Capitol View Northwestern Mutual/HCA 32 acres of mixed use | UC

smeagolsfree

13 hours ago, FrankNash said:

Will Northwestern Mutual be doing any of the developing or are they just selling land for development?

This section was never owned by NW mutual, so they're not involved.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

These views within Capitol View will look very different five years from now. Someone remind me to post before/after pics at that time.   : )

Jo Johnston Avenue looking east from just west of the intersection with 11th Avenue North:

Jo_Johnston_Ave.JPG

Looking south along 11th Avenue North from near the intersection with Jo Johnston Avenue:

11th Avenue North and Jo Johnston, March, 2016.JPG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
How much of an impact will this have in this part of town? nashville as a whole? I heard this is suppose to be game-changing, but it just seems like a standard mixed use community.

The current building isn't super tall, but I drove in on Charlotte from St Thomas midtown today. I almost never go that way ... And the massing of the building along the street really surprised me. A big impact from that perspective.

On 8/14/2016 at 2:14 PM, Nashtitans said:

How much of an impact will this have in this part of town? Nashville as a whole? I heard this is suppose to be game-changing, but it just seems like a standard mixed use community.

I can't speak from any level of authority, but a coworker was complaining yesterday that his commute through that area was becoming really bottle necked and that he was not looking forward to it opening because of the additional traffic.  Another conversation with my bus driver had him laughing because they call this area "north gulch" now, when it used to just be Jo(e?) Johnson, and that used to be a really bad area of town.  So it's already changing things.  I also know there's a few more restaurants etc. opening in that area as well.

• Like 1

It has become a bottleneck. The closure of 11th at the new building redirected a lot of traffic trying to turn onto 11th at Charlotte. And for some reason the timing on the light was shortened so that only 6-8 cars and can make it at the turn arrow. It may improve some if 11th ever reopens. They've allowed the construction site to keep 11th closed way too long.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Nashtitans said:

You know we been dealing with getting lackluster buildings in this city... this is one of the better ones. Loving how this is turning out. Very visible from the interstate too.

I couldn't agree more, I think that it will be even better within the context of the future development that will surround it. It reminds me of the way the Icon was all by itself when it was first built, before eventually becoming pretty much the center of a new urban area. 

• Like 3