Predictions for the coming year

GRDadof3

OK I'll go first. 

Things we know about:

) Twelve Weston, 20 Fulton East and Icon on Bond 2 will all be underway, and fairly vertical by this time next year

) The Hilton Garden Inn - Embassy Suites in Monroe North will FINALLY break ground, either at the end of the 2016 or early 2017, after their new hotel on the Beltline is substantially complete

) The new parking garage behind the arena will move forward, possibly breaking ground

) The big apartment project off of Benson and Michigan will break ground, or at least demo of all the houses will begin

) The project at 234 Market will break ground, stunning everyone by the speed of the project. It will begin the transformation of Market into Grand Rapids' version of the Gulch in Nashville. 

) One of 616's projects in Creston will be underway

) The Venue at the BOB will announce a major national promo partnership

) Carlton Place will start construction

) The two apartment projects North of 196 in Belknap Lookout will be well underway and almost complete

) GVSU will begin construction on its Belknap project

) SIBSCO will unveil plans for the 5/3 Bank building site, with a 28 story tower as its centerpiece

) New Holland Brewing Co will hold its grand opening during ArtPrize. Atwater Brewery will already be open at the Rowe.

) 619 Wealthy will finally begin

) Switch will open its data center first phase to much fanfare

) Fancy renderings will show up for Lyon/Ottawa. Everyone will be impressed.

) The Display Pack building will begin renovations

) The Laker Line will begin construction late in the year

) Several apartment/mixed use projects will quietly die

) Despite a softening in the U.S. economy by 2020, GR will continue to grow at breakneck speed, with population growth jumping to 2%+ a year

New stuff (these are just speculation)

) A new mid-rise will be announced for the MSU site, healthcare/health sciences related.

) Whole Foods will finally announce GR in its 2017 expansion plans. Everyone will complain about the location.

) Ikea will announce GR in its 2017/18 expansion plans. Everyone will complain about the location (like, along the South Beltline)

) Meijer will announce moving its IT department to downtown. Steelcase and Amway follow suit.

) Priority Health will announce some major move or expansion

) The Baker Furniture building along Monroe will be unveiled

) A major funding victory will come for the river restoration, and actual excavation work in the river will begin (to much awe).

) Tesla will announce a major West Michigan expansion

) Another large data center operator will open on the 36th Street GM site

) Plans for the 600 block of Bridge Street will be unveiled, with a new mid-scale retail complex as the centerpiece, ala Shops at Roosevelt Collection in Chicago. 

) And I'll keep thinking on it. 

• Like 3

My Predictions (in no particular order of what I am hoping will get done (or not), or have some knowledge that it will get done (or not))

1. 921 Cherry - The four story structure between Grove and Windsor Cottage will break ground.

2. Venue Tower will be postponed due to lack of available parking for residents. I think this will be a long-term gain as it will eventually lead to the tower becoming the original height.

2a. While the tower is a no go, the Venue and B.O.B. expansions will move full steam ahead.

3. Speaking of parking crunch, the parking structure attached to Van Andel Arena will be fast-tracked to reduce burden on parking woes. This will also open up the door for some movement in Arena South.

4. Arena South will take shape. With Arena Place nearing completion and tenants (both residential and commercial) moving in, plans for the Arena 4 parking lot will take shape. Potentially with a smaller building on Oakes next to the "Michigan Hardware Building" (100 Grandville) being built first. It'll be an multi-phased buildout to accomodate the loss of parking.

4a. A proposal for a building on the Rockford Development owned land will surface this year.

5. Twelve Weston won’t happen. Let's face it, it's not time for Class A office space on that corner. The Orion building where Warner is moving will suck the wind (and potential tenants) away from that development. Look on the bright-side, the hole brings wetlands to the city. ;)

6. CWD will announce an ambitious re-skinning of 50 Monroe. They will focus efforts on the Monroe and Ottawa sides, restoring the original facade (hey, if they could do it to the DA Blodgett building, they can do it here). The north and South sides will include windows "where necessary", but will configured with future development in mind.

6a. Still no word about the Yantrasast designed hotel in the parking lot of 50 Monroe. I think this will move forward at some point, but with a different purpose (not a hotel). 

7. MSU will announce an expansion before ever occupying the MSU Research Center. MSU will rent space in a 20+ story, mixed use building (with parking) on one of the lots next to the current Research building. 

8. U of M will not let "little brother" get all the press and will announce a presence downtown, near the site of VAI

9. No more blighted buildings in the core. The Keeler building will be released from the clutches of Azzar and 13(?) Ionia (next to Tannery Row) will finally get a new owner. The AT&T building will still look like a crying shame of it's former glory, but at least it is still being used.

10. Village at Knapp's Crossings and "Breton Village" (the mall, outlots and across Breton) will become THE high-end retail centers in Grand Rapids.

11. The impact of Switch Communications will be felt in Grand Rapids with a high-demand for construction jobs, Grand Rapids construction companies will battle for workers, "importing" workers from other states.

12. The Embassy Suites / Combo hotel project will start construction close to the end of the year along with Icon on Bond II, changing the face of Monroe North.

13. 5/3rd building will be sold and plans for the Calder Plaza park redo will be incorporated into a new development on the parking area north of 5/3rd.

14. The Holiday Inn on Pearl will propose expansion plans for their site on Pearl Street, potentially putting two brands in one location (similar to Monroe North).

I left out a couple of "givens" (in my book) such as 20 E. Fulton (will start soon after the Holidays).

Joe

• Like 2

My record for 2015 was pretty bad

*State Street will see a new development near Lafayette.

*Valley City Linen on E. Fulton will announce that it's moving. Will be demolished for a huge mixed-use project.

*Clarke's Liquor store gets bought out. Converted back to a full-grocery.

*Azzar will attempt to move to demolish the Keeler building out of spite.

*The majority of new apartment buildings will be on the west side.

*A private company will institute an inter-city bus surface (Uber Bus) between Grand Rapids, Holland, Grand Haven, and Muskegon. Cities will flip their lid, but the public will flock to it.

*First chain retailer will open on Ionia. Likely a GAP or Banana Republic

*ICCF development goes nowhere for another year.

*East Hills/Eastown/Wealthy St./E.Fulton are made a "special venue zone" for the next Art Prize, in an experiment to evolve the original boundaries.

For 2016:

GVSU will buy the Padnos scrap yard on Wealthy . No plans announced

Major renovation of the entire Calder plaza block. The Ford Federal Building will move and will become a mixed-use development.

A big national retailer will open up on Michigan Ave. Something like an Old Navy.

The post office will stay put.

Grand Rapids will become one of the first cities in America to allow drone delivery of food orders restricted to a few hours a day and only within a small zone. Jimmy Johns will be the first.

The Midtown area will become the next hot place to move to being sandwiched between Michigan and E. Fulton

The empty lot on the corner of Abney and Lake Dr. will get an infill building similar to the ones in Eastown. Retail on the first floor, two upper stories.

J&H Auto in East Hills will sell but it will take years to develop because the clean up costs. Will become a default public plaza for several years.

The Downtown Market will buy the empty lot across the street with no plans, but just to prevent the current owner from turning it into a permanent pay parking lot.

The ICCF property at Wealthy and Division will get a project, but will disappoint everyone.

High-speed fiber will come to GR.

Plans for a rival urban market in the N. Monroe area will leak.

GRCC will partner with MSU or UoM. A massive 10 year rebuilding project will be announced.

Skywalk expansion project announced to connect Calder Plaza and points east to the VAI and the Michigan State medical school. Also the Waters building, Ledyard, and future building on the corner of Lyon and Ottawa

Uptown will become a huge satellite Art Prize venue.

West Michigan Grand Prix will return.

I'll add a few:

Celadon will expand again

A luxury apartment/townhouse project will be announced along the East Beltline

The new 260 acre "Walkerview" project out by I-96 will land a huge national tenant (in addition to the new 375,000 sf FedEx facility) and everyone will be mad that they're locating there. 

More houses will be torn down in EGR for more infill, and the condo tower will still not be built

Meijer Gardens will announce a fund drive for its next big expansion, probably 3 or 4 years out

The 

The new Butterworth Solar Field will be up and operational by the end of the year, and all the Mlive commenters will not stop saying how stupid it is

Bob Grooters will go on a mad building spree of big-white boxes again, with new ones going up along 131 South of town, between GR and Coopersville and I-96 out by Lowell

A big employer will announce a new facility in Monroe North, near the new Icon on Bond II

Celebration Cinemas will finally announce their theater and residential complex plans South of the arena. Theater model will be the first of its kind in West Michigan. A residential mixed-use project will be announced across from Celebration North

As Joe mentioned, the wish list of buildings that people want to see renovated will be whittled down to pretty much nothing. Us old folks who've been following the transformation for over two decades will bore younger people with our tales of how different the city used to be. 

MDOT entertains 131/Wealthy St solutions.

More mattress stores.

Raising Cane opens a few locations.

The Rapid expands airport service.

Major home building announcements south of 100th st near 131.

New hotel announced near M-6/M-37 junction.

Google Fiber piggybacks Switch facility infrastructure improvements to provide service to area.

And just for kicks:

Drones outlawed in city parks.

On 1/4/2016 at 11:23 PM, arcturus said:

Raising Cane opens a few locations.

Oh I dearly hope this would come to pass, but they haven't even reached Indianapolis yet.

My predictions:
+ No -major- retailers Downtown yet, but a couple more retail stores open on the Division Ave. corridor near Bold Socks and Villa.
+ Dodd's Record Shop on Division sits empty, Lucky's expresses interest in expanding into that space.
+ More developments proposed in the Michigan Ave. Corridor
+ Parking garage in cooperation with Ellis at Division & Library included in plans for redevelopment of the Keeler from its new owner.
+ Anger against gentrification intensifies and results in some feet-on-the-ground protests outside of at least one development.
+ UofM ends up doing nothing in GR, for this year...
+ Icon on Bond II and Monroe North Hotel break ground.
+ Bob Tower shrinks again to 0 floors.  It will be years before anything happens with that spot aside from just a venue.
+ ICCF development continues to go nowhere.
+ 5/3rd site is sold but no plans for any changes occur.
+ No google fiber.  Monopolistic state laws prevent much progress on fiber networks.
+ More residential projects proposed in Monroe North, Heartside, West Side, and State St.  Proposals for projects seem to start flooding in as demand for housing increases and the available housing is eaten up.
+ Drone delivery is allowed but the regulations are too prohibitive for it to really take off beyond a couple businesses.

My predictions sound awfully pessimistic, don't they...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tSlater said:

Oh I dearly hope this would come to pass, but they haven't even reached Indianapolis yet.

My predictions:
+ No -major- retailers Downtown yet, but a couple more retail stores open on the Division Ave. corridor near Bold Socks and Villa.
+ Dodd's Record Shop on Division sits empty, Lucky's expresses interest in expanding into that space.
+ More developments proposed in the Michigan Ave. Corridor
+ Parking garage in cooperation with Ellis at Division & Library included in plans for redevelopment of the Keeler from its new owner.
+ Anger against gentrification intensifies and results in some feet-on-the-ground protests outside of at least one development.
+ UofM ends up doing nothing in GR, for this year...
+ Icon on Bond II and Monroe North Hotel break ground.
+ Bob Tower shrinks again to 0 floors.  It will be years before anything happens with that spot aside from just a venue.
+ ICCF development continues to go nowhere.
+ 5/3rd site is sold but no plans for any changes occur.
+ No google fiber.  Monopolistic state laws prevent much progress on fiber networks.
+ More residential projects proposed in Monroe North, Heartside, West Side, and State St.  Proposals for projects seem to start flooding in as demand for housing increases and the available housing is eaten up.
+ Drone delivery is allowed but the regulations are too prohibitive for it to really take off beyond a couple businesses.

My predictions sound awfully pessimistic, don't they...

New drone regulations coming out this year will pretty much prohibit anyone from using a drone over any property but their own, or private property where they have specific permission to do so. That will include businesses too. The cost to register your drone commercially with the FAA is expected to skyrocket as well. That pretty much ends the idea of drone deliveries. 

The townhouses at the ICCF project are apparently selling well and they have more buildings in the works, going through permits. But when the mixed-use portion goes up is anyone's guess. They should sell the development rights/entitlements to a private developer. 

On 12/22/2015 at 6:33 AM, GRDadof3 said:

) Whole Foods will finally announce GR in its 2017 expansion plans. Everyone will complain about the location.

) Ikea will announce GR in its 2017/18 expansion plans. Everyone will complain about the location (like, along the South Beltline)

--Concur about Whole Foods.  I predict a location on 28th Street in Cascade, or on East Beltline.

--Disagree that IKEA will expand in GR anytime soon.  But if they do come, I predict they will build off I-196 near Hudsonville or off 131 way south - like in Dorr.

Other predictions...

--I still think Chik-Fil-A will enter the market soon.

--Maybe beyond 2016, but Gaines Township will grow even more, and development will spill further into Caledonia Township.  Retail on Kalamazoo south of 60th will increase, and include a chain hotel or two.  Portions of 68th Steet will be given grass medians and Michigan lefts.  68th will be the new 44th.

--Speaking of chain hotels, we're due for some more to enter our market, and probably will once Switch opens up.  Like Four Points or Radisson (again).  A

--Fast movement on Lyon & Ottawa - I bet we WON'T be disappointed with either the renderings or the final outcome.

--More infill on Plainfield Ave in Creston.

--Uber & Lyft will increase in popularity as parking dries up.

1 hour ago, RegalTDP said:

--Speaking of chain hotels, we're due for some more to enter our market, and probably will once Switch opens up.  Like Four Points or Radisson (again).  A

Grand Rapids has to be the largest market without a flagship hotel brand in it, (i.e. Hilton-Marriott-Raddison) since the Hilton at 28th and Patterson rebranded as a Double Tree.  The "Hilton Garden" being built on the belt line is NOT the same as a Hilton.  I have a feeling these companies are aware of their lack of presence in the area.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hilton brand be included in one of the downtown projects, like the ever delayed N. Monroe hotel, or the proposed hotel on the lot next to 50 Monroe which has been slowly and purposefully emptied over the last year.

8 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Grand Rapids has to be the largest market without a flagship hotel brand in it, (i.e. Hilton-Marriott-Raddison) since the Hilton at 28th and Patterson rebranded as a Double Tree.  The "Hilton Garden" being built on the belt line is NOT the same as a Hilton.  I have a feeling these companies are aware of their lack of presence in the area.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hilton brand be included in one of the downtown projects, like the ever delayed N. Monroe hotel, or the proposed hotel on the lot next to 50 Monroe which has been slowly and purposefully emptied over the last year.

The Monroe North hotel is ooing to be half Hilton Garden Inn and half Embassy Suites. It's labeled right on the latest architectural drawings. 

23 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The Monroe North hotel is ooing to be half Hilton Garden Inn and half Embassy Suites. It's labeled right on the latest architectural drawings. 

Probably yes, but it changes so much you never know what the final plan will be. (If it ever gets past being an empty lot.)

1 hour ago, MJLO said:

I also predict at least one of those flagship hotels will move somewhere close to the airport.

On 12/23/2014 at 2:20 PM, jdkacz said:
My out of the box list, some are probably not on the radar for 5 years or ever:

- Downtown aquarium along the river in conjunction with the Return the Rapids project
- Parking garage/apartments/retail structure on Cherry to support more growth
- Removal of Heartside Park with a 6-8 story 400 unit market rate apartments
- Shorts satellite brewery in the Purple East building
- Grand Central Market convinces West Coast coffee to move into the abandoned Japanese restaurant next door so they can expand their grocery options
- Chick Fil A enters the market
- Cheesecake Factory takes over the departed Olga’s at RiverTown Mall
- The Rock Wood Fired Pizza expands to the MAC Breton site 
- Grand Rapids is awarded a 4th Division Soccer team (playing at Houseman)
- Jose Babushka’s makes its triumphant return (ok, it already is, but I want to look back with one correct answer)

I got two of those right!

Chick Fil A, Whole Foods make announcements to enter GR. Ikea does not come to GR as we are sandwiched between Detroit's and Chicago's stores.

West Coast Coffee is gone... so there is opportunity for the market to expand.

Olga's is still empty, let's go Cheesecake for 2016!

GRFC announces they have plans to continue to rise up the soccer pyramid.

A new brewery by the West MI Whitecaps. While Atwater is moving downtown, I still feel another satellite brewery will make the plunge to GR. I'm going to go with Griffin Claw this time around.

The long deserted Derby condo project in East gets new life (the non-denominational church on Lake and Croswell has been bulldozed)

The crazy castle project in Grandville does not  get built. (I want an easy one to look back on) 

1 hour ago, jdkacz said:

The crazy castle project in Grandville does not  get built. (I want an easy one to look back on) 

Not saying I disagree with you on this one, but there has definitely been earth moving equipment at that site recently.  

1 hour ago, jdkacz said:

I got two of those right!

Chick Fil A, Whole Foods make announcements to enter GR. Ikea does not come to GR as we are sandwiched between Detroit's and Chicago's stores.

West Coast Coffee is gone... so there is opportunity for the market to expand.

Olga's is still empty, let's go Cheesecake for 2016!

GRFC announces they have plans to continue to rise up the soccer pyramid.

A new brewery by the West MI Whitecaps. While Atwater is moving downtown, I still feel another satellite brewery will make the plunge to GR. I'm going to go with Griffin Claw this time around.

The long deserted Derby condo project in East gets new life (the non-denominational church on Lake and Croswell has been bulldozed)

I definitely think Short's and/or another Detroit brewery could open a location here. I know we joke about new breweries opening all the time but I really think beer tourism is about to explode here. Another one downtown for sure and probably a few more suburban ones. Celadon still has another commercial building going up on Knapp, and that area is primed and underserved (other than Gravity, which isn't a brewery but is trying really hard). FYI, I'm not saying that IS happening, I'm just saying it would make a logical choice. 

EGR doesn't have a brewery yet either. 

22 minutes ago, jdkacz said:

Really? Well, I wont be disappointed at all if I am wrong on that one at all.

I think the question to your prediction is, to what scale will it be built?  Could it possibly be tastefully done,  or it could look like a joke and we'll end up calling it "6 flags over Jesus" or something.  

Here's my list:

1. Switch finishes construction on its first datacenter. Plans are announced for construction of an extended stay hotel nearby, as well as at least two low-end chain restaurants (Applebees, Chilis).
  2. Residential fiber finally starts becoming available in GR. Lightspeed continues its rollout by expanding into three residential neighborhoods: East Hills, Garfield Park/Alger Heights, and Belknap.
  3. The BOB's expansion continues to underwhelm in scope and construction speed.
  4. The Arena South movie theater project breaks ground.
  5. Downtown parking becomes more of a concern as surface lots are developed and monthly parkers make it difficult to find daily spaces. The city announces plans to construct a new ramp south of the arena to increase capacity.
  6. The river restoration project is fully funded, with a scheduled completion date in 2019.
  7. Zipcar comes to downtown GR.
  8. Burton Heights finally starts to see some activity; in addition to plans to redevelop the former Burton Heights UMC into low-income housing, at least one major commercial development is announced for the Burton & Division intersection.
  9. Perceived crime and instability continues to hamper development on Division from Cherry to Cottage Grove.
  10. A chain pharmacy announces plans to come to downtown GR, located near Monroe Center.
  11. Mayor Bliss announces an aggressive campaign to reduce homelessness using a housing-first model, with Well House playing an integral role.
  12. The large surface lot on the river south of Fulton starts to receive attention for development; nothing concrete is announced.
  13. Azzar passes away; his estate liquidates his properties.

12 minutes ago, organsnyder said:

Here's my list:

1. Switch finishes construction on its first datacenter. Plans are announced for construction of an extended stay hotel nearby, as well as at least two low-end chain restaurants (Applebees, Chilis).
  2. Residential fiber finally starts becoming available in GR. Lightspeed continues its rollout by expanding into three residential neighborhoods: East Hills, Garfield Park/Alger Heights, and Belknap.
  3. The BOB's expansion continues to underwhelm in scope and construction speed.
  4. The Arena South movie theater project breaks ground.
  5. Downtown parking becomes more of a concern as surface lots are developed and monthly parkers make it difficult to find daily spaces. The city announces plans to construct a new ramp south of the arena to increase capacity.
  6. The river restoration project is fully funded, with a scheduled completion date in 2019.
  7. Zipcar comes to downtown GR.
  8. Burton Heights finally starts to see some activity; in addition to plans to redevelop the former Burton Heights UMC into low-income housing, at least one major commercial development is announced for the Burton & Division intersection.
  9. Perceived crime and instability continues to hamper development on Division from Cherry to Cottage Grove.
  10. A chain pharmacy announces plans to come to downtown GR, located near Monroe Center.
  11. Mayor Bliss announces an aggressive campaign to reduce homelessness using a housing-first model, with Well House playing an integral role.
  12. The large surface lot on the river south of Fulton starts to receive attention for development; nothing concrete is announced.
  13. Azzar passes away; his estate liquidates his properties.

Is #12 the Charley's Crab location? The DeVos umbrella owns that property don't they? I could certainly see something there (I imagine it has to? Would they build another higher end hotel project?)