Predictions for the coming year

GRDadof3

On 7/30/2021 at 8:53 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Not necessarily for 2021 but I foresee the 2021 - 2025 years being the "big boom" that Grand Rapids hasn't seen since Medical Mile. 

) Amphitheater and other mixed use on the same site. Market/Fulton. *

) Soccer stadium on the West Side with spinoff developments*

) Orion's tower on Ionia

) New convention center hotel tower

) Priority Health moving to Michigan Street next to GVSU*

) Spectrum Health's new downtown campus

) Work on restoring the rapids "finally" begins

) The Century Avenue warehouse renovation and new buildings is much larger than anything like it in downtown previously

) Acrisure moves forward with second tower 

) Studio Park goes forward with residential tower

) GRAM announces a "renovation"*

) New building goes up above the old Mlive offices

I'm predicting 7 or 8 tower cranes in the air by 2023/2024. 

*Not verified but based on "word on the street." 

I'll just regurgitate mine, since most of them didn't come true yet. :)  Other than Spectrum's new building in Monroe North has started. 

GRAM did announce a renovation but it's not going to change the looks of the building. 

I would predict the new use of the BOB but I really don't have any idea. 

We'll see if any of these happen in 2022. 

Due to never ending Covid, my best prediction is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 

a few predictions:

- Acrisure will continue its repaid growth and announce the tower portion of their project (won’t start in 2022)

- Amway will continue to shrink its footprint in Ada and begin discussing demolition of more of the eastern part of the complex. It’ll be floated as a new park for Ada. 

- Work will begin on the rapids restoration

- Work will begin on the Sligh Furniture building. 

- a Partner will be announced for the residential portion of the old Baker building. 

- we’ll get more clarity on the amphitheater / Fulton & market street lot plans, but it’ll still have a lot of hurdles (county board, funding, etc) to move forward  

Not a very aspirational list like years past. I hope I’m surprised with some good announcements. 

Joe

• Like 2

Mixed use project announced for old bank site on Bridge.

213 Oakes has residential proposal. Nothing major, just a mid rise apartment.

DeVos Place hotel gets new life. Project not started in 22

Amphitheater plans become more clear.

Major swing here:

Lot north of AC hotel and the two story building at Louis and Ottawa get a highrise proposal much like the Exchange Building in Kalamazoo. Ramp and apartments with ground floor retail.

• Like 2

I do think we'll get a clearer picture of the amphitheater development this Spring. I think the powers that be might be afraid of the lagging momentum in downtown developments since covid started. 

I talked to some people who work with the city on the periphery about putting a soccer stadium on the West Side in the lots North of the Y and they thought that was an awesome idea. Who knows.. 

With work from home becoming a bit more of a norm, I wonder if we'll start to see some shuffling of commercial space. From what I've been reading nationally , companies are rethinking the amount of space they have, potentially going with much more upscale finishes (for recruitiment and overall aesthetics), with conferences and meeting areas, but a lot of hoteling workstations with a hybrid model. 

It'll be interesting to see if companies like CWD, who have a lot of commercial space, try to consolidate some of their clients into certain buildings and rethink other buildings. 

With residential needs still booming, I'd like to hope/predict that we'll see a building or two get announced that is converted from commercial to other purposes (hopefully residential, and not another hotel). ;)

Joe

• Like 1

I admit I'm cheating a bit with these predictions (with some insider info), but here are my two predictions:

1 - The addition of floors onto Keeler doesn't go anywhere, unsure if that means the renovation of the existing is being put off as well.

2 - There is an announcement to turn a parking lot into a residential building (think official GR height) near the arena, but not a parking lot a lot of people would first think of (obvious hint below): 

image.png.b1705a991431d99d46d4264139a46f65.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoDustBusterNoMore said:

I admit I'm cheating a bit with these predictions (with some insider info), but here are my two predictions:

1 - The addition of floors onto Keeler doesn't go anywhere, unsure if that means the renovation of the existing is being put off as well.

2 - There is an announcement to turn a parking lot into a residential building (think official GR height) near the arena, but not a parking lot a lot of people would first think of (obvious hint below): 

12 STORIES?!?!?

OH PLEASE LET IT BE UGLY TOO!!!

On 1/10/2022 at 5:21 PM, NoDustBusterNoMore said:

Interesting. Sure wish something would go in across the street. Why is it that so many pieces of land that the city owns, they've had relatively no luck in getting developed (even though they try). 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Interesting. Sure wish something would go in across the street. Why is it that so many pieces of land that the city owns, they've had relatively no luck in getting developed (even though they try). 

Across the street? Is that the old Tall House site from maybe 15 years ago?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

This is sort of a depressing article, lol. More than half of them are non-profits/homeless missions. 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/10-projects-changing-the-grand-rapids-area-in-2022/

While I can understand your point, those are important nonprofit projects.  The Rosa Parks renovation to me is the most underwhelming of the bunch.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cstonesparty said:

While I can understand your point, those are important nonprofit projects.  The Rosa Parks renovation to me is the most underwhelming of the bunch.

Well I know, but it's not really anything to celebrate. And they're not really "changing the landscape of GR." 

I love seeing Lyon Square on there. Again. :rofl:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From the Right Place's Transformational 12. My predictions/ratings that they'll get started in the next 2 years:

) Convention Center Hotel tower: 50%

) Countywide housing strategy: 100% a strategy will be thought up, significant impact on housing inventory will be years down the road

) Downtown Post Office relocation: 10%

) Grand River Greenway Initiative: 10%

) GRCC public safety training center: 75% but I don't really know anything about this project

) Airport tower relocation: 100%

) GVSU Blue Dot digital learning lab: the fact that they have a name for it and a location (Eberhard) means it's probably 90  -100%

) Market Avenue Gateway: 50%

) MSU innovation center expansion: This is already built, right?

) Soccer Stadium: I feel like the fever for this has tempered quite a bit. Anyone else got a pulse? 

) Outdoor amphitheater: 80 - 90%, unless part of a larger project that will take more than 2 years to see cranes

) Aquarium: depends on if it's part of another project.

Anyone else have any thoughts?