Jump to content

GRDadof3

Predictions for the coming year

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm really hoping this year we hear more about:

) The CAA voting to move forward with the convention center hotel, and maybe see it start to rise in 2020

) The MSU Innovation Center project get kicked off, again, rising in 2020

) Consumers Energy getting started on their West Side project

) The residential tower and office building of Studio Park formally kicked off,  getting started in 2020

I want at least 3 if not 5 tower cranes in the sky every year from here on out. :) (not including the Amway hotel's)

I see that Consumers Energy has filed an application with the Planning Commission for their GRHQ project, so there's one thing hopefully off your list soon! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


A few people (myself included) have predicted a consolidation of Spectrum's offices.  Does anyone see this happening anytime soon?  They have a lot of smaller offices up and down Michigan and around the city.  It seems like it would be easier logistically to build one larger building to accommodate all these offices.  They could also add more parking below the building.  Michigan and Lafayette would be an ideal location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

A few people (myself included) have predicted a consolidation of Spectrum's offices.  Does anyone see this happening anytime soon?  They have a lot of smaller offices up and down Michigan and around the city.  It seems like it would be easier logistically to build one larger building to accommodate all these offices.  They could also add more parking below the building.  Michigan and Lafayette would be an ideal location.

There are rumblings, but it sounds like it’s trending more suburban in nature :(   We shall see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Floyd_Z said:

A few people (myself included) have predicted a consolidation of Spectrum's offices.  Does anyone see this happening anytime soon?  They have a lot of smaller offices up and down Michigan and around the city.  It seems like it would be easier logistically to build one larger building to accommodate all these offices.  They could also add more parking below the building.  Michigan and Lafayette would be an ideal location.

There have been plenty of talks lately for one consolidated building..... except that Spectrum wants to build it on their property on Leffingwell and Bradford. I don't think anything has officially been announced because the city, as to be expected, is adamantly opposed to it.

 

SpectrumPlace.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Floyd_Z said:

A few people (myself included) have predicted a consolidation of Spectrum's offices.  Does anyone see this happening anytime soon?  They have a lot of smaller offices up and down Michigan and around the city.  It seems like it would be easier logistically to build one larger building to accommodate all these offices.  They could also add more parking below the building.  Michigan and Lafayette would be an ideal location.

I would be shocked if they did. Healthcare is notoriously reactive to the slightest shifts in revenue. It makes it very difficult for a regional healthcare organization to dedicate the savings needed to construct a large building for strictly administrative purposes. Also, donors don’t line up to donate to administrative offices. I think Spectrum, Mercy, Metro, Pine Rest, and MFB will be perpetual lessees when it comes to administrative offices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I would be shocked if they did. Healthcare is notoriously reactive to the slightest shifts in revenue. It makes it very difficult for a regional healthcare organization to dedicate the savings needed to construct a large building for strictly administrative purposes. Also, donors don’t line up to donate to administrative offices. I think Spectrum, Mercy, Metro, Pine Rest, and MFB will be perpetual lessees when it comes to administrative offices. 

Can't say too much. But this is 100% happening. Really disappointed they are moving admin service away from downtown and medical mile. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NewAccountForThisOnePost said:

Can't say too much. But this is 100% happening. Really disappointed they are moving admin service away from downtown and medical mile. 

Oh geez! Good thing I moved away from the East Beltline. That's a huge chunk of land, I think nearly 35 acres. 

Does anyone think this will really have an adverse affect on downtown? Spectrum is growing so fast that the space that hundreds of admin vacate to move to this spot will probably be eaten up by medical services. It's still in the city of GR so tax revenue won't be lost. Albiet it would be nice if they built a new HQ somewhere near downtown. 

458590370_SpectrumLandonLeffingwell.thumb.jpg.ed5801f7acb7a823b9cb4f78426bc349.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The road infrastructure there is awful. I'm visiting OAM regularly (spine surgery #4 in 2 weeks) and WM Cardiology for pre-op clearance . Leffingwell, Leonard to Bradford and Bradford, Leffingwell to The EBL are potholed 2 lane roads not having any improvement since probably the 50's other some seal coating and pothole filling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it is a lot of admin space is being consolidated  and medical serives are expanding into those sites. Idk how much say the city has but im intrigued  to know their side. Definitely  interesting if this is true.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the streets if/when this happens. I don’t think leffingwell or Bradford can handle much additional traffic, and trying to get on the Beltline at Bradford to head north will be a nearly impossible task at rush hour. 

Speaking of the Beltline, I’m amazed that someone hasn’t swept in and bought up the eaglecrest office park. It’s such and outdated layout, and could be transformed into a much higher density, usable space. I have to imagine that most of the buildings are class B or C office space (based on the current users). The parking lots are a mess, some buildings could be added onto, and the I think if someone built a master plan around redevelopment, they could turn it into a really nice office park. 

Always thought this would be a great place for Priority Health to move with their current land-locked location with limited parking  

Joe

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the streets if/when this happens. I don’t think leffingwell or Bradford can handle much additional traffic, and trying to get on the Beltline at Bradford to head north will be a nearly impossible task at rush hour. 

Speaking of the Beltline, I’m amazed that someone hasn’t swept in and bought up the eaglecrest office park. It’s such and outdated layout, and could be transformed into a much higher density, usable space. I have to imagine that most of the buildings are class B or C office space (based on the current users). The parking lots are a mess, some buildings could be added onto, and the I think if someone built a master plan around redevelopment, they could turn it into a really nice office park. 

Always thought this would be a great place for Priority Health to move with their current land-locked location with limited parking  

Joe

 

Great minds think alike. I've always thought the same about Eagle Park. So underutilized and such a high profile spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Great minds think alike. I've always thought the same about Eagle Park. So underutilized and such a high profile spot. 

Redevelopment is good idea, but it might be a bit tricky since the buildings/property is not owned by a single entity.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know one of those buildings houses AAA, and they bought the building only some 6 or so years ago. I'm not sure they'd be very keen to sell it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm ok with them building on this site.  It will probably be a sea of parking though.  As far as traffic concerns, wouldn't most employees just use Leonard and only use Bradford if they want to go west on 196?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

I'm ok with them building on this site.  It will probably be a sea of parking though.  As far as traffic concerns, wouldn't most employees just use Leonard and only use Bradford if they want to go west on 196?

Future plans include being able to get on 96 at Leonard and go West on 196. A big Spectrum project would probably accelerate this. 

I bet they build a small ramp. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Spectrum project was confirmed by another person on Facebook. Wonder what they're timeframe is? And when they plan to announce? 

And dear god make it look better than that bland Acrisure HQ building we saw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

This Spectrum project was confirmed by another person on Facebook. Wonder what they're timeframe is? And when they plan to announce? 

And dear god make it look better than that bland Acrisure HQ building we saw. 

From what I can tell, it sounds like a consolidation of several ancillary departments, I can’t tell if they are moving all administrative functions there.  No one that I’ve heard discussing it has mentioned anything about the C-suite relocating.  It may not be an official corporate headquarters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MJLO said:

From what I can tell, it sounds like a consolidation of several ancillary departments, I can’t tell if they are moving all administrative functions there.  No one that I’ve heard discussing it has mentioned anything about the C-suite relocating.  It may not be an official corporate headquarters.

The post on my FB said the C-suite was relocating as well (and has been planned for some time). I deleted the post now as I'm not sure I want to be the one who can be traced to this leaking. :)

I didn't realize also that Spectrum's HR dept is in Bridgewater.  They are scattered around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The post on my FB said the C-suite was relocating as well (and has been planned for some time). I deleted the post now as I'm not sure I want to be the one who can be traced to this leaking. :)

I didn't realize also that Spectrum's HR dept is in Bridgewater.  They are scattered around. 

Yep, at one point there was at least a joke about buying Varnum out of their lease in Bridgewater and consolidating there.  I think it was only ever a fleeting notion.  There are a couple buildings around downtown that could be disproportionately affected. I don’t know what departments/buildings ect.  I know I’m not going to speculate too much lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, MJLO said:

From what I can tell, it sounds like a consolidation of several ancillary departments, I can’t tell if they are moving all administrative functions there.  No one that I’ve heard discussing it has mentioned anything about the C-suite relocating.  It may not be an official corporate headquarters.

C-Suite is (or at least was) located in the North Office Building attached to the Spectrum parking ramp. I would imagine they would want to maintain that close presence to the main hospital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

The post on my FB said the C-suite was relocating as well (and has been planned for some time). I deleted the post now as I'm not sure I want to be the one who can be traced to this leaking. :)

I didn't realize also that Spectrum's HR dept is in Bridgewater.  They are scattered around. 

Yes, they are. Revenue Integrity, payer relations, credentialing, and Finance are located in the old Widdicomb Building. Physician Relations and Operations (among others) are located in Brass Works. IT is located out by the pyramid and across from the arena. I believe MedNow and Compliance are also located in that Monroe office building as well. Billing is located in a warehouse-type office out by the airport. HR and MPIE (which I believe has split from Spectrum) is located in Bridgewater. I'm missing quite a few departments in administration, but they are indeed spread all over. Administration is so diverse and bloated that it would require a very large building to accommodate all of them. Also, will it be hospital, corporate, and Medical Group? Each division has its own administration.

Edited by GRLaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, organsnyder said:

Don't forget Priority. That campus is bursting at the seams, and there would definitely be advantages to having them be colocated.

Good point. Last I knew, PH had to start having employees work from home due to lack of space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.