Predictions for the coming year

GRDadof3

12 minutes ago, arcturus said:

No Icon on Bond II or is it just too preliminary to mention?

I found this, does this mean it is dead?

Description:

601 Bond Ave NW – Dimensional - P-BZA-2015-0025 To exceed the maximum height and number of bonus height stories permitted in the Downtown Height Overlay District (DHOD) by two stories and 5 ft. The DHOD permits combined bonus height allowances not to exceed 90 ft in height or seven stories, whichever is less. A 16-story building with 9 bonus stories comprising 95 ft is proposed.

Jul 06, 2016 -  Closed-Withdrawn

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

I found this, does this mean it is dead?

Description:

601 Bond Ave NW – Dimensional - P-BZA-2015-0025 To exceed the maximum height and number of bonus height stories permitted in the Downtown Height Overlay District (DHOD) by two stories and 5 ft. The DHOD permits combined bonus height allowances not to exceed 90 ft in height or seven stories, whichever is less. A 16-story building with 9 bonus stories comprising 95 ft is proposed.

Jul 06, 2016 -  Closed-Withdrawn

8/27/16:

Boy...my record for 2016 stinks

GVSU will buy the Padnos scrap yard on Wealthy . No plans announced

Major renovation of the entire Calder plaza block. The Ford Federal Building will move and will become a mixed-use development. *Plans but nothing else*

A big national retailer will open up on Michigan Ave. Something like an Old Navy.

The post office will stay put.

Grand Rapids will become one of the first cities in America to allow drone delivery of food orders restricted to a few hours a day and only within a small zone. Jimmy Johns will be the first.

The Midtown area will become the next hot place to move to being sandwiched between Michigan and E. Fulton *Just dont know how popular it actually became*

The empty lot on the corner of Abney and Lake Dr. will get an infill building similar to the ones in Eastown. Retail on the first floor, two upper stories.

J&H Auto in East Hills will sell but it will take years to develop because the clean up costs. Will become a default public plaza for several years.

The Downtown Market will buy the empty lot across the street with no plans, but just to prevent the current owner from turning it into a permanent pay parking lot. *Sadly didnt happen*

The ICCF property at Wealthy and Division will get a project, but will disappoint everyone.

High-speed fiber will come to GR.

Plans for a rival urban market in the N. Monroe area will leak.

GRCC will partner with MSU or UoM. A massive 10 year rebuilding project will be announced.

Skywalk expansion project announced to connect Calder Plaza and points east to the VAI and the Michigan State medical school. Also the Waters building, Ledyard, and future building on the corner of Lyon and Ottawa

Uptown will become a huge satellite Art Prize venue. <-HINT, ArtPrize

West Michigan Grand Prix will return.

2017!

• YMCA announce building expansion at their DT campus
  • A 10-14 story tower is proposed on Market Ave.
  • The Church on Wealthy and Eastern will be purchased by a Michigan university as a special satellite campus (telecomuting students), complete with residential section.
  • Brewery Vivant opens a 2nd location
  • N. Monroe area continues to be mostly stagnant.
  • Breton Village gets a residential project.
  • 44-story building DT gets underway.
  • some shortcut between the Bus station and the DT market gets proposed.
  • Wilson and M-45 will explode with retail/residential development thanks to the Laker Line
  • East Hills home prices hit 300K at the lowest.
  • Baxter neighborhood starts to gentrify.
  • Sigsby school is demolished and rebuilt
  • Congress Elementary becomes a charter school.
  • West side, from Wealthy to Leonard...about .5 miles to the west, gets dozens of demolition requests for new homes and denser residential projects.
  • Lookout Hill becomes full of luxury residential projects and MSU's new west Michigan satellite campus.
  • S. Division is a lost cause.

11 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Boy...my record for 2016 stinks

2017!

•  
  • Wilson and M-45 will explode with retail/residential development thanks to the Laker Line
  •  

That's funny that you say that. The land to the West of it where they're clearing the trees is massive. I'm surprised an apartment complex hasn't been proposed there, or a large mixed use PUD. 

On 1/1/2017 at 9:59 AM, GRDadof3 said:

That's funny that you say that. The land to the West of it where they're clearing the trees is massive. I'm surprised an apartment complex hasn't been proposed there, or a large mixed use PUD. 

I do think the Laker Line will be the "hit" that the Silver Line was supposed to be. Build it!

Joe

On 1/5/2016 at 10:36 AM, RegalTDP said:

--Concur about Whole Foods.  I predict a location on 28th Street in Cascade, or on East Beltline. WRONG

--Disagree that IKEA will expand in GR anytime soon. RIGHT But if they do come, I predict they will build off I-196 near Hudsonville or off 131 way south - like in Dorr.

Other predictions...

--I still think Chik-Fil-A will enter the market soon. RIGHT

--Maybe beyond 2016, but Gaines Township will grow even more, and development will spill further into Caledonia Township.  Retail on Kalamazoo south of 60th will increase, and include a chain hotel or two.  Portions of 68th Street will be given grass medians and Michigan lefts.  68th will be the new 44th. WRONG but no way this would have all happened in one year anyway. Still think this will happen in the years ahead.

--Speaking of chain hotels, we're due for some more to enter our market, and probably will once Switch opens up.  Like Four Points or Radisson (again). WRONG

--Fast movement on Lyon & Ottawa - I bet we WON'T be disappointed with either the renderings or the final outcome.  WELL... Admit it, could've been worse :whistling:

--More infill on Plainfield Ave in Creston. RIGHT

--Uber & Lyft will increase in popularity as parking dries up. RIGHT - Lyft entered the market and Uber expanded service

Sorry I'm late to the party.  I don't have a lot of predictions this year.  Everyone took all the good predictions already anyway ;)

For 2017:

--Dammit, I STILL predict Whole Foods will plan a location on 28th Street or East Beltline.  Or EGR/Breton Village.  One of these years I'll get this right.

--USL will be the rumor of the year.  A stadium will be proposed.  Padnos on the westside would be my preference, but I can see a lame site, like right next to 5/3 Park or something, just as likely.

--Someone proposes a big development w/parking ramp on a Westside DASH lot.

--Woodland has broken ground on their expansion.

--Urban Outfitters will not be part of the Woodland expansion.  But they will open a location somewhere else in GR.

--x99 loves the finished Grandville Castle so much, he moves in!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

Sorry I'm late to the party.  I don't have a lot of predictions this year.  Everyone took all the good predictions already anyway ;)

For 2017:

--Dammit, I STILL predict Whole Foods will plan a location on 28th Street or East Beltline.  Or EGR/Breton Village.  One of these years I'll get this right.

--USL will be the rumor of the year.  A stadium will be proposed.  Padnos on the westside would be my preference, but I can see a lame site, like right next to 5/3 Park or something, just as likely.

--Someone proposes a big development w/parking ramp on a Westside DASH lot.

--Woodland has broken ground on their expansion.

--Urban Outfitters will not be part of the Woodland expansion.  But they will open a location somewhere else in GR.

--x99 loves the finished Grandville Castle so much, he moves in!

Urban Outfitters is definitely a go this year but they're being heavily courted by one (possibly two) other developments alongside Woodland. Woodland wants them badly but they're admittedly having a tough time competing against the other two developments. 

20 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Urban Outfitters is definitely a go this year but they're being heavily courted by one (possibly two) other developments alongside Woodland. Woodland wants them badly but they're admittedly having a tough time competing against the other two developments. 

I'd imagine timing will be a factor with Woodland. They have a lot more to do to get the site ready than a Breton or Knapp location. 

Joe

On 1/3/2017 at 8:40 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Almost 80 acres. Wasn't there a huge PUD built around the Meijer in Greenville? I'll have to look it up again. 

M-45 Meijer Property.JPG

I swear there's a common thread that runs around in society. I was having a beer with a friend yesterday and THEY brought up this property (they live about a mile away) and that they'd love to see more amenities in this area, particularly at this corner. :) And particularly since it will be a good TOD prospect with the Laker Line having a station right here.

Some of the ideas we came up with for this "project":

) Apartments above a retail main street. Not like the cheesy one in Allendale, much larger scale. 

) A movie theater. Maybe not a 20 screen but something like the Grand Haven theater or Ada Lowell 5. Many people in this area, Allendale and GVSU students apparently drive to Grand Haven instead of Rivertown.

) A hotel. There are no hotels nearby for family and friends that visit. Have to go way over to Alpine or way over to Grandville or Allendale.

) Shops, services and GOOD restaurants. Apparently Crooked Goose tastes exactly like you would imagine a crooked goose would taste like. 

I think it's a good one! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I swear there's a common thread that runs around in society. I was having a beer with a friend yesterday and THEY brought up this property (they live about a mile away) and that they'd love to see more amenities in this area, particularly at this corner. :) And particularly since it will be a good TOD prospect with the Laker Line having a station right here.

Some of the ideas we came up with for this "project":

) Apartments above a retail main street. Not like the cheesy one in Allendale, much larger scale. 

) A movie theater. Maybe not a 20 screen but something like the Grand Haven theater or Ada Lowell 5. Many people in this area, Allendale and GVSU students apparently drive to Grand Haven instead of Rivertown.

) A hotel. There are no hotels nearby for family and friends that visit. Have to go way over to Alpine or way over to Grandville or Allendale.

) Shops, services and GOOD restaurants. Apparently Crooked Goose tastes exactly like you would imagine a crooked goose would taste like. 

I think it's a good one! 

My belief is there will be retail along Lake Michigan Dr. where the prior houses were located. Same thing with the zoned area along Wilson, maybe a hardware store. With the rest of the area behind my predictions would be apartments similar to the ones created on Knapp's corner. That's just my guess though. For the longest time I thought a Home Depot would go behind the Meijer and fill up most of the area, but now I feel there is better use for that area, mixing residential and commercial.

2 hours ago, TheSutterKing said:

My belief is there will be retail along Lake Michigan Dr. where the prior houses were located. Same thing with the zoned area along Wilson, maybe a hardware store. With the rest of the area behind my predictions would be apartments similar to the ones created on Knapp's corner. That's just my guess though. For the longest time I thought a Home Depot would go behind the Meijer and fill up most of the area, but now I feel there is better use for that area, mixing residential and commercial.

The overall use map on the Realtor's site (MRetail) show's sort of what you're talking about. 

http://www.mretail.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2-Lake-Mich_Wilson-2-10-15.pdf

Pretty humdrum. 

5 hours ago, temporary.name said:

I went there plenty of times and the food was always good. A 4.1/5 stars on Google Maps with 71 reviews is pretty decent. Your friend must be old with aging taste buds. Tell them to go back to Walker Roadhouse. 

Two people have told me that. They're like me, they think Twisted Rooster is OK to pretty good, but both do not like Crooked Goose. I haven't tried it so I can't really say. Don't forget, it's Westiders on those reviews. Their taste buds are not fully matured from Mr Burger yet. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Two people have told me that. They're like me, they think Twisted Rooster is OK to pretty good, but both do not like Crooked Goose. I haven't tried it so I can't really say. Don't forget, it's Westiders on those reviews. Their taste buds are not fully matured from Mr Burger yet. :)

But boy do they miss Fables! :D

• Like 2

One can only hope that Walker will make an effort to carve out something walkable and urban out of that large chunk of land. it's a golden opportunity to establish something in Standale that is worth showing off.

But I can only assume it will be the standard crap cheap apartment subdivisions, and a bunch of strip mall out-buildings and a couple of big box warehouse stores

With the Meijer land, you could fit a massive chunk of DT GR in there. Sadly it will all likely become like the Meijer and strip malls at the corner.

On 1/7/2017 at 6:51 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Weak. 

21 hours ago, MJLO said:

But boy do they miss Fables! :D

Says the guy from Wyoming and worked at McDonald's.

Ok, this is a bit late, was waiting for the new year and time got away from me. 

1. The pipeline for new apartments downtown (and near downtown) will dry up. Don't expect the rash of announcements like we had in 2016 as inventory is absorbed (and the price point is tested). Expect competitive rates and unusual amenities to be offered to increase occupancy rates.

2. The beer craze will start to slow. A few breweries will consolidate operations or seek exit strategies in 2017. 

3. There will be movement on the post office site. Betsy DeVoses position with Trump will get the wheels moving on a new post office facility outside downtown, possibly in the new Walker Industrial park, or the old GM plant on 36th.

4. Property next to the MSU Research facility will be discussed for a possible alternative City / County / Parking complex.

5. Funding for the Rapids will accelerate with site prep beginning before the end of the year.

6. In a swap (of sorts), Franklin Partners will buy the County Building, Ferris will buy the Keeler Building turning it into student housing and additional space for the school.

7. Lormax Stern, PREIT and CWD will duke it out to land some of the coveted retailers we've been speculating about (REI, Urban Outfitters, Container Store, Crate and Barrel). Ultimately, Woodland will land most of the store, but Breton Village will get a few (including Urban Outfitters). Lormax Stern may go back to the planning commission to change their site plan to accommodate more restaurants and larger free-standing stores.

8. The 50 Monroe de-skinning will begin. The Ottawa side will be restored to its former glory. The Monroe side will get a completely new facade. In fact, it may be a full knockdown and rebuild (Yantrasast involved in designing the facade?).

9. Rockford Construction will snap up the Ferris Nut building on Winter Avenue to add to their collection around Bridge Street.

10. 20 E. Fulton will land a CVS, Walgreens or 7/11. Expect 24/7 security guards to be added to the workforce.

11. Eenhoorn will dust off plans for the riverfront next to Plaza Towers

12. Metro / UM will announce plans for a large addition on its M6 campus, bringing a new specialty to town.

13. No soccer arena in the near future. I'd put this on my 2020 predictions. 

14. The Calder Plaza plans will stall due to uncertainty of DeVos Place expansion.

15. The Hinman building will move forward, but may include some condos in the plan due to the saturated apartment market.

16. The Orbit Room will be no more. Expect a big redevelopment plan for the Northeast side of the mall between Nordstrom Rack, Best Buy and Eastbrook Lanes.

17. There will be a big push in 2017 to get the Laker Line finalized and funded (but not started in 2017).

Joe

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Ok, this is a bit late, was waiting for the new year and time got away from me. 

1. The pipeline for new apartments downtown (and near downtown) will dry up. Don't expect the rash of announcements like we had in 2016 as inventory is absorbed (and the price point is tested). Expect competitive rates and unusual amenities to be offered to increase occupancy rates.

2. The beer craze will start to slow. A few breweries will consolidate operations or seek exit strategies in 2017. 

3. There will be movement on the post office site. Betsy DeVoses position with Trump will get the wheels moving on a new post office facility outside downtown, possibly in the new Walker Industrial park, or the old GM plant on 36th.

4. Property next to the MSU Research facility will be discussed for a possible alternative City / County / Parking complex.

5. Funding for the Rapids will accelerate with site prep beginning before the end of the year.

6. In a swap (of sorts), Franklin Partners will buy the County Building, Ferris will buy the Keeler Building turning it into student housing and additional space for the school.

7. Lormax Stern, PREIT and CWD will duke it out to land some of the coveted retailers we've been speculating about (REI, Urban Outfitters, Container Store, Crate and Barrel). Ultimately, Woodland will land most of the store, but Breton Village will get a few (including Urban Outfitters). Lormax Stern may go back to the planning commission to change their site plan to accommodate more restaurants and larger free-standing stores.

8. The 50 Monroe de-skinning will begin. The Ottawa side will be restored to its former glory. The Monroe side will get a completely new facade. In fact, it may be a full knockdown and rebuild (Yantrasast involved in designing the facade?).

9. Rockford Construction will snap up the Ferris Nut building on Winter Avenue to add to their collection around Bridge Street.

10. 20 E. Fulton will land a CVS, Walgreens or 7/11. Expect 24/7 security guards to be added to the workforce.

11. Eenhoorn will dust off plans for the riverfront next to Plaza Towers

12. Metro / UM will announce plans for a large addition on its M6 campus, bringing a new specialty to town.

13. No soccer arena in the near future. I'd put this on my 2020 predictions. 

14. The Calder Plaza plans will stall due to uncertainty of DeVos Place expansion.

15. The Hinman building will move forward, but may include some condos in the plan due to the saturated apartment market.

16. The Orbit Room will be no more. Expect a big redevelopment plan for the Northeast side of the mall between Nordstrom Rack, Best Buy and Eastbrook Lanes.

17. There will be a big push in 2017 to get the Laker Line finalized and funded (but not started in 2017).

Joe

I bet you're right about Rockford buying Ferris. There's a lot of building infrastructure there to just tear it down though. It will be interesting. Maybe another Founders facility until the time is right to redevelop? 10 years down the road? 

• Like 2