Capitol View Northwestern Mutual/HCA 32 acres of mixed use | UC

smeagolsfree

• 3 weeks later...

Dang glass boxes.....KIDDING

This is going to be a really nice area in the coming years. It will be interesting to see how it will develop. With this and then everything on Demonbreun, we are starting to fill in that gap between the core and West End. Are there any residential developments around here being planned? 

Interesting that the signs say The Gulch. Are they trying to market it as part of the Gulch? I didn't think this area was part of it?

Interesting that the signs say The Gulch. Are they trying to market it as part of the Gulch? I didn't think this area was part of it?

They're billing this area as the "North Gulch."  It's funny how The Gulch keeps expanding outside of The Gulch.  

• Like 1

Dang glass boxes.....KIDDING

This is going to be a really nice area in the coming years. It will be interesting to see how it will develop. With this and then everything on Demonbreun, we are starting to fill in that gap between the core and West End. Are there any residential developments around here being planned? 

Here is info on the Capitol View Project

http://www.boyle.com/Portfolio/office/CapitolView.aspx

Capitol View will include the following:

Office - 1M SF

Retail - 312,000 SF

Hotels – 2 hotels, 420 rooms total

Multi-family - 1,065 units

Conference Center – 100,000 SF

Urban park/open community space

Jogging and bike trails that connect to Nashville Greenway system

**Also, the AT&T facility (which is not highlighted below-surrounded by yellow) was bought so the whole area is under the capitol view control

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/08/12/apartments-eyed-near-north-gulch-development/13965583/

aerial%20web(1).jpg

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 2

I think once this begins to go vertical, it will put some definite pressure on NES to find a less expensive place to store their bucket trucks and massive reels of cable. Exciting to think of that corridor being filled with pedestrians and retail!

Regarding the "Gulch" designation--remember the train tracks swing through the Capitol View area just the same as they do in the heart of The Gulch. I think that brings some continuity to the neighborhood and makes it reasonable to think that the entire thing could be unified under that name. It would likely be just as successful going by the Capitol View designation, but they are probably trying to capture some of the momentum carried by The Gulch and its "hot neighborhood" status.

• Like 3

The Gulch was, and is, a topographical feature long before it was a name for a neighborhood.  It runs north/south from around the Cannery to Jo Johnston Blvd; basically the railroad tracks run right through the center.

They're billing this area as the "North Gulch."  It's funny how The Gulch keeps expanding outside of The Gulch.  

• Like 1

That image nashmoney posted shows how much room for growth there is in that part of town.  I really, really would love to see the state parking lots consolidated to a single garage with some dense 4-6 story development. Don't want to lose the view of the Capitol, but I hate seeing all that asphalt.

I also really hope that we keep the green space around the Capitol.  So many state capitol buildings are stuck in the middle of urban development and are obscured by the skyscrapers or buildings around them.  Ours is such an iconic building (not to mention a piece of architectural history) that I hope it always has a large green space around it to keep it set apart.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 1

Here is info on the Capitol View Project

http://www.boyle.com/Portfolio/office/CapitolView.aspx

Capitol View will include the following:

Office - 1M SF

Retail - 312,000 SF

Hotels – 2 hotels, 420 rooms total

Multi-family - 1,065 units

Conference Center – 100,000 SF

Urban park/open community space

Jogging and bike trails that connect to Nashville Greenway system

**Also, the AT&T facility (which is not highlighted below-surrounded by yellow) was bought so the whole area is under the capitol view control

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/08/12/apartments-eyed-near-north-gulch-development/13965583/

aerial%20web(1).jpg

There is a LOT of land for future development within what all they are calling "The Gulch."  It looks large enough to probably add at least 50% of what is in the CBD.

The Gulch was, and is, a topographical feature long before it was a name for a neighborhood.  It runs north/south from around the Cannery to Jo Johnston Blvd; basically the railroad tracks run right through the center.

Indeed it was conceived out of the need to provide a complete central terminal and multiple yard and full-service facility shared by two rr companies until 1957 (when they merged).  While the roundhouse for serving steam engines had been closed during the early '50s, they actually had a vertical rotary-brush passenger-car washing set-up right behind Cummins Station, just down from the Demonbreun St. bridge.  The freight station, long abandoned and finally razed during the late '70s, was so long that it extended in two parts: one part from mid-block between Broad and Church, the other part from Church to Charlotte.  It had been constructed out of the same stone material as that of Union Station. Lifeway acquired some of the property (as well as air rights) where part of the freight depot had existed   Those large monolith rock retaining walls which can be seen in various places ─ above Gleaves St., below Magazine St., behind Eleven North from near 11th and Porter, to Charlotte, and along Charlotte at the underpass, and along 10th Ave (across from TSU), had been built during the late 19th century as part of gulch grading efforts.  Some 60 years ago, that area had been almost entirely lined with a maze of control towers, tracks, and switches, as barakat indicated, from Cannery Row (actually from near Arnolds) to almost Jo Johnston.

Back then, when I just could begin to ingest imagery of the outside world, all one could see from the overpasses were billows of ash and smoke and vapor plumes almost everywhere in the gulch ─ just awful and pathetically dirty and gritty (constant airborne coal cinder particulate).  Probably relatively few people anymore even realize this lost context of the term "gulch", as now it looks as if someone had the idea of just sticking a railroad track or two down behind a huge array of new apartment complexes.  It's become more of a marketing, if not exploited, buzz word of a newly evolved theme these days.

The gulch is a topo reference, as barakat said, to flat, depressed-elevation continuous land, excavated and built up as required to be made more or less plane, for accommodation of storage, maintenance, and operation of railroad equipment on parallel tracks, usually having been no fewer than 4 or 5, but often consisting of a 10-tuple (or wider) of tracks.  Adjoining property also is referred to collectively as comprising a gulch (in this context) when the elevation of such is indirectly associated with the same or a related industrial or commercial activity (e.g. tracks which once led to former Steinway Piano Co. [VU book repository], Gannett News Printing, Braid Electric Supplies, Olin Dry Ice Co.,...).  Railroad gulches had been found in DT Atlanta, Knoxv'l, Roanoke, Va.  Even Denver has a railroad gulch.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4

That large green space IS the Bicentennial Mall State Park!

Yeah, I know, but I am just saying that I hope the state never divests the lawns and park areas that surround the capitol building itself. 

Specifically, I fear it turning into something like Georgia's in Atlanta: surrounded on all sides by streets that come almost up to the edge of the building, giving it the feel of a glorified county court house.  Extremely unlikely, I know, but still...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And it will be filled with cars. All trying to exit at 5pm... Every single day.

Just might become the spark that ignites advanced capacity mass transit in NoBro, and the North Gulch, since I definitely see it directly affecting Jo Johnston, Charlotte Eleventh, Tenth Circle and all other rat-race in NW Capitol, feeding I-40/65.  Let's add to the same mixing bowl by throwing in Rosa Parks and Tenth Ave.

It's certainly a welcome stage in the development of that area, and with the nearby Sounds games, there just might be one or two more cars floating around (you think?).  Forgive me for even mentioning transportation in this thread, but it is relevant.  This a perfect opportunity for the next administration to pick up the baton and run with it, especially w/r/2 the much anticipated development at Capitol View. (nope I don't miss that dive they once called the Modern Era Club, which I used to brave back in the mid-'70s, nor do I miss Anthony's [can't admit going there though]).  With a huge latitude for redevelopment along Charlotte Ave as a whole (as opposed to Broadway/West End), this becomes a great launching point for transforming mass transit beyond the Charlotte BRT-lite staged to begin in just 16 days.  Many of us had that in mind during the AMP days, once it had been announced that HCA would skip on WES.

It also might be a fit point in time to consider a "10-11 corridor" (Tenth Ave - to - Eleventh Ave), from HBV to Charlotte to South Gulch, to help relieve some of that north-south "pressure" (sort of like the 28th-31st Ave Connector).  With the Capitol View aspirations seemingly running unchecked, it already might be too late for Metro to intervene and consider some kind of re-alignment of 10th Ave (south of the north RR wye leg behind Bruton Snuff) to 11th and Jo Johnston.  The expense might be worth negotiating with Capitol View and CSX to consider and plan alternatives to pass through the northern-most properties of Capitol View.  A major challenge would be to eliminate the level crossing at the north wye leg, while passing under the existing nearby elevated berm comprising the west leg of the wye and avoiding any restrictive grade changes.  None of the existing track can be removed, as it is required for RR equipment turning operations (as well as serving as the trunk main of the CSX Bruceton Sub-Divison).  It might be conceivable to completely elevate the north wye leg tack to the same level as the east and west RR approaches, as currently it is depressed to street level at its center and consists of a a steep reverse grade either side of 10th Ave.  Elevating this RR leg entirely could benefit both CSX and roadway movements.

Ten-Eleven North Connector (shown in yellow as a reverse 'S'-curve)

10-11%20Corridor_markup_zps43udwtkc.jpg

The point in all this is that Capitol View is a welcome huge chunk of expansion – a perfect complement to the existing Gulch development (and to the region as a whole).  But all we’ve seen so far is development, especially in the core, with no way to handle it “street-wise” (except for a few new 40-foot self-propelled “Radio Flyer” wagons with cloth-covered benches known as “buses”).

-==-

• Like 1

Someone needs to put a Chik Fil A in the ground level of one of the Capital View buildings and make a fortune.  

This Chicago location generates $5,000,00+ / a month revenue

lPbZc22.jpg

$5,000/month revenue? I would think $5,000/day. At least for some place that's really kickin'.

5 million a month, double what a normal Chik Fil A does

Doing the math on this makes it seem a tad unreasonable. $5,000,000 a month over 27 days(Sundays closed remember) would be roughly $185,000 a day. Assuming each customer spends $10(some will, some won't), this comes out to roughly 18,500 customers each and every day. If we assume that customers are perfectly spaced out between 6Am to 10PM this equates to roughly 1150 customers an hour. Which means they would need to service 19.3 customers a minute. Even if they have 8 registers going at once, this would be each customer interaction from ordering to payment would need to take 25 seconds.

Point being, when a number sounds too high to be true, it most likely is.

• Like 3