Capitol View Northwestern Mutual/HCA 32 acres of mixed use | UC

smeagolsfree

Here is the news I had yesterday and had to wait till the story came out. This is behind pay wall but will open up at some point.

Cooper Carry out of Atlanta to build on site plan done by Kiser + Vogrin out of Franklin. We are going to have to wait on the site plan. Maybe up to six months.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/4/2/atlanta_based_firm_to_craft_north_gulch_site_master_plan

Here is the news I had yesterday and had to wait till the story came out. This is behind pay wall but will open up at some point.

Cooper Carry out of Atlanta to build on site plan done by Kiser + Vogrin out of Franklin. We are going to have to wait on the site plan. Maybe up to six months.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/4/2/atlanta_based_firm_to_craft_north_gulch_site_master_plan

I viewed the website for Cooper Carry and they have very nice high profile Mixed-use developments they have been involved with. The Majority of their projects are high density and have little to no surface parking.

I am very excited they were brought on to build on the site plan. Can't wait to see the sight plan for the north gulch site once its complete.

http://www.coopercarry.com/#/portfolio/specialties/mixed-use/

• Like 2

I viewed the website for Cooper Carry and they have very nice high profile Mixed-use developments they have been involved with. The Majority of their projects are high density and have little to no surface parking.

I am very excited they were brought on to build on the site plan. Can't wait to see the sight plan for the north gulch site once its complete.

I forgot to post their site. Thanks for doing so. Their work is impressive.

Please no skywalks it takes the activity from the street and breaks the sight lines.

I suppose it's a matter of taste, I'm very much in favor of anything (skywalks, bridges, overlooks, terraces) that pulls your eye upwards and allows you to project yourself (mentally) to another level/altitude, it's exciting, invites you to explore, and breaks up the inevitable boredom of a bunch of boxy buildings sitting on the flat ground.  As to sight lines, it's not like we're framing a view of the Eiffel tower, and it's nice to have something in the middle distance, the parallax as you move around creates more of a feeling of depth and of the scale of the space.

This kind of work is so unlike Nashville, I don't know if people here are ready for this level of architecture and spacial design. The Gulch is coming close, but the Cooper Carry portfolio puts them up there with Gensler, Loewenberg, Pichard-Chilton, Duda Paine, Cesar Pelli, Adrian Smith Gordon Gill, SOM, Perkins-Wil and others. I hope Nashville can handle this! We have some fine firms here in Nashville, but nothing can compare to the aforementioned list that have been contacted by Giarratana, Alex Palmer,  and others to develop buildings here.

Nashville does need a statement piece of architecture, and I think The Sobro may be it, I just hope the city does not rely on Tony for all of it.

Gresham Smith to handle design work for HCA buildings in the N Gulch.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/4/11/gsp_to_design_hca_buildings_in_north_gulch

Yeah, I've been trying to get a sneak peek on this one to no avail. I have a pretty decent source in GS&P and have known about this one for a bit. HCA and GS&P have a long history together.

• 4 weeks later...

Browsing that site, apparently they did the Opry Mills refurbishment.  Also did a lot of stuff just down the road from me in Arlington.  Stuff over there isn't bad at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this article on the net regarding Publix building a store in downtonw B-ham. Congrats to B-ham and their leadership in making it happen.

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2014/05/publix_to_build_grocery_store.html

I have nothing against Birmingham and think it is a great little city that is making great strides with their downtown. They actually have a really nice new downtown minor leauge park, a public park, and apartments near the park, (sorta like what we are doing with the Sounds development).

However, I do think we would have at least had an announcement regarding a downtown grocery store.Their amount of development and downtown residents is no where near Nashville's level.  I definitely think our chances of getting a "true" downtown full service grocery store will break ground this year with the HCA development, and If not, I would be really disappointed. 

I think the proximity of UAB and the Unversity hospital helped with the decision to open the Publix.

Thoughts, Comments??

That's awesome for Birmingham. That have a nice urban fabric and it look like they are starting to get things moving there. The rumor seems to be that a Whole Foods is in the works for Capital View which I definitely think is more impressive to have downtown than Publix (although arguably less practical). Ron also suggested that other grocers may be looking around downtown. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Publix soontoo given how long one seems to have been rumored for around the core. We already know we're on their radar. 

Edited by ariesjow

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who may have missed it, a portion of this development, referred to as the HCA lot, has been striped for temporary state employee parking for the duration of CMA Week [it'll always be Fan Fair to me].  Since construction started on the new ballpark, which closed 4 lots used for state employee parking, the lots at the football field have served.  They are now being used for fan Fair parking.  So, this temporary arrangement. 

• 1 month later...

Here you go... Looks more like a residential building than a office building. Pleasantly surprised by the design and the height. The article also say's plenty of retail as well so that's good to hear. 

Screen%20Shot%202014-07-14%20at%205.17.4

Edited by mirydi