Predictions for the coming year

GRDadof3

16 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Are you saying this as a prediction or as a follow up to a prediction? Any idea when we might have an idea?

I didn't really know where else to put it. I thought there used to be a thread called "Something big is coming..." but I couldn't find it.

23 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

These responses are great. :) Someone with the city told me that something big was coming and that "I" would be excited about it. It takes a lot to excite me these days so I figure it must be legit. :P 

Those of us who've been around here as long as you are in the same boat haha.  I remember when a renovation, or small construction project was enough to get me excited.  Even though I have no idea what you're referring to I don't want to speculate on what something "big" could be based on my standards.  :tw_joy:

9 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Can you give a location?

I don't know anything. It was vague'd to me by someone in the know. It may be a project, it may be a tenant. My hunch is that it's a tenant announcement. There's an awful lot of large-scale retail coming online here soon.  Some of the biggest downtown has seen since Mackie's World. :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't know anything. It was vague'd to me by someone in the know. It may be a project, it may be a tenant. My hunch is that it's a tenant announcement. There's an awful lot of large-scale retail coming online here soon.  Some of the biggest downtown has seen since Mackie's World. :)

That would be outstanding. I've noticed that unless you're going out drinking or going to an event, downtown offers little.

Getting some shops or something would be great

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

MACKIE'S WORLD!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

What is Mackey's World?

It was a mall that was for children . It used to be called City Centre and before that it was a department store called Herpolsheimer's. They had like a little ride on the ceiling that I remember riding in the 80s.

46 minutes ago, goatstare said:

It was a mall that was for children . It used to be called City Centre and before that it was a department store called Herpolsheimer's. They had like a little ride on the ceiling that I remember riding in the 80s.

Police station now?

I'm not from GR some I don't know the history of the city too well

1 hour ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Police station now?

I'm not from GR some I don't know the history of the city too well

Yes, Herposheimers (sp?) was in an indoor mall where the police station is now. They tried to make it a "mall for children" but big shocker it failed miserably. No parking. :)

It was such a failure that for nearly a decade after, everyone said that retail would never work downtown and would go the way of Mackey's World. All the Letters to the Editor said so in the GR Press. 

I only brought it up because it was quite a large retail complex and most of the retail downtown has been small 2000 - 4000 sf spaces since then. 

A little more I was able to dig up on Mackie's World:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-11-15/travel/9811150410_1_kids-juice-box-rare-illness

https://www.apnews.com/9ace41121e7480b1db3c92e6c13cb4a8

I have vague memories of riding the suspended train when it was City Center. We took the GRATA bus downtown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yes, Herposheimers (sp?) was in an indoor mall where the police station is now. They tried to make it a "mall for children" but big shocker it failed miserably. No parking. :)

It was such a failure that for nearly a decade after, everyone said that retail would never work downtown and would go the way of Mackey's World. All the Letters to the Editor said so in the GR Press. 

I only brought it up because it was quite a large retail complex and most of the retail downtown has been small 2000 - 4000 sf spaces since then. 

When did the police station move in?

8 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

When did the police station move in?

2001-03ish IIRC.  The police station and county courthouse were relocated in the early 00's to make way for Devos Place.   They were originally part of the urban renewal of the 50s/60's that turned the north end of downtown into a suburban office park, replacing the street level dense district that was there prior. 

• Sad 2

On 5/19/2018 at 8:07 AM, MJLO said:

2001-03ish IIRC.  The police station and county courthouse were relocated in the early 00's to make way for Devos Place.   They were originally part of the urban renewal of the 50s/60's that turned the north end of downtown into a suburban office park, replacing the street level dense district that was there prior. 

Oh man, I always forget that the "Hall of Justice" used to be there.

Grand%20Rapids%20-%20Recent%20(Hall%20of

8a0b145428eee1e5b276cbb9b109a07b.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 10:43 PM, organsnyder said:

A little more I was able to dig up on Mackie's World:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-11-15/travel/9811150410_1_kids-juice-box-rare-illness

https://www.apnews.com/9ace41121e7480b1db3c92e6c13cb4a8

I have vague memories of riding the suspended train when it was City Center. We took the GRATA bus downtown.

I definitely remember riding in that purple suspended train as a child and then again as a less-than-rule-following teenager. 

I will be excited if it is anything except the following: 

1) New Downtown Hotel outside of the proposal in between Windquest and Auditorium. 

2) New downtown headquarters for a regional law firm. 

3) New brewery within 100 mile radius of GR. 

• Like 1