so much attention will have been lavished on an area that many had written off.  Not a terribly specific prediction, but on a "big picture" level I think it works.

^^^ Don't agree but would rather not turn this into a political discussion.  So I'm just here to register my disagreement and move on.  Interesting take, though.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RegalTDP said:

^^^ Don't agree but would rather not turn this into a political discussion.  So I'm just here to register my disagreement and move on.  Interesting take, though.

Eh, I'm trying to be dispassionate, which isn't always easy.  But it at least makes sense to me that if there is a way to start dumping cash into this area on the federal level, it will happen.  That always greases the skids for everything else a little bit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, x99 said:

Eh, I'm trying to be dispassionate, which isn't always easy.  But it at least makes sense to me that if there is a way to start dumping cash into this area on the federal level, it will happen.  That always greases the skids for everything else a little bit.  

I get what you're saying - I'm trying to be dispassionate too, and I agree that scenario might give some benefit to the area.  I just don't see things playing out that way. Cheers :alc:

3 hours ago, x99 said:

I would agree with your take in a way, there's been a lot of talk of "investing in infrastructure" coming from Trump and even the GOP doesn't like the sounds of it. Apparently they don't believe in calling it "pork barrel" spending anymore though. But it worked during the Great Depression with The New Deal, putting millions of basically untrained workers back to work filling potholes and planting trees. 

I don't know that he'll specifically siphon money this way, but we definitely need a lot of infrastructure improvements and our state legislature is unable to figure out how to do it. 

This whole election cycle is like Opposite George Constanza. 

Apparently Trulia sees a link between Trump and housing markets. I'm not making this stuff up. :P

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2016/12/trump_factors_in_grand_rapids.html

I didn't vote for Trump, in case anyone was wondering. :P

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SEsideguy said:

There has to be some "Stimulus" money left over somewhere????

From what I remember about the stimulus funding (assuming you mean Obama's ARRA program post recession), the requirement that projects be "shovel ready" within a pretty short period of time exempted a lot of projects. I have multiple family members who work in architecture and engineering fields and I remember the complaints that the stimulus program could have been done a lot better than it was handled. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.grnow.com/the-most-anticipated-projects-of-2017/

Pretty good summary hear of the projects we can expect to see in the next year, I'll add the expansion/modernization of GRR as well as some growth like the hotels and restraunts around the switch data center. And it didn't mention the Grandville castle but I really hope that does spur some development there with new streets ape and retail near 196/28th, and the downtown only being 3 blocks away, hopefully that spills over. One other think is the expanded retail along east belt line near knapp 

• Like 1