Capitol View Northwestern Mutual/HCA 32 acres of mixed use | UC

smeagolsfree

I hear you on that, but if there is a decent amount of surface parking, hopefully the planning team orients that parking in a way that will allow it to be built on or developed in the future (not directly in the middle of the property, which is probably most likely if there is a size-able amount of surface parking).  I have a lot of faith though, keep in mind they were flirting with Palmer for a while rather than heading out to an office park. They'll do this right. 

Hopefully they will do this right!

I'm guessing you haven't been up there since they've built the apartments on the edges.  The point is that it looks very much like all of those suburban town center complexes up there and outside Atlanta that's a dead ringer for that rendering.  And that open space (?)... I mean does downtown need more open space? 

Edited by MLBrumby

I'm guessing you haven't been up there since they've built the apartments on the edges.  The point is that it looks very much like all of those suburban town center complexes up there and outside Atlanta that's a dead ringer for that rendering. 

I have been up there multiple times, and no, it does not come close to resembling that rendering.

PropertyID17473-24766.jpg

I'm sure there are some comparable suburban mixed use developments that might resemble the original North Gulch rendering, but don't  be ridiculous and suggest it is anything in the same ballpark as Streets of Indian Lake....and if you want to include the ancillary development to Streets, then the argument goes further downhill, because of the winding boulevard with setbacks, street-facing surface parking, and a number of strip centers and stand alone big box stores.

That's not a recent photo... there are apartments right behind the theater now and office buildings behind them. The overpass over 386 has been widened to five lanes too. And there are retail buildings opposite Indian Lake Road.  I was just up there a few weeks ago. It's way built up since that photo, but you've missed the point, which is I don't think either one of them is urban, or my definition of it anyway. I simply do not think that the camouflaged parking "trick" behind a facade of retail really looks urban to me. Though it might to you, UT.  

Edited by MLBrumby

That's not a recent photo... there are apartments right behind the theater now and office buildings behind them. The overpass over 386 has been widened to five lanes too. And there are retail buildings opposite Indian Lake Road.  I was just up there a few weeks ago. It's way built up since that photo, but you've missed the point, which is I don't think either one of them is urban, or my definition of it anyway. I simply do not think that the camouflaged parking "trick" behind a facade of retail really looks urban to me. Though it might to you, UT.  

I already said, if you want to include the other developments, then your argument goes downhill fast. I don't know how I can say this any clearer. It. Is. Not. Even. Close. To. The. Same. I can understand if the early proposal is not up to your liking as far as urban development goes, and FWIW, I agree with that. But what is shown above in the Gulch rendering is ~22 acres...Streets sprawls over 250 acres, and honestly quite a bit of it could be compacted into the above rendering, save for the big box stores and some of the apartments.

Since that is 1-2 years away and 3-4 years away from completion, there are a lot of immediate projects to look forward to like the HGI being completed on Almond Street. We also have Gulch Crossings.

If the Sobro and The Childress Klein Building do indeed start, it will be exciting times.

• 2 weeks later...

Even in California (the freeway capitol of the world), billboards are few and far between. It's amazing how much it can affect you psyche. I'm not kidding, it really is. That was one of the "huuhhhh ummm" moments for me when I moved back. "oh yeah.........that".

If I ever come into a position of power, my number one goal would be to banish those things. Who cares about sky scrapers when you cant even see them from 4 blocks away due to all the adds.

Edited by nashvillwill

It seems a bit odd to me how much different the response/attitude is toward advertising on billboards along the highway and giant urban advertising in situations such as NYC's Times Square.  In the latter, it is considered iconic and amazing...along I-40 it is considered an eyesore.  (I share those divergent attitudes, just verbalizing them makes me ponder the question "why?")

• Like 1