Capitol View Northwestern Mutual/HCA 32 acres of mixed use | UC

smeagolsfree

• 3 weeks later...

Here are new documents/diagrams for HCA/North Capitol.  Two things - It seems from the copy that Parallon and SCRI will both be in this building, not two separate buildings. Also, it seems the liner building on Nelson Merry has been eliminated from the design.

https://partners.skanska.com/usa/offices/tn/Shared%20Documents/HCA%20Capitol%20View/Schematic%20Documents/4013500_SD_CapitolView_FSbook_FINAL.pdf

• Like 2

I think that pushing the restaurant and retail to the interior portions of the development will lend a more pedestrian friendly feel to those storefronts.  A sidewalk cafe fronting Charlotte Ave. would not feel especially welcoming to most folks, eh?

A sidewalk cafe on Charlotte could be welcoming, but it would need an alcove, a plaza, or some kind of buffering against all that traffic noise.  Particularly from the Interstate on/off ramps that transition right there on Charlotte.

I am inclined to agree that placing the office buildings closer to Charlotte will create a buffer for a more pleasant interior micro-neighborhood feel.  I have always thought that this project would be like a Hill Center on steroids, and it is certainly turning out that way and actually exceeding my expectations.

Plus, locating the office buildings along a major bus route will at least start to make commuting to work via transit a viable option.  Placing the office buildings in the far interior would mean that nobody would take transit to work there unless they actually lived in one of the nearby highrises and could walk to work.  Some will do that anyway, but having the office buildings on Charlotte would mean that technically someone could take the Charlotte bus to/from work each day from Sylvan Park, The Nations, or even Bellevue, which opens up that transit commute opportunity to a much wider section of Nashville. 

Hotel users are often not transit riders anyway, so the location of the hotel on the interior of this site doesn't matter.  One of the big advantages to placing a hotel on this site is that it could serve to make Marathon Village an even larger entertainment destination.  This project could help connect Marathon Village to the Gulch as one mega entertainment area.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Hotel users are often not transit riders anyway, so the location of the hotel on the interior of this site doesn't matter.  One of the big advantages to placing a hotel on this site is that it could serve to make Marathon Village an even larger entertainment destination.  This project could help connect Marathon Village to the Gulch as one mega entertainment area.

Ooo... I really like this idea. I've always felt that Marathon felt too disconnected from the core due to the wilderness in between. I'm thrilled to realize this won't be the case for much longer!

• 3 weeks later...