Capitol View Northwestern Mutual/HCA 32 acres of mixed use | UC

smeagolsfree

Video of Mayor Barry and Rich Riebeling (COO of Mayor's Office) in video after press inference today.  He mentions that in exchange for $3.5 million in infrastructure upgrades for the property, the Capitol View group is giving 2 acres of land to the city for a new park.  I think it's the triangular lot between the railroad tracks on the upper right of the rendering below.

http://www.tennessean.com/videos/news/2016/02/04/79826306/

Lifeway Capitol View layout, Feb. 2016.png

• Like 2

Glad Lifeway has solidified their plans.  The rendering of their HQ looks fine given the location and the company.  I don't think anyone was expecting a cutting edge out of a Christian book company.  

On a related note though, can I just say how sick and tired I am of those damned roof overhang things that seem to be on every other midrise building proposal these days?  It doesn't add anything to the look of the structure, and it's obvious that they're only there to trick some people into thinking that the design is more exciting and complex than it really is.  To me, it's just one of those trend based design elements that will look goofy and dated and a couple decades. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, claya91 said:

This doesn't have anything to do with Capital View but let's take a step back and think about Charlotte Ave and Jo Johnson then and now. Growing up my nanny used to tell me stories about her growing up on Jo Johnson Ave in the 30s and 40s before she worked her way out of poverty. It was arguably the most impoverished neighborhood in Nashville, so much so that she used "Jo Johnson" as an adjective to describe anything junky . If I didn't feel like putting my nice Sunday clothes before church I would hear "You look so Jo Johnson! Get back in there and put on your good dress shirt!". Now 10s of millions of dollars are inflowing into the neighborhood.

Ha-ha!.. "..look so Jo Johnston", eh" [or rather pronounced by close locals as "Jo-Jahns'n"]  Even though since some 50 years ago I have assumed that the street had been named in honor of General Joseph E. Johnston, a ranking Confederate officer in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War, I too acknowledge the urban, gritty, and "adventurous" connotation conferred Jo Johnston Avenue.  While it's not a very long street, say, like Troost Ave. a major ethnic division line in the heart of KCMO, or Pratt and Lombard Streets which pass through urban Baltimore, Jo Johnston Ave. perhaps inherited it's "favorable, upscale" reputation residually, from the 20th Century, particularly having been a major element within the Hell's Half Acre of substandard, dilapidated housing of the near North Capitol district, and mentioned in these thread pages from time to time.

I think perhaps way, way back in the day, I myself might have been unwittingly subjecting myself to appearing "Jo Johnston", although I was never told that I ever "acted" Jo Johnston (fortunately), the colloquial distinguishing of which I now find humorous and amusing.  I fortunately I never lived anywhere close to the Watkins Park District, through which Jo Johnston Ave. primarily passes. -==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

...And that's where I went to school for a time, on Jo Johnston at 17th (MLK, Jr. Magnet High in its premiere year) 30 years ago (yikes, where did the time go ?). Memories of having to walk from there up to Fisk and across to my father's office at Meharry. It was a bit more dodgy in those days, as the old projects (J. Henry Hale) was still there across the street (now since replaced by nicer digs).

One of my favorite aspects of the new Lifeway location is that it extends the development in North Gulch to where it virtually connects with Marathon Village, creating an active, walking streetscape all the way from there to the Gulch, Downtown, etc.  The park and greenway should also help connect the whole area into Hope Gardens, Bicentennial Mall, etc.  Very exciting.

• Like 2

Nice front page story in The Tennessean summarizing the LifeWay venture and how it all fits into the Capitol View master plan.  Among the info listed:

-LifeWay construction on the 2.7 acre site could start in early May and be complete by early 2018. It will include 250,000 sq. ft. for the primary tenant, 9,000 sq. ft. of restaurant/retail space on the ground floor facing Jo Johnston Ave., a conference center, and an internal parking garage.

-LifeWay will NOT receive any property tax discounts or tax-increment financing (TIF).  They will, however get $3.5 million in infrastructure upgrades for the land. 

-This is separate from the $215 million Phase 2 segment which will have its plans finalized by mid-April. The $90 million, 6-story, structure will be located directly to the east of the HCA building, at the NE corner of 11th and Charlotte.  It will include 60,000 sq.  ft. of ground-floor restaurant/retail, 50,000 sq.  ft. of second floor office space, 375 apartment units, and a 1,000 capacity internal parking garage.  They hope to break ground on this by sometime this summer.

Once LifeWay and Phase 2 are both underway, then Phase 3 will go into planning mode. It will be on the lot directly to the north of Phase 2, and portions will rise to 10 stories. Will feature 300,00 sq. ft. of Class A office space, 20,000 sq. ft. of ground floor restaurant/retail, a 150-room limited service hotel, and a 1,200 capacity internal garage. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/02/04/lifeways-move-seen-accelerating-capitol-view-plans/79823530/

47 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

One of my favorite aspects of the new Lifeway location is that it extends the development in North Gulch to where it virtually connects with Marathon Village, creating an active, walking streetscape all the way from there to the Gulch, Downtown, etc.  The park and greenway should also help connect the whole area into Hope Gardens, Bicentennial Mall, etc.  Very exciting.

Now if they can just get rid of those tacky lots of broken-down funeral hursts at 12th and JoJohnston, then this prospect will tend to confer an even more seamless appearance to that district ─ more of a crescent of revitalization, potentially extending to 16th Ave, from JoJohnston to the train tracks (including Clinton St.).

• Like 1

I'm glad the general opinion is that the Lifeway move will speed things up around Capitol View. The last thing we need is for Lifeway to take the lot way off in the corner and then for the land in between to become surface parking for the next decade...

24 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Low rise!!!

Obviously before the Parallon/SCRI decision to move there.  

Hopefully they can find another anchor to justify building a high-rise on the other parcel fronting Charlotte Avenue (across 11th Avenue). Would be a shame to waste the only other lot without Capitol-related height restrictions on another six-story building.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More from the Nashville Post today on the Terwilliger Pappas apartment development for the north end of Capitol View:

Charlotte-based Terwilliger Pappas Multifamily Partners will no longer develop a Music Row site and, instead, focus on a North Gulch development,Nashville Business Journal reports.

NBJ, citing multiple real estate sources, reports the company is focused on a 3.15-acre parcel with an address of 600 11th Ave. N. AT&T owns the property and has it under contract to sell to Charlotte-based real estate investor and apartment developer Terrence Llewellyn. Closing is expected to occur within the next few months or so, according to NBJ.

Previously, Terwilliger Pappas had received Metro approval to develop a 12-story, 200-unit apartment building on the northeast corner of 18th Avenue South and Chet Atkins Place. The building was to have been called Solis, with the company having the site under contract with a group with a SVN (Sperry Van Ness) connection.

It is unclear why that deal failed to materialize. However, a source who asked to go unnamed said Terwilliger Pappas could not land financing.

The AT&T site is located at the northeast corner of the intersection of  11th Avenue and Jo Johnston Street near the North Gulch property on which an office building for LifeWay Christian Resources will be constructed.

The site wraps from the north around to the east side of the planned LifeWay tower. 

Capitol View Terwilliger Pappas site.png

Capitol View Terwilliger site.png

Edited by markhollin

• dmillsphoto changed the title to Capitol View Northwestern Mutual/HCA 32 acres of mixed use | UC
  • 1 month later...

With Whole Foods off the table, Capitol View would be a solid location for Nashville's second Trader Joe's now that our wine laws are more conducive to them expanding more in Tennessee. They could also go after Publix for Capitol View if the plan for the Demonbreun Hill development including one is some time away or falls through. 

• Like 2

On 5/6/2016 at 4:48 PM, ariesjow said:

With Whole Foods off the table, Capitol View would be a solid location for Nashville's second Trader Joe's now that our wine laws are more conducive to them expanding more in Tennessee. They could also go after Publix for Capitol View if the plan for the Demonbreun Hill development including one is some time away or falls through. 

I could see TJ's, but what about something like a mini-Target? With Whole Foods covering a lot of food related items, I think a store with more general variety would be welcome for DT residents. Or.....why not have both??

• Like 4

On 5/6/2016 at 4:48 PM, ariesjow said:

Since they flipped that site I assumed the Demonbreun Publix thing had already fallen through.

Solis Apartments (6 stories, 271 units, $64 million) being developed by Terwilliger Pappas is set for the northern edge of Capitol View.  Located at 600 11th Avenue North.  Construction to start in next 30 days. Portions will be open by late 2017

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/05/16/first-look-64-million-solis-north-gulch-apartments/84437884/

Solis.JPG

Solis 2.png

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 1