Predictions for the coming year

GRDadof3

On 1/4/2020 at 10:02 AM, Floyd_Z said:

One small prediction....

Whole Foods will announce a GR location.  I've been seeing a lot of commercials for them lately, which has kind of piqued my interest

I was going to put something about that in my predictions but I haven't heard a peep from anyone about WF's coming to the area. I see a lot of ads but I chalk that up to my Amazon Prime membership. 

An Ariel tram will connect Spectrum Health on Monroe to the hill.
Plans for a county wide Ariel tram from millennium Park to Meijer gardens are reinvigorated.
Founders will distribute it's NA beer (it's delicious and a growing catgeory).
Spectrum Health reaches a deal with Hughes property to buy 1300 Michigan (minimally) to keep it out of Michigan Medicines hands.
It doesn't work and Michigan Medicine announces a downtown urgent care and a concierge medicine clinic a la Mayo.
A lucky strike is announced at the heart of the hotel district.
Spectrum opens a medical hotel on the football field to replace Renucci House, Renucci House becomes medical resident housing.
The ground floor of the new hotel is a partnership with MVP and a they start a medical fitness program that doubles as gym for employees (please!)
Consolidation occurs in rehab and TBI due to auto no fault changes.
North Ottawa hospital finally closes, site is converted to condos.
Tesla opens a showroom downtown.
Transit to the Lakeshore talks start
Transit to Holland via Chicago drive BRT goes to pilot
Plans made for connecting belknap hill to Monroe are finalized ahead of the spectrum ground breaking...a funicular is not included.
Urban Target near studio park
Kent country club closes and becomes Grand rapids central park.
A two story Starbucks Reserve opens as infill on the corner Monroe and Michigan.
Starbucks opens an Allendale stand alone bldg
Trader Joe's or aldis opens in standale
Olive garden or bravo cucina open in standale.
Movies on Monroe lot announces plans to become a food truck park in 2021.
Bird scooters arrive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Eastern, south of Wealthy, will start to see multiple properties go up for sale. Development plans for at least one project by June.

• The old Duthlers on Bridge will be sold and redeveloped into a urban Target or Walmart. Neither will sell groceries and will instead be hard goods and some clothes in order to complement BSM, but not compete with each other.

• The Laker Line will be very successful and will facilitate rapid (yeah) development in Standale of both retail and residential projects.

• The ICCF building will be converted into housing, boutique hotel, and some office space.

• LaFontsee Gallery will sell their parking lot to Ellis or the city where it will become a 3-story ramp

• The project hinted for Boston Sq. will be approved fast, and land will be cleared by Aug.

• Amazon Go will open a test store somewhere along the route of the Skywalk, that will be aimed at convention visitors and hotel guests. Mainly convenience foods and with limited hours.

• Bagel Beanery, on Michigan and College, will announce that it will be part of a mixed-use project that will include that corner property and its neighbor. 5 story building of mostly medical offices.

• Breweries will add a distillery component when the early 20s spell a change in drinking tastes.

• The "New Yorker Menswear" Store will close when the owner retires. The building will spark a bidding war, with as many as 3 retail units made from the lower floor. Two condos on the top.

• The North Monroe area sees 2 more modest residential projects. This time near Leonard as that neglected area becomes a hot spot between Creston and the rest of N. Monroe. The old "water works" will become an satellite location for large conventions or a place for Graduations, weddings, ect.

• First Chick-Fil-A opens downtown by Studio Park.

• Art Prize will continue to struggle to find a new direction. 2020 will be an up year and will make the every other year formula permanent with no off-year events anymore.

• The empty property at the corner of Fuller and Wealthy will finally see a building on it.  finished by December 2020

Edited by GR_Urbanist

I thought I had read articles that  both Amazon Go and Starbucks Reserve were in a holding pattern with no new stores planned? I could be wrong though.  Both are fabulous shops. Amazon go is kinda expensive, but a great experience. Super convenient and high end for basically a convenience store. Starbucks Reserve is a in a different category. I’m not a coffee guy, but its a worth a stop every now and then. It has much more in common with a local hipster palace than a typical chain coffee shop.

i agree an urban Target near Studio Park would be perfect. 

On 1/5/2020 at 2:06 PM, GR_Urbanist said:
  • Eastern, south of Wealthy, will start to see multiple properties go up for sale. Development plans for at least one project by June.

• The old Duthlers on Bridge will be sold and redeveloped into a urban Target or Walmart. Neither will sell groceries and will instead be hard goods and some clothes in order to complement BSM, but not compete with each other.

• The Laker Line will be very successful and will facilitate rapid (yeah) development in Standale of both retail and residential projects.

• The ICCF building will be converted into housing, boutique hotel, and some office space.

• LaFontsee Gallery will sell their parking lot to Ellis or the city where it will become a 3-story ramp

• The project hinted for Boston Sq. will be approved fast, and land will be cleared by Aug.

• Amazon Go will open a test store somewhere along the route of the Skywalk, that will be aimed at convention visitors and hotel guests. Mainly convenience foods and with limited hours.

• Bagel Beanery, on Michigan and College, will announce that it will be part of a mixed-use project that will include that corner property and its neighbor. 5 story building of mostly medical offices.

• Breweries will add a distillery component when the early 20s spell a change in drinking tastes.

• The "New Yorker Menswear" Store will close when the owner retires. The building will spark a bidding war, with as many as 3 retail units made from the lower floor. Two condos on the top.

• The North Monroe area sees 2 more modest residential projects. This time near Leonard as that neglected area becomes a hot spot between Creston and the rest of N. Monroe. The old "water works" will become an satellite location for large conventions or a place for Graduations, weddings, ect.

• First Chick-Fil-A opens downtown by Studio Park.

• Art Prize will continue to struggle to find a new direction. 2020 will be an up year and will make the every other year formula permanent with no off-year events anymore.

• The empty property at the corner of Fuller and Wealthy will finally see a building on it.  finished by December 2020

I follow Metric Structures on Instagram and it sounds like they are kicking that into high gear soon. 

• Like 2

On 1/5/2020 at 10:26 PM, droonus2000 said:

I thought I had read articles that  both Amazon Go and Starbucks Reserve were in a holding pattern with no new stores planned? I could be wrong though.  Both are fabulous shops. Amazon go is kinda expensive, but a great experience. Super convenient and high end for basically a convenience store. Starbucks Reserve is a in a different category. I’m not a coffee guy, but its a worth a stop every now and then. It has much more in common with a local hipster palace than a typical chain coffee shop.

i agree an urban Target near Studio Park would be perfect. 

In addition to these, Tesla showrooms sound unlikely also. Last year they were going to close all of the showrooms, but ultimately decided just to scale them back, especially in areas in which they aren't allowed to sell from the showroom (see: Michigan.)

• Like 1

2019 review

River town will see some renovations, Younkers will be torn down and replaced with housing, a couple of new stores will come in to help refresh things and try to close the widening Woodland gap.

Not a thing, they only new store I found at Christmas was a leggings store

Convention Center hotel will announce 2020 start date, plans are substantial.

No date announced.

DT Market announces expansion plans, and then cancels them

Nothing new, a few new places, but no expansion talk

Housing crunch worsens, some remediation is announced with replacing homes with townhouses and apartments, but faces significant gentrification backlash.

Half correct, housing crunch situation is about the same.

Major rumors of GRFC stadium and league changes, but nothing  concrete is announced by the club. 

No stadium rumors, but I don’t know if they have a home for next year. No rumors of a new league, they just did it. Very interesting upcoming year. 

MSU  research center phase ll plans underwhelm, but it’s better then nothing.

Yes, slightly.

Bridge st continues resurgence and expands north of I-196 on Seward and Stocking.

Nope

Switch finally begins to live up to promises, tech related flights increase, a tech company opens a small office.

Nope, big nope

Project 1 confuses many people. Folks will wonder where to vote, will still call it ArtPrize, and be upset that they have to seek out the art even though it’s more concentrated.

Meh, people just stayed away, and longed for toothpick sculptures. It was quite lame. 

A new life music venue opens with 400+ capacity.

Nope, listening room is close,  but 200 capacity.

Studio Park amazes and sets off spin off development. Including more QSR restaurants. 

Hardee’s opens in Gr metro( personal hope, driving to Marshall for a burger is not fun)

Other restaurants I want closer include Baja Fresh, dibellas Subs, Skyline Chili, and Halal Guys. 

Next phase of airport expansion goes well, but passenger numbers are flat as people don’t want to deal with construction. 

New direct flights to West Coast, SLC, and Boston announced. 

Fortune 500 company announces Midwest regional office. 

Further Woodland growth and expansion. Some buildings on adjacent parcels near 28th and E. Beltline corner are replaced. 

Amazon starts same day delivery and adds other prime services

48 minutes ago, walker said:

Does Holland count and can it be in a truck stop?  Haven't stopped there but noticed their sign at the Adams exit at I-196:

loves20travel20stop20holland20township20011019_1547156862019.jpg_67117413_ver1.0.jpg.89d05b4ce9cf374c3b8b9e6bf8386a2e.jpg

Works for me. I never knew that  Location existed! Thanks Walker! Either it’s new, or its been a while since I looked at the website.

• 2 weeks later...

More predictions:

) Wayfinding signs downtown will be proposed to be replaced or re-skinned, as they are horribly out-of-date. (and I actually see people who look lost, stop to look at them)

) Rockford Development/Construction will propose a new project at the old Davenport downtown building at 45 Ottawa. Maybe they'll partner with CWD and do something on the 50 Monroe lot.. (wishful thinking)

) 45 Ionia next to Hopcat will have a proposal unveiled this year, with RDV selling its stake in the property to Rockford as they consolidate all of their holdings to 200 Monroe. This project will blow everyone on here away, with a potential 20,000 square foot retail/entertainment component on the ground floor. 

) Yet another proposal will be unveiled for the lot directly behind the arena. 

) Both the residential tower portion of Studio Park and Acrisure's phase II will be solidified at the end of the year with start dates of Summer 2021. 

• 11 months later...

I'm going to pretend like I never made any last time around.:tw_lol:

For 2021 I think there will be a growth in local micro-businesses. Everything from household goods, and refurbished electronics, to clothes , urban farms and upcycling of anything that can be repaired and reused. All done from homes and garages and sold in local stores or online. Food carts and trucks are going to see their best year ever. Street cafes will become the hot new thing, and delivery drivers for almost anything will be all over the roads here. GR parks and trails will see major new interest, and the public will clamor for more public outdoor spaces, especially from people with now permanently altered work schedules that will want a place to walk to from their home office.

I also expect the bio medical industry here will expand rapidly on Michigan st.

• Like 1

Post COVID idealism as to new behaviors and wishes will swiftly confront reality in a city whose climate forces owners to justify outlays to counter 5 months of less than hospitable outdoor use.

Global warming will help lol.

Edited by arcturus

A few predictions for 2021- Not even looking at my predictions from last year. :)

1. Plans for Consumers Energy building will re-emerge. May be on a different lot or part of a mixed use development (still on the west side).

2. Details of Spectrum Health's new building on Monroe / Bond will be released. Project will be slightly delayed due to COVID and the most we'll see this year is clearing of land/prep work

3. Perrigo Building will break ground. Perrigo will also announce space being leased in Doug Meijer Building for R&D.

4. Office space will shuffle at a brisk pace as companies re-evaluate their needs, buildings with Spectrum as a tenant start to adjust  to open space, etc. 

5. Several buildings will pivot from Office to multi-use / residential as they respond to new realities. Brassworks building will among the buildings laying the groundwork for sweeping changes.

6. By Fall, restaurants and bars will be packed as people flock back to "real life". The restaurants / bars that made it will come back stronger than ever.

7. People will flock to Studio Park / Celebration Cinema. People are sick of sitting on their couches and the the downtown theater will come back strong. 

8. Amway will start to hint at details of a mixed use building at Fulton and Market as plans for the Charley's Crab / 201 Market site solidify.

9. ArtPrize will set records as people get out of their houses. Unfortunately, the winner will be more crafts than art (again). Shiny statue guys will be in the top 10 again, and everyone will be pissed (again).

10. At least one new residential building in either the core or west side will be announced.

11. Someone will come forward with plans for the Keeler Building  - and succeed.

12. Kent County won't pull the trigger on selling their building ... again.

On 12/28/2019 at 4:35 PM, WMrapids said:

• Nothing proposed over 12 stories: Yup

• DeVos Place hotel gets pushed through: Nope

• No post office proposals: Yup

• No stadiums announced: Yup

• No downtown CVS/Walgreens: Yup

• Amphitheater project goes away: No, but doubtful

• Spectrum project in North Monroe will underwhelm, but will be deemed necessary nonetheless. Scale of the project will still leave the neighborhood with large, spanned out buildings at a cost to pedestrian-friendly opportunities. Not sure, but it’s looking like it.

• Acrisure project will get scaled back slightly. Is this still happening?

• Metro Village continues to be a glorified strip mall park Yup.

• Marijuana stores will continue to pop up in the southern part of the city and take the place of some vapor stores: Partially, yeah.

• Van Andel Arena project will be a nice addition: Mixed reception I would say.

• We will see one more large project take shape on the West Side: Not that I can think of.

• New proposals for GRPS: Online classes? :(

• River project will announce a new phase to start in 2022: Nope

Nothing on the river project.

No downtown pharmacy.

Acrisure tower will be cancelled and they will maintain their current site.

Studio Park will be in a pinch.

Calder Plaza project might begin?

The USPS property on Michigan at the Grand River will remain, preventing any sort of positive development in that spot.

Grand Rapids will get a fully "dark grocery store" - think Witmark for groceries.    As Meijer, Spartan-Nash and GFS have big footprints in the area, it would be easy to run a test store in the metro to see how this might roll out further.

Edited by trongrr
  • Like 1