Predictions for the coming year

GRDadof3

Almost that time of year. GRBJ wrote and article about 9 Projects in 2023, and wow, it's underwhelming (although they didn't mention Studio Park, Amphitheater (and surrounding area), the McConnell, etc. etc.). 

https://archive.ph/3vNCb#selection-2853.0-2853.20

Here's to hoping 2023 isn't the dud that 2022 was (IMHO). :)

Joe

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Almost that time of year. GRBJ wrote and article about 9 Projects in 2023, and wow, it's underwhelming (although they didn't mention Studio Park, Amphitheater (and surrounding area), the McConnell, etc. etc.). 

https://archive.ph/3vNCb#selection-2853.0-2853.20

Here's to hoping 2023 isn't the dud that 2022 was (IMHO). :)

Joe

yeah that list seems to only be describing projects that will be completed in 2023.

Ya know what?

Might as well kick this bad boy off.

1. The amphitheater continues to move at a snails pace, but it moves. Renderings will be shown and project will move forward.

2. The Acrisure tower is announced and includes residential units.

3. The convention center hotel plans are resurrected as post pandemic life continues and trade shows and conventions begin to ramp back up.

4. Smaller, but higher density projects get announced outside the city core at major intersections and corridors.

5. The soccer stadium plans on the west side die.  

6. The Grand Rapids Gold fail to get good attendance at the Arena and the team relocates.

7. The library parking garage plan moves forward.

8. The lot at Library and Division sees a proposal. Just north of the Civic 

• Like 4

Has there ever been anything significant proposed in the area in red below? It seems to have a lot of potential....along the river, several large lots, easy access to downtown/north monroe/creston business district.

With the trail connections they are going to be doing along the river there, you'd think it could see some action soon. 

image.thumb.png.999696dadb59b0fc81c55a6c82e456a3.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

Has there ever been anything significant proposed in the area in red below? It seems to have a lot of potential....along the river, several large lots, easy access to downtown/north monroe/creston business district.

With the trail connections they are going to be doing along the river there, you'd think it could see some action soon. 

image.thumb.png.999696dadb59b0fc81c55a6c82e456a3.png

Restore the rapids plan has this changing, bike path, kayak access, park & small band shell I think. Then if I remember I think the old building just south of the clearwater place is going to be apartments soon. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, HavingAhoot said:

Restore the rapids plan has this changing, bike path, kayak access, park & small band shell I think. Then if I remember I think the old building just south of the clearwater place is going to be apartments soon. 

Restore the Rapids offices are directly across from that area. I imagine /hope that's on purpose 🙂

On 1/1/2023 at 11:37 AM, grandrollerz said:

Restore the Rapids offices are directly across from that area. I imagine /hope that's on purpose 🙂

Is restore the rapids actually still happening? I feel like it has been like a decade at this point and we haven’t had any physical progress made on it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Is restore the rapids actually still happening? I feel like it has been like a decade at this point and we haven’t had any physical progress made on it. 

It's not dead.  Last I heard the GC pulled out of the project and it was going to be rebid.  There's a ton of red tape and many agencies involved.  The Mayor is pushing very hard for this. It will get done, hopefully we will see actual physical progress with in the next few years, but yes, people are still working on it.

Edited by Jonesey
  • Like 1

My predictions. Last year's score card, this years predictions:

2022 Predictions:

- Acrisure will continue its repaid growth and announce the tower portion of their project (won’t start in 2022) NOPE

- Amway will continue to shrink its footprint in Ada and begin discussing demolition of more of the eastern part of the complex. It’ll be floated as a new park for Ada. NOPE

- Work will begin on the rapids restoration NOPE

- Work will begin on the Sligh Furniture building. NOPE

- a Partner will be announced for the residential portion of the old Baker building. NOPE

- we’ll get more clarity on the amphitheater / Fulton & market street lot plans, but it’ll still have a lot of hurdles (county board, funding, etc) to move forward  YES!

2023 Predictions (some are kicking 2022 predictions down the road)

- By the end of 2023, 2000+ rental units (and a few condos) will be under construction. This includes the Sligh building, McConnell, Studio Park, Alabama Lofts, 2 developments in Creston

- An additional 1200 units will be proposed. This includes the old Display Pak building, Baker Furniture Building, Keeler Building (finally sees new life), Kregel building on Wealthy (finally sees new life)

- I still believe we will see Amway slowly vacate their corporate headquarters in Ada, downsizing (demolishing) the building further. Amway will eventually move its headquarters to the Fulton/Market development (in a much smaller, reduced capacity as their revenues decrease)

- Acrisure will announce plans to eventually move to the Fulton/Market development, lured by a big, tall, shiny tower with naming rights.

- Not announced this year, but Studio Park will eventually build additional residential on the lot Acrisure intended to build a tower on.

- The Convention Center hotel will get new life as convention business returns to "normal". Funding will be wait and see until inflation comes down a bit.

- Corewell will announce more plans for its Monroe North campus, including mixed-use / residential buildings along the perimeter.

- The soccer stadium plan will continue to move forward, and will include a residential/commercial infill component both on the north and south end (Big Boy) of the parking lots

- Grand Rapids Whitewater will receive approval from EGLE allowing it to start the lower reach of river restoration. We'll see some preliminary work in the river this year.

- Early Fulton/Market plans will be revealed, which will include office, restaurants, a hotel and more residential (not including in the figure above)

- Amphitheater plans will be finalized by year end.

- We will see one or two office buildings plans to be converted to residential. 25 Ottawa and 25 Ionia are good candidates

- @GRDadof3will resurface and start posting again after taking a wrong turn on a mountain bike trail, ending up in Albuquerque. :)

- GRR will announce direct flights to Toronto, Cancun and the Dominican Republic as they finish the new customs portion of the airport

• Like 3

Is Amway demoing part of their complex out in Ada?  I drove by there and was wondering.  If they do ever abandon it completely that would be a a huge vacant parcel.  What's the mix of Corporate vs. Logistics ops there?  It would be great for parks/mixed used, especially with the expansion of the parks and trails on the other side of the river.  I'm kind of surprised amway is still a thing, how much longer can they last?

10 hours ago, Jonesey said:

Is Amway demoing part of their complex out in Ada?  I drove by there and was wondering.  If they do ever abandon it completely that would be a a huge vacant parcel.  What's the mix of Corporate vs. Logistics ops there?  It would be great for parks/mixed used, especially with the expansion of the parks and trails on the other side of the river.  I'm kind of surprised amway is still a thing, how much longer can they last?

Renovating.

15 hours ago, Jonesey said:

They did knock down the eastern most (and oldest) portion of the building a few years back. 

• 11 months later...
On 12/24/2022 at 9:08 PM, Cookin_peacocks said:

Ya know what?

Might as well kick this bad boy off.

1. The amphitheater continues to move at a snails pace, but it moves. Renderings will be shown and project will move forward.

2. The Acrisure tower is announced and includes residential units.

3. The convention center hotel plans are resurrected as post pandemic life continues and trade shows and conventions begin to ramp back up.

4. Smaller, but higher density projects get announced outside the city core at major intersections and corridors.

5. The soccer stadium plans on the west side die.  

6. The Grand Rapids Gold fail to get good attendance at the Arena and the team relocates.

7. The library parking garage plan moves forward.

8. The lot at Library and Division sees a proposal. Just north of the Civic 

I only was right on two of these. Yikes. I'm bad at this.

Welp, here we go!

1. This one is a tap in putt. But the amphitheatre project breaks ground.

2. I was very wrong about this one, so I'll go against my 23 guess. But the soccer stadium breaks ground and a team is announced.

3. Library parking lot ramp is resurrected.

4. Aquarium conversation continues to trend in the right direction.

5. A top golf clone is built at Indian Trails. 

6. Convention center hotel continues to progress and renderings are released. 

7. The first plans for the worst kept secret in GR are released for the Market/Fulton lot. Anchored by an Acrisure tower.

8. Ellis gets a jump on the amphitheatre project and announces a mixed use ramp for the lot on Weston/Market/Cesar Chavez. Similar to Arena Place, but taller. The ramp will serve both the amphitheatre and arena.

9. A chain pharmacy announces a downtown location.

10. Due to pressure and bad press, Corewell announces a residential highrise near its new headquarters.

Edited by Cookin_peacocks
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 3:18 PM, Cookin_peacocks said:

I only was right on two of these. Yikes. I'm bad at this.

Welp, here we go!

1. This one is a tap in putt. But the amphitheatre project breaks ground.

2. I was very wrong about this one, so I'll go against my 23 guess. But the soccer stadium breaks ground and a team is announced.

3. Library parking lot ramp is resurrected.

4. Aquarium conversation continues to trend in the right direction.

5. A top golf clone is built at Indian Trails. 

6. Convention center hotel continues to progress and renderings are released. 

7. The first plans for the worst kept secret in GR are released for the Market/Fulton lot. Anchored by an Acrisure tower.

8. Ellis gets a jump on the amphitheatre project and announces a mixed use ramp for the lot on Weston/Market/Cesar Chavez. Similar to Arena Place, but taller. The ramp will serve both the amphitheatre and arena.

9. A chain pharmacy announces a downtown location.

10. Due to pressure and bad press, Corewell announces a residential highrise near its new headquarters.

#9 would be a shock considering the headwinds that chain pharmacies are experiencing

• 2 weeks later...

Scorecard from 2023 - (2/13) - Final Score: F-

MOSTLY WRONG - By the end of 2023, 2000+ rental units (and a few condos) will be under construction. This includes the Sligh building, McConnell, Studio Park, Alabama Lofts, 2 developments in Creston

- MOSTLY WRONG - An additional 1200 units will be proposed. This includes the old Display Pak building, Baker Furniture Building, Keeler Building (finally sees new life), Kregel building on Wealthy (finally sees new life)

- HORRIBLY WRONG - I still believe we will see Amway slowly vacate their corporate headquarters in Ada, downsizing (demolishing) the building further. Amway will eventually move its headquarters to the Fulton/Market development (in a much smaller, reduced capacity as their revenues decrease)

- WRONG - Acrisure will announce plans to eventually move to the Fulton/Market development, lured by a big, tall, shiny tower with naming rights.

- N/A  - Not announced this year, but Studio Park will eventually build additional residential on the lot Acrisure intended to build a tower on.

- MOSTLY RIGHT - The Convention Center hotel will get new life as convention business returns to "normal". Funding will be wait and see until inflation comes down a bit.

- LOL WRONG - Corewell will announce more plans for its Monroe North campus, including mixed-use / residential buildings along the perimeter.

WRONG (TBD?) - The soccer stadium plan will continue to move forward, and will include a residential/commercial infill component both on the north and south end (Big Boy) of the parking lots

- HORRIBLY WRONG - Grand Rapids Whitewater will receive approval from EGLE allowing it to start the lower reach of river restoration. We'll see some preliminary work in the river this year.

- WRONG - Early Fulton/Market plans will be revealed, which will include office, restaurants, a hotel and more residential (not including in the figure above)

- MOSTLY RIGHT - Amphitheater plans will be finalized by year end.

- WRONG - We will see one or two office buildings plans to be converted to residential. 25 Ottawa and 25 Ionia are good candidates

- MOSTLY WRONG @GRDadof3will resurface and start posting again after taking a wrong turn on a mountain bike trail, ending up in Albuquerque. :)

- WRONG - GRR will announce direct flights to Toronto, Cancun and the Dominican Republic as they finish the new customs portion of the airport

Predictions for 2024 -

- Plans for the Sligh Furniture Building fall through

- Corewell comes back to the Planning Commission addressing some concerns but gets postponed again. By the end of 2024 they present a solid plan that includes mixed use, residential, and something that feels more like a vibrant neighborhood (with solid commitments/partners for residential, etc). It passes.

- A large residential tower is announced for Monroe North next to 820 Monroe. Breaks our normal 11-13 story cap.

- The plans for the residential development on Leonard and Front gets taller as the city works through rezoning. Developers start to accumulate property on this "strip" as the rezoning comes closer to fruition.

- Public/Private partnership for a parking ramp to serve the soccer stadium, GVSU, and YMCA are announced.

- Midrise residential development is announced directly south of Bridge, but north of the soccer stadium

- Return to office / hybrid pushes office workers back downtown, increasing the overall health of the downtown core (especially businesses struggling with a loss in the lunchtime crowd.

- The Fulton / Market project is announced (phased). Includes a mix of office, residential, and a boutique hotel. One building pushes past 40 stories and includes Acrisure in a signature building from a known architect (starchitect)

- We finally get a glimpse at the plans for the MLive building on Monroe. Includes an additional 6-8 stories

- @GRDadof3 will pop into the forum more often, causing cheers of joy from the members of the forum.

- Grand Rapids gets its first Shake Shack. :)

Big Swings:

- City parking announces the decommissioning of the Louis Campau ramp (now 43 years old), which will be knocked down and the property sold for redevelopment. To replace a portion of the displaced parking, they will move forward with adding parking on to the Fulton/Ottawa ramp, designing the addition to allow for future development above (similar to Studio Park). Air rights will be up for grabs and not waiting on a developer to work the plans

- Priority Health will consolidate operations and start plans to move downtown in Monroe North, near/on the Corewell property.

Joe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I'll throw my hat in. 

My predictions for 2024:

•  The city will continue to see a frustrating lack of high-density development.  No project over 10 stories will break ground.
  • The Sligh redevelopment project is dead, no construction or demolition will occur.
  • Nothing will continue to happen with the Keeler building (56 Division)
  • There will be an eerie silence regarding the Whitewater project; it's dead Jim, but nobody will admit it.
  •  The stealth [relative to the level of drama whipped up for "Housing Now", circa 2018] Zoning reforms will pass in the first quarter. They will largely, but not completely, eliminate residential parking requirements.  ADUs will be by-right in at least TN zones.  Unrelated household members will be increased from six to eight.  Substantial reform for Infill Development (2-12 units) will be sacrificed on the alter of "Unintended Consequences" and parking fear, something will still be passed but it will be so limited as to be meaningless.
  • The Rapid, after cutting service as of January 1st 2024, will have a second round of service cuts mid-year.  Relative to revenue hours ridership will continue to recover, as it has been.
  • The DASH will not achieve seven day a week service.
  • The amphitheater will break ground and development of that will rapidly proceed.  A private parking developer will announce a nearby ramp.  Rumors about adjacent development will be intense and constant, but nothing substantive will emerge until the last quarter.
  • Corewell will drag their feet in Monroe North, insisting on surface parking lots, the city will - to everyone's surprise - stand their ground for once, and Corewell will finally a produce a not-complete-trash development plan by the end of 2024. But they will not have broken ground on any additional development.
  • The city will forge ahead with additional parking capacity, mostly likely the  Fulton/Ottawa or Library lot.  There will not be a 3rd party development agreement for Fulton/Ottawa.
  • By the end of the year Kent County will announce that they are paving most of John Ball Park for parking.
  • Less than five miles of protected bike lanes will be constructed.
  • Employers will continue to push back against Work-From-Home, to the benefit of downtown restaurants and retailers, as well as city income tax revenue.  DGRi will report at least three months of record downtown activity.
  • Urban retail will be a winner in 2024; at least twice as many retail outlets will open in downtown as will close.  Harder to quantify, but the retail scene in the neighborhoods will also continue to improve.  The Wealthy St Corridor will achieve zero store-front vacancy.
  • Thanks 1

Two days into the year, I'll give my predictions, in no particular order:

1. Acrisure will announce a tower 15-20 stories tall at Fulton and Market

2. Ellis Parking will announce a parking garage at Market, Cesar Chavez, Weston and Oakes to complement the new amphitheater.

3. An aquarium will be announced either in Grand Rapids or Muskegon.

4. Leonard Street west of the river will continue to get more and more construction from small businesses to residential, following in the footsteps of Bridge St.

5. Corewell will try to propose parking lots again, but get shut down by the city. They won't abandon the project completely, but it'll stall out until they can find another buyer for those lots that they vacated.

Far out predictions, unlikely to happen

1. Van Andel will be announced that it'll get a full-scale renovation to complete the bowl

2. The parking lot behind Van Andel will be sold and built on for a high rise residential building.

3. The Keeler Building will finally announce a redevelopment into residential.

4. The Triangle lot next to the parking garage on Fulton and Ionia will announce a new buyer and build a 20-story tower with a parking deck on the first 5 stories and 15 stories of residential above. 

5. Ellis Parking will build garages on their lots with the ability have air space above for towers, thus creating more residential and they would continue to make money by owning the land and garage

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Zads said:

Two days into the year, I'll give my predictions, in no particular order:

1. Acrisure will announce a tower 15-20 stories tall at Fulton and Market

2. Ellis Parking will announce a parking garage at Market, Cesar Chavez, Weston and Oakes to complement the new amphitheater.

3. An aquarium will be announced either in Grand Rapids or Muskegon.

4. Leonard Street west of the river will continue to get more and more construction from small businesses to residential, following in the footsteps of Bridge St.

5. Corewell will try to propose parking lots again, but get shut down by the city. They won't abandon the project completely, but it'll stall out until they can find another buyer for those lots that they vacated.

Far out predictions, unlikely to happen

1. Van Andel will be announced that it'll get a full-scale renovation to complete the bowl

2. The parking lot behind Van Andel will be sold and built on for a high rise residential building.

3. The Keeler Building will finally announce a redevelopment into residential.

4. The Triangle lot next to the parking garage on Fulton and Ionia will announce a new buyer and build a 20-story tower with a parking deck on the first 5 stories and 15 stories of residential above. 

5. Ellis Parking will build garages on their lots with the ability have air space above for towers, thus creating more residential and they would continue to make money by owning the land and garage

Hey, number 2 was my idea!

I definitely think Ellis will build there and include a residential tower.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zads said:

Ellis Parking will announce a parking garage at Market, Cesar Chavez, Weston and Oakes to complement the new amphitheater.

Seems like we all agree on this one.

4 hours ago, Zads said:

Leonard Street west of the river will continue to get more and more construction from small businesses to residential

Agree, should have thought to include West Leonard in my predictions.  West Leonard and Planfield/Creston will be the new hot-spots in 2024, that feels obvious.

4 hours ago, Zads said:

Corewell will try to propose parking lots again, but get shut down by the city. They won't abandon the project completely, but it'll stall out until they can find another buyer for those lots that they vacated

We all agree again.  It will be interesting if they turn around and sell the sites.  That would be reasonable if they can't do parking, ... but are they reasonable?

4 hours ago, Zads said:

The parking lot behind Van Andel will be sold and built on for a high rise residential building.

Sold and ground broken in a single calendar year?  Bold! 

Edited by whitemice