Capitol View Northwestern Mutual/HCA 32 acres of mixed use | UC

smeagolsfree

I was about to start this last night.

I guess we will have to wait and see who the architect is, but I would bet ESA may be the company as they have already done other work for HCA. If HCA has control of the property, then we will have to wait and see what happens. I would love to see a large group of high-rise buildings for a campus move from the curent location, but that is nothing but wishful thinking on my part.

According to what I have read they will not start construction till 4th qtr of next year.

What we know now.

From the Tennessean...

HCA plans to buy nearly 11 acres off Charlotte Avenue in the North Gulch area near downtown and will invest $200 million in new headquarters space for two of its subsidiaries. The move represents a dramatic shift in the more than year-long effort to bring more than 2,000 employees into the city’s core. The new deal also marks an end to HCA’s previous agreement for Parallon Business Solutions and Sarah Cannon Research Institute to anchor twin towers that developer Alex Palmer had planned at his West End Summit project in midtown Nashville.

Site design is currently underway and HCA expects the new headquarters to be open by late 2016. The site is part of a larger 32-acre swath of land for which owner Northwestern Mutual and development partner Boyle Investment Co. are developing a master plan. The plan will likely call for a mixed-use project, dubbed Capitol View, that would include offices, retail and restaurants, a hotel, multi-family residential and other uses.

Haynes expects to finish the final master plan for Capitol View by the end of next month. The plan will include details, such as which part of the 32 acres that HCA will build on and how much additional office space would be included in the mixed-used development. Overall, construction of Capitol View should start within the next year, he said.

The location;

CapitolView_zps697c636a.jpg

I am trying to summarize some of the more reasonable and important speculations about HCA's needs for the new office space based on previous discussions in this forum and feel comfortable in listing the following:

> HCA wants each division to have it's own separate and distinct identity. This likely means they will not share a building.

> The Palmer proposal for a 17 and a 20 story building apparently did not allow for additional tenants. Each building was to be occupied solely by the designated HCA division.

> There were hints dropped by apparent 'insiders' that more office space may be planned than was originally proposed.

These speculations lead me to believe we may see something very similar to what was proposed for the WES site. I don't know how much you can get on a ten acre site, but I suspect two large buildings and a parking garage would come close to filling it up.

I was about to start this last night.

I guess we will have to wait and see who the architect is, but I would bet ESA may be the company as they have already done other work for HCA. If HCA has control of the property, then we will have to wait and see what happens. I would love to see a large group of high-rise buildings for a campus move from the curent location, but that is nothing but wishful thinking on my part.

According to what I have read they will not start construction till 4th qtr of next year.

HCA and Gresham & Smith have been joined at the hip from the beginning of HCA's corporate life. I would figure they would be in the mix to design the HQ also.

HCA and Gresham & Smith have been joined at the hip from the beginning of HCA's corporate life. I would figure they would be in the mix to design the HQ also.

Just about to say this. My dad has been with GS&P since '76 and they've always had a really good partnership with HCA. Probably wouldn't be where they are without HCA. I'll talk to him tomorrow and see if they have any plans in the works.

Maybe it'll look like the proposal for the old convention center site.....;)

(Repost in this thread)

I am excited with the north Gulch location selection. It will be interested to see how the project develops. There are several outstanding questions….

1) Boyle??? I am surprised by their selection. I have been on the web but I have yet to find a similar urban mixed-used corp. HQ development. In fact. all of their stuff (that I can find) seems small-time and suburban.

2) Originally there was to be a new I-40 on and off ramp configuration but I have not hear that mentions in the revision.

3) Also there was to be a street-car/trolly system throughout the development. I would love of this to be implemented and even expanded into the south Gulch area.

4) I am also interested in how they tie this into Jefferson Street/Farmer's Market/Sulfur Dell/Capital area.

The area is governed by the downtown code. It is specified as the Gulch North subdistrict, except for the parcels fronting Charlotte Avenue, which are Gulch South. The standard max height for buildings in this subdistrict is 7 stories. Bonus height is available for the standard list of niceties up to 10 stories below 560' elevation. The regulations specify that buildings should be set back no more than 10 feet from the sidewalk. Parking is supposed to be contained behind buildings.

The max height for the Gulch south parts of the property are 10 stories, with a required 15' step back after seven stories. A maximum of 16 stories is allowed for the Charlotte Ave Gulch South properties.

The post reports that franklin based Kiser + Vogrin is behind the north gulch master plan. http://kiservogrin.com/

• Like 1

Ikea is out.  Target, Publix, Cinebistro are looking hard at this development.  Multiple parking decks is what I heard.

I think Publix and Target would be good fits for the project. There is just not enough room foe an Ikea at this location from what I have seen in other areas. They seem to like surface parking. However an urban Crate and Barrel would be very cool.

• Like 2

Palmer issues statement...

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/12/18/palmer_reaches_for_the_rose_colored_glasses

Alex Palmer just issued a statement on the heels of the announcement that HCA will not have its Parallon and Sarah Cannon Research Institute subsidiaries be tenants in his long-planned West End Summit.

Though he is known for his always-upbeat demeanor, the developer has placed a robustly (and almost bafflingly) positive spin on the situation given the disappointment he must feel in the wake of the setback.

Here is Palmer's statement in full:

“While we’re disappointed in HCA’s decision, this creates a real opportunity for our company to realize the original vision for West End Summit – to create a Class A office building and four-star hotel on the site.

“We have maintained conversations with potential tenants for the project over the past few months, and there is significant interest. While it took us longer than expected, we were successful in getting financing for the project in place with an excellent team of debt and equity partners.

“The economy is finally on our side.  It’s no secret that there is tremendous demand for Class A office space in Nashville, with a less than 5 percent vacancy rate at this time, according to market surveys. There’s also an equally strong demand for new hotel rooms, and our relationship with the Intercontinental Hotel remains intact and solid. They are ready to move forward on our timeline.

“We are in an excellent position to create a development at this site that all of Nashville can be proud of.”

Edited by mirydi

While we’re disappointed in HCA’s decision, this creates a real opportunity for our company to realize the original vision for West End Summit 

So... he was hindered by HCA and had to change the vision from Class A office space & a 5 star hotel to Class A office space and a 5 star hotel?

I mean, let him be optimistic. But yeah.

Troubling signal from Boyle already on the North Gulch (Capital View) project.  They have retained a suburban landscape designer (Kiser + Vogrin) for the site planning.  Their work is thoroughly suburban, complete with curvy streets and wooded banks, pretty but unsuitable for a close-in office development.  They show nothing urban on their website.  

You want to think the best for this project, but then things like this (and the huge acreage for the HCA affiliates) make one nervous that it will be just another suburban mixed-use (what they will certainly call "dense") development plopped in a crowded corner of downtown.  Sometimes all you can do is shrug and say, "Nashville developers just don't get it."  We'll see! 

http://kiservogrin.com/OntheBoards/tabid/335/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/166/Franklin-based-firm-handling-North-Gulch-site-master-plan.aspx

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

They did the Trolley Barns where Pinewood social is located. The lighting, furnishings and planet containers look urban industrial chic. Rumor has it that the design has gone through multiple redesigns.

The Trolley Barns are also surrounded by surface parking.  Oh Lord...I'm preparing to be very disappointed. 

Edited by BnaBreaker

Let's wait to grumble until after the plans are released, please. It's one thing to be disappointed in renderings or plans. As of now, we do not have those. I don't think it is fair to already be panicking that North Gulch is going to turn out like some suburban office park.

• Like 3

Good point... and while I have not been to Boyle's Meridian development in Franklin, I understand it is actually somewhat urban, in a suburban sort of way ;) .

I wouldn't call it urban, but the land usage and development is more attractive than most of the usual Cool Springs fare. But this isn't Cool Springs. I would think that the developers/designers realize that every project is different. North Gulch has a partial grid, which means the setup should be different than if it were just an open field in Cool Springs.

I'm not sure whether or not the layout and design will be good, but I'm definitely willing to wait to pass judgment until I actually see it. :)

• Like 1

There's a probably a limit to how "urban" the NW Mutual site is going to ever be.    It's not particularly urban now, having spent the last 50 years as an isolated brownfield of light industry and asphalt.    The street grid is truncated because of the railroads and interstate and it doesn't connect with downtown foot traffic.    

But suburbia won't work here either.    It was laughable to plop a mini fake suburb of crayon colored single family houses just over the other side of the interstate, and I think many of us agree we don't want to see a little Metro Center or Maryland Farms go here.    It needs to be an extension of the South Gulch in terms of density and a slight edginess.    I'd like to see waivers on the height restrictions, but not other urban zoning elements like parking or setbacks.      

I'm optimistic this is going to be a great overall development.   Can't say why, I just am. 

• Like 2

I'll remain cautiously optimistic until I see actual dirt being moved. They were core drilling this morning. I suspect this will be a collection of low rise buildings in the 5-8 story range. We know what happened to May Town Center, Buchanon Point, WES, and the rest. I won't believe it until I see it.

Meridian is an office park with a small lifestyle center attached. I used to visit frequently when I worked in Cool Springs because my best friend worked in an office there. Hopefully Capital View will look nothing like it. There should not be a single surface lot in this development, IMO. I will also be very disappointed if there are no towers in this development. 

Target, Publix and Cinebistro sound like a great fit for this site. I'm curious to see if NWMutual will focus on big box retail for this site or whether there will be a mix of smaller stores as well. It would great to see them add in some local-based establishments. 

Edited by ariesjow

I had a moment and did a quick search for NWML developments, and came up with this, a Hines development in Milwaukee for NWML with 32-story high rise designed by Pickard-Chilton.  By sheer coincidence, it is approximately the size that SCRI and Parallon were needing in WES, and the number of employees is about the same.  Does anyone here know how to lobby any of Nashville's local developers?  

Love the picture... but I'm afraid it would only get our hopes up for this site.  

http://www.hines.com/press/releases/9-25-13.aspx

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

I had a moment and did a quick search for NWML developments, and came up with this, a Hines development in Milwaukee for NWML with 32-story high rise designed by Pickard-Chilton.  By sheer coincidence, it is approximately the size that SCRI and Parallon were needing in WES, and the number of employees is about the same.  Does anyone here know how to lobby any of Nashville's local developers?  

Love the picture... but I'm afraid it would only get our hopes up for this site.  

http://www.hines.com/press/releases/9-25-13.aspx

Pickard Chilton are one of the top 5 designers in the country, IMO. I'd love to have a couple more of their buildings here.