Miami Metrorail Adventures

KendallKid

So now I work in Downtown Miami and I take the metrorail from Dadeland. The last time I took the metrorail was 4 years ago so I noticed a large diffrence. MANY MANY people. It was incredible! It used to be that Dadeland North and Government Center where the only stations with people, but now all the stops we made had many people, this wasnt rush hour either it was 11:00 a.m. Rush Hour however was standing room only. I was very excited to see people in miami are finally embracing mass transit.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now I work in Downtown Miami and I take the metrorail from Dadeland. The last time I took the metrorail was 4 years ago so I noticed a large diffrence. MANY MANY people. It was incredible! It used to be that Dadeland North and Government Center where the only stations with people, but now all the stops we made had many people, this wasnt rush hour either it was 11:00 a.m. Rush Hour however was standing room only. I was very excited to see people in miami are finally embracing mass transit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I lived in MIA from 2000-2002 I used to ride the Metrorail from the Hialeah station to Government Center. I would find that a number of people tend to ride the train from 11:00am to 1:00pm. I would get on at 7:45am and the train would always be full. During the times I left work, which varied from 5:30 to 10:00pm, the train would also be full.

I'm starting to wonder if Metro has been under reporting transit numbers. The trains are always packed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm interesting possibility. It is a combo of better transit due to the tax and higher gas prices and the condos. All of these things have contributed

I've been impressed by the increased ridership numbers throughout the system, especially the Medley-Government Center segment.

Medley Station is great for the NW Dade park-n-riders, as well as commuters from west Broward who want an alternative to the Palmetto Expressway and 836. Then there's the Tri-Rail Transfer station which gets all the tri-county commuters that head downtown.

With more frequent trains running during peak times, the fact that they're still full is remarkable. It just goes to show that when you provide a viable alternative to the automobile, it will get used. Now imagine what it will be like when we have a full system serving more areas. People are sick of traffic. Go Metrorail! :)

Here are some factoids on Miami-Dade Transit, as of 2003:

• 16th largest agency in USA, largest in Florida.

• Operates bus, heavy rail, automated people mover, bus rapid transit, and paratransit. Soon will operate light-rail transit in form of streetcar.

• Services provided 365 days a year

• 580 40-ft. buses, 66 60-ft. buses; 184 minibuses, 95 vans.

• 207,698 daily (weekday) bus boardings, 4,043 on Paratransit

• 11 bus routes operate 24 hours a day, and there are 3 routes that run only at night.

• South Dade Busway average ridership: 12,500 weekday; weekend, 13,600. This does not include the latest extension to Naranja in SW Dade, which just opened.

• Metrorail has 22 stations, spaced about one mile apart

• 136 train cars, can carry avg. 164 passengers

• 48,039 daily boardings

• Operates from 5am-12am, 365 days a year. After the PTP tax was passed, the system ran briefly for 24 hours but was closed down due to low ridership. Buses now follow the Metrorail alignment during off-hours.

• Headways: every 6 minutes (morning/afternoon peak hrs.), 8-10 minutes weekday midday hours, 15-30 minutes after 6pm, every 15 minutes weekends until 8pm, 30 minutes weekends 8pm-12am.

More info: Miami-Dade Transit

P.S. Considering these are 2003 numbers, I'm sure these numbers have risen since then. To me, the Busway weekend ridership is an astonishing figure.

Archived