Capitol View Northwestern Mutual/HCA 32 acres of mixed use | UC

smeagolsfree

I like the design overall and the use of brick for the full vertical.     The red brick ties in with the former industrial neighborhood, including the Marathon complex on the other side of the interstate.    A glass box would be out of place here.    This is a great first step in the Capitol View development.   

Well, it meets the 'meh, good enough' standard in every category, and I do appreciate the fact that it appears that on all, or at least most sides, it is built right up to the street.  It is acceptable, though I was really hoping we would be wowed for once.  Oh well.  If the rest of the development matches this in quality then I'll be pleasantly surprised overall.

I really like it.  Yeah, it sort of looks like a hospital, but, well, it is Hospital Corporation of America.  This design could've been a lot worse.

I also like that it's going to be highly visible from I-40/65.  I'm guessing that's one of the reasons HCA chose this area.

I'm very, very curious to find out what the retail is going to be. I could see something like Knoxville's University Commons at this site. It's a Publix and Walmart built on top of a parking garage on a little sliver of land adjacent to U.T.  They're also incorporating a train depot in the development which will be home to a sight-seeing train for now and hopefully some commuter rail in the future. 

I also like the images posted above by PHofKS.  It would really be nice, though, to see streetcars on Charlotte instead of just automobiles.  Today State Farm unveiled renderings for its massive new office complex in Sandy Springs (Atlanta) and I couldn't help but notice how cool it was that they're incorporating a new MARTA station adjacent to its office complex, and it shows it in the renderings.  It would've been awesome to be able to show a streetcar stop right there on Charlotte in front of the new Parallon Tower.  Hopefully someday soon.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 1

Here are more of the images, with a site plan as well. I really like the retail, and the height is good. I really hope the surface parking lot that fronts Charlotte is temporary and will be developed in the near future.

A future 4 story 120 key hotel is slated for that lot.

• Like 2

This is such a large swath of land, this could be like Metro Center or Maryland Farms and take 30 years to fill out. The same with One City. Projects of this caliber and size take decades. It has taken Metro Center 40 years to get where it is now, and it took Cool Springs almost 40 years.

Green Hills, which I do not like, started 50 years ago.

Projects like this are generational, so I personally cannot get excited about a project that will develop way past my lifetime, that is why the buildings over 20 stories in the CBD, The Gulch, and Sobro get my attention because they make such a huge impact so fast.  That is why WES was such a disappointment. The impact those 2 or 3 towers could have had would have been extraordinary. In the years since 1998 when Palmer started this whole thing, one could have built a nice low rise office park on the site and blended it in with the hospital district in some way since they are so close to the Baptist Hospital Compex.

Edited by Urban Architecture

Looks very promising. With any luck, this will serve as an impetus for the state to finally do something with those awful parking lots between this site and the capitol!

The Church owns some of the adjacent land, but I was told by a member once who I worked with, their congregation is dwindling fast.

I liked the comparison to Green Hills actually...lol

I mean, we're talking about what...21 acres left after the 11 acres HCA purchased to develop? Comparing this to Metro Center or Cool Springs and thinking this would take decades to develop is kinda silly. Cool Springs and Metro Center are huge sprawling commercial centers....Capitol View is not. Totally different kind of animal we're talking about here, and I'm not sure how these could even be compared or talked about in the same sentence. 

For what it's worth, here is a quote from a recent article in the NP about the developments cost and timetable.  

Capitol View team envisions minimum of 6 years for mixed-use development

The North Gulch project now called Capitol View could carry a price tag of about $500 million and a build-out timetable of between six and 10 years, according to Jeff Haynes, the project’s local point man.

“If the economy in Nashville stays as healthy and vibrant as it is today, the project could be done in about six years. But if the economy slows, it could take 10 years.”

Link to article...http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/5...500m_price_tag