Capitol View Northwestern Mutual/HCA 32 acres of mixed use | UC

smeagolsfree

58 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

In quick research, the average new Publix is around 45,600 sf. The new 8th South store will be 39,000 sf., so at 26,000 sf this store will be comparatively small.

Yeah, that will be pretty small, but I also would take it over nothing.  The one here near downtown Huntsville is 33,500 sqft.

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

In quick research, the average new Publix is around 45,600 sf. The new 8th South store will be 39,000 sf., so at 26,000 sf this store will be comparatively small.

It’s all anyone really ever asked for in the core, just some urban-style grocery stores. They don’t need to be massive warehouses full of everything under the sun, just a grocery store so downtown residents and workers don’t have to drive 20 minutes to get a loaf of bread. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

It’s all anyone really ever asked for in the core, just some urban-style grocery stores. They don’t need to be massive warehouses full of everything under the sun, just a grocery store so downtown residents and workers don’t have to drive 20 minutes to get a loaf of bread. 

This store will be 1,000 sq feet larger than the Kroger on Blair, which is small but definitely has anything you might need. 

• Like 2

When the Blair Kroger was Harris Teeter I could fine 95% of what I was shopping for. Now that it's a Kroger, I can't find 50% of essentially the same things. I don't go nearly as often. 

I'm not trying to imply it will do badly. It will definitely be a hit. I often bought items at the downtown HG Hill, when I worked close by it.

Edited by Nash_12South

As a longtime downtown worker and former downtown resident, I've long scratched my head at the assertion that there are no grocery options in or near downtown.  The Kroger on Monroe Street is less than 1.5 miles from the 505 tower.  Hill's Urban Market, extremely well-designed to optimize its small space, is in the heart of downtown.  And Turnip Truck, with all of its organic and natural options, is in the Gulch.  Don't get me wrong; I'm excited about Publix and Whole Foods expanding the options, but acting like the only option currently is to drive 20 minutes doesn't hold water.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

As a longtime downtown worker and former downtown resident, I've long scratched my head at the assertion that there are no grocery options in or near downtown.  The Kroger on Monroe Street is less than 1.5 miles from the 505 tower.  Hill's Urban Market, extremely well-designed to optimize its small space, is in the heart of downtown.  And Turnip Truck, with all of its organic and natural options, is in the Gulch.  Don't get me wrong; I'm excited about Publix and Whole Foods expanding the options, but acting like the only option currently is to drive 20 minutes doesn't hold water.

During certain times of day it’ll take me 20-25 minutes to go from the Monroe St. Kroger to my office in Sobro. 

1 hour ago, subkyle said:

I’m a tad confused. The most recent article says the Publix is going to be at the corner of Charlotte and 11th (which I prefer). However I thought someone was saying it was on Charlotte next to the train tracks. Anybody know for sure?

Both. There’s train tracks right next to Charlotte and 11th, on a bridge crossing Charlotte a little east of the intersection. 

15 hours ago, subkyle said:

I’m a tad confused. The most recent article says the Publix is going to be at the corner of Charlotte and 11th (which I prefer). However I thought someone was saying it was on Charlotte next to the train tracks. Anybody know for sure?

The site plan on the Boyle website for Block D (I think that’s correct) shows the grocery on the end by the train tracks.

Edited by Edgefield D
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2018 at 10:16 AM, Nashville Cliff said:

I live within walking distance of the Monroe Kroger -- service is often poor, they don’t carry a lot of what I buy, and the parking lot can be scary some nights.  I do most of my shopping at Turnip Truck, but their prices are very high.  Haven’t been to Hill’s Urban Market yet, so thanks for the mention.  Hoping that the new Publix will stock more healthy products than middle of the store boxed stuff, but time will tell...  They will if they cater to areas like Germantown, the Gulch, and downtown.  

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 10:08 AM, Nash_12South said:

When the Blair Kroger was Harris Teeter I could fine 95% of what I was shopping for. Now that it's a Kroger, I can't find 50% of essentially the same things. I don't go nearly as often. 

I'm not trying to imply it will do badly. It will definitely be a hit. I often bought items at the downtown HG Hill, when I worked close by it.

So true.  We moved our prescriptions from there because we can only find half of our shopping list there.  However, I expect this new Publix could reach 100%!

Publix customer service is so much better than Kroger, but Kroger has more items cheaper than Publix. If I lived downtown Whole Foods would not even be an option. I really think they are more hype than anything as this is where you go to be seen shopping.

I have been in the Whole Foods in GH and its not a place I could shop. If you have the extra money then go for it.

• Like 3

Since Whole Foods Market was purchased by Amazon there have been significant price reductions.  If you are an Amazon Prime member and use the Whole Foods app when checking-out, the savings can be significant. Furthermore if you pay using an Amazon Prime Visa card, there are even further savings.  

Publix is much more expensive than Kroger any day and some of the price differences are HUGE.  

Kroger stores always seem to be dirty and poorly maintained however they do have some much better locations such as Green Hills, Brentwood, Melrose and Bellevue.  

• Like 1

It is amazing the reputation that stores gain and hold on to.  For instance I would MUCH rather drive to the Inglewood Kroger than the East Nashville Kroger at Gallatin & Eastland (I shop almost exclusively at Aldi recently though) just because of layout, comfort and overall feel of the store. After first moving down here, we tried Publix, but stopped after comparing prices and finding how there was more than a dollar difference in the price for a head of lettuce (an example). Whole Foods has never been within my budget. Groceries also tend to be that much more expensive in downtown cores for the mere fact its harder to deliver to them and the convenience factor.

I worked for a grocery store chain up north, designing their stores, and they went to great lengths to remove the stigma of how the stores appear and are experienced. I was actually paid to sit in the largest store and count the direction that people went with carts to see if the main entry needed to be changed in relation to store layout. I've actually had conversations with grad school advisers about how radically different certain developments would be if the grocery store tenant was different.

Think how different or how much "less" marketable 1200 Broadway would be if Kroger leased the space instead of a Whole Foods. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dxfret said:

Since Whole Foods Market was purchased by Amazon there have been significant price reductions.  If you are an Amazon Prime member and use the Whole Foods app when checking-out, the savings can be significant. Furthermore if you pay using an Amazon Prime Visa card, there are even further savings.  

Publix is much more expensive than Kroger any day and some of the price differences are HUGE.  

Kroger stores always seem to be dirty and poorly maintained however they do have some much better locations such as Green Hills, Brentwood, Melrose and Bellevue.  

Sprouts and Trader Joe's is the way to go, except that getting in and out of TJ's is beyond tolerance.  Sprouts' prices are very good, their sales can be outstanding, and service is great.  If I'm heading to Franklin, I take a cooler and ice so I can stop at Sprout's.  I would love to see one of these two downtown.  They would steal business from WF, Publix and Kroger.

• Like 1

I’ve never understood the big deal about Whole Foods. That being said, the one in Cool Springs is much better than the one in Green Hills. Like I don’t even bother checking the one in GH if I need something that can only be had at Whole Foods. I never saw what the hoopla about Trader Joe’s is about. I looooove sprouts. Never go to Publix, I just go to Kroger 95% of the time. Prices are good and the fuel points are awesome. 

• Like 1

I've never understood the public fawning over Publix.  It is a decent store, but overpriced.  Bad beer selection.  Very good bakery.  I don't find the customer service reps at the Donelson Publix any better than at my East Nashville Kroger, just . . . paler.  We divide our shopping fairly evenly between Aldi, Kroger, and the original Turnip Truck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kroger has earned its reputation for dreary stores and often disinterested staff. For me, Publix is worth the extra few dollars for its much more engaging staff and brighter stores. 

The Belle Meade Publix staff went out their way to look out for my aging mom, who had no need nor stamina to grocery shop as often as she did. I’ll always appreciate that.

We don't have Kroger. Always thought that was so strange as we're smack in the middle of three of their large markets. The Publix here are all new stores (<10 years) and moderately higher across the board (non sale) prices. You do need a strategy about what you buy there.  We haven't seen the furious growth you guys have, but we've seen a steady rise in Publix stores (a new 1 every 2 years).  They do extremely well here against FC, WalMart Neighborhood Mkts, & Aldi. 

Edited by MLBrumby