Capitol View Northwestern Mutual/HCA 32 acres of mixed use | UC

smeagolsfree

This could be better than the wes end summit deal in the long run ,

west end is already developing on is own without the Summit,

HCA moving to the core of the city can only help jumpstart development on Church st, Germantown and bring more office, and retail,

And if Alex Palmer can still pull of West End Summit, That will only add !!

• Like 2

This could be better than the wes end summit deal in the long run ,

west end is already developing on is own without the Summit,

HCA moving to the core of the city can only help jumpstart development on Church st, Germantown and bring more office, and retail,

And if Alex Palmer can still pull of West End Summit, That will only add !!

This is what I have been thinking. The Palmer site is going to be developed regardless eventually and is already in a fast growing area. I imagine whatever gets built there will have some height to it. The NW Mutual site however I think has more potential to activate a whole different sector of the city and stretch the skyline in a new direction. The design could always disappoint but I'm cautiously excited about the potential of the new site. 

• Like 1

First time posting to Urban Planet, but I have been viewing for years now. Let's go ahaead and get the name right on this development. It is Capitol View and not Capital View. Do not want to come across as a grammar freak on my first post but since this will likely continue to be one of the most viewed topics on the Planet, thought we ought to call it right. After typing this however, Capital View might be appropiate for this topic. .

• Like 2

First time posting to Urban Planet, but I have been viewing for years now. Let's go ahaead and get the name right on this development. It is Capitol View and not Capital View. Do not want to come across as a grammar freak on my first post but since this will likely continue to be one of the most viewed topics on the Planet, thought we ought to call it right. After typing this however, Capital View might be appropiate for this topic. .

Good catch! I am somewhat of a grammar freak myself. Although, I find my grammar skills declining by the day. Unfortunately, typing just doesn't have the same effect as the act of writing words down on a piece of paper with a pen or pencil. I try to reread things several times before clicking that post button. Good thing most have editing options! I am a stickler for your, you're, there, their, they're, etc. However, I do catch myself using the wrong form occasionally.

BTW, you have "ahaead" and "appropiate"  :P .

I am aware of beginning discussions from a reliable source with NW-Mutual, that the developer is seeking State approval to build a connctor road through the current  State parking lots fronting James Robertson Parkway allowing for an ingress/egress into Jo Johnston Avenue. In exchange the developer would buid a parking garage in the currently undeveloped tract of land bound by the Railroad tracks and 10th Avenue North from Jo Johnston to Gay Street. This would be for State usage to compensate for the lost parking spaces created by the connector road. This is only in preliminary discussion but would be a major access to the development from JRP. Since more paprking spaces would be gained than lost by the State, they should be favorable to this request.

The area is governed by the downtown code. It is specified as the Gulch North subdistrict, except for the parcels fronting Charlotte Avenue, which are Gulch South. The standard max height for buildings in this subdistrict is 7 stories. Bonus height is available for the standard list of niceties up to 10 stories below 560' elevation. The regulations specify that buildings should be set back no more than 10 feet from the sidewalk. Parking is supposed to be contained behind buildings.

The max height for the Gulch south parts of the property are 10 stories, with a required 15' step back after seven stories. A maximum of 16 stories is allowed for the Charlotte Ave Gulch South properties.

Ok found where I read about the restrictions, it was in this thread on the first page.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe we'll see some height on these buildings, after all. From a link posted on the Gulch discussion Topic, regarding Metro regulations for building in the Gulch;

http://thegulchinnas...own4Gulches.pdf

they state... (emphasis mine)....

Goals and Objectives for the north Gulch neighborhood subdistricts..........

1.2 To ensure the preservation of views of Capitol Hill, for properties north of Charlotte Avenue, building heights shall be a minimum of 45 feet at the street, but shall not exceed 105 feet at the street.  At 105 feet, a sky exposure plane of one foot horizontal to one and one half foot vertical shall apply to achieve an overall elevation height of no more than 560 feet (the base of the Capitol building).  See Figure 6.

Edited by PHofKS

..or...as it just occurred to me, they mean by elevation height, the elevation above sea level!! With the general elevation of the NWM lot being about 420' according to Google Earth and the elevation of the State Capitol at 560' any buildings would  be restricted to 140' +/-, about nine or ten floors.

Sorry for the confusion above, but at least I know what the limits are, now.

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 1

Right... I recall hearing that the Bicentennial Park was put where it is so that the Capitol will always be visible at a distance after new buildings around it exceed its height.   Of course, I don't recall who said it, but I usually don't give too much credence to just hearsay. 

• 4 weeks later...

What do you mean "guerrilla" approach?   I hear that and suddenly become concerned that we'll be seeing acres of parking lots and suburban boxes with lots of trees to simulate a "country atmosphere"... a'la Brentfranksprings. Boyle may not know better! They seem to like to repeat the same formula of their Meridian project.  Is NWM guiding the development, or Boyle?   Anyone seen their development out at Berry Farms lately? 

I think most of us on this board knew the HCA buildings were going to be shorties.  The buildings are going to be 10 and 14 stories.  The overall development is very impressive though.  I have the full site plan but not the permission to post it.  This is not going to be a Market Street type guerrilla approach to building an urban neighborhood, NWM has the cheddar to change the game as far as urban Nashville is concerned.  Exciting stuff.

Cool.

I'm fine with 10 and 14 stories. I think 20 would be great, but I think we all knew that wouldn't be the case on that particular site. And I'll take 10 & 14 over 5 & 7 any day (for offices, at least).

Without putting any pressure on you, I have a few questions (if you can answer them):

-When will, or when do you think the rendering will be made public?

-Is there a definite timeline as far as the start of construction goes?

-Is there any green/open space included in this plan, and if so, roughly how much?

• Like 2

By guerrilla I mean building one building every other year, painstakingly slow. I'm just saying they have a blank slate and the money to build a large cohesive development. The development is going to be very urban.

YAY!!  Great news!!!  Thank you for sharing!  I too don't mind the 10-14 floor range as long as the plan is not a waste, which it sound like it isn't.  Agreed, most of us probably were expecting that range for the HCA buildings.  I'd like 20 but with them wanting "separate identities" it makes sense.

This is actually better than I had hoped for. With 11 acres, it could have been a lot worse. I just hope there is not a lot of surface parking.

I hear you on that, but if there is a decent amount of surface parking, hopefully the planning team orients that parking in a way that will allow it to be built on or developed in the future (not directly in the middle of the property, which is probably most likely if there is a size-able amount of surface parking).  I have a lot of faith though, keep in mind they were flirting with Palmer for a while rather than heading out to an office park. They'll do this right. 

• Like 1