Waters Building to add Hilton Homewood Suites/market-rate apartments

joeDowntown

This is a big chunk of office space evaporating.   Is it just that the Waters Building couldn't compete with the downtown market?  I know Arena Place has office space,  but is the demand for such office space still pretty low?   I feel like downtown will truly be healthy when more office firms and retail begin firmly taking hold,  and it just doesn't seem to be quite at that point yet.   Thoughts?

It could not compete.  It had vast amounts of unused interior space and was always awkward for offices.  Its major benefit is that it was cheap.  Without someone willing to pay half a million a year to park 300-400 employees, or massive renovations, Waters was never going to have great occupancy.  The odds of finding that huge tenant were probably a bit low, so they looked elsewhere.  Still, they're doing massive renovations for the hotel, so it will be interesting to see whether it was a good choice.  How they handle the second floor hotel lobby should be interesting. I've often found such hotels a bit awkward.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could not compete.  It had vast amounts of unused interior space and was always awkward for offices.  Its major benefit is that it was cheap.  Without someone willing to pay half a million a year to park 300-400 employees, or massive renovations, Waters was never going to have great occupancy.  The odds of finding that huge tenant were probably a bit low, so they looked elsewhere.  Still, they're doing massive renovations for the hotel, so it will be interesting to see whether it was a good choice.  How they handle the second floor hotel lobby should be interesting. I've often found such hotels a bit awkward.

Scratch my earlier post. The hotel lobby will take up the existing 1st and 2nd floor existing lobbies (two story hotel lobby). The elevator lobbies from floor 3 and up are going to be completly demolished (hence the reason they are able to get a skylight in above the hotel lobby). Looks like a pool may go in where the cafe used to be?

Here's a cross section looking West. The South section in blue to the left is the hotel, the two orange sections on the right on the top two floors are residential. The rest is office.

If green indicates hotel lobby, then it looks like the main entrance will be off of Lyon? Although most guests will probably arrive via the parking garage. I'll see if I can get ahold of the floorplans.

15348699878_427e8d310a_c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Staying at a Courtyard Marriott in Denver and it completely reminds me of the Waters Building (and the fact that the hotel will probably do well). This building is much smaller, but has the same vibe:

exterior.jpg

Joe

I agree, I think it's a cool idea. Just need some more attractions in downtown GR (river and riverfront development for instance) to draw more visitors.

Lyon and Ottawa, mixed use with some national retail tenants. Going back to old school development ideas..

I agree, I think it's a cool idea. Just need some more attractions in downtown GR (river and riverfront development for instance) to draw more visitors.

Lyon and Ottawa, mixed use with some national retail tenants. Going back to old school development ideas..

I agree that the Ellis lot needs to be developed.  It would be great to see a tower there, but realistically a building more in scale with what was there before, might be more feasible.  5 to 10 floors, with underground parking, mixed use.

I agree that the Ellis lot needs to be developed.  It would be great to see a tower there, but realistically a building more in scale with what was there before, might be more feasible.  5 to 10 floors, with underground parking, mixed use.

Space Needle Grand Rapids.  See the lake shore.  On a clear day you might even see Lansing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I think this will be a nice addition. The funny thing about this article: a) they are already building the rooftop deck b) I sure hope the developers aren't still negotiating on whether they will move in. It seems awfully far along in the process to pull out if they didn't get a rooftop deck. :)

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

I go by this building every day and was wondering if anyone has heard if they will be replacing the windows? There are a lot of 'windows' that are actually vents now. I'm sure they could easily replace vents with glass, just wondering how much they are changing on the outside. I don't think they've ever released a rendering of what it will look like when down (new entrances, etc). 

Joe

I go by this building every day and was wondering if anyone has heard if they will be replacing the windows? There are a lot of 'windows' that are actually vents now. I'm sure they could easily replace vents with glass, just wondering how much they are changing on the outside. I don't think they've ever released a rendering of what it will look like when down (new entrances, etc). 

I don't think there will be many exterior changes to the outside other than the large room being placed on the top.  It's pretty big, and I'm not entirely sure what it's for. Elevators?  Part of the rooftop bar?  I don't think you can see it from the street, though.  I would be surprised if they replace all of the windows since most were not in a state of failure.  The vents are for the individual unit HVAC that was installed in many of the larger units.  From what I understand, they have had to replace virtually the entire HVAC for the building, so it is possible that at least some of the vent grates could disappear.  

Found this on Homewood Suites GR Facebook page-

This weeks update on the renovation process:

• Progress

o 5th floor finished demoing atrium floor
o 5th floor masonry restoration
o 5th floor grinding wood floors
o 4th floor repairing West elevation window openings
o 3rd floor repairing West elevation window openings
o 3rd floor demo continue
o Poured elevator pit walls and stair foundation
o Areaway work on Pearl continued

• Next week look ahead

o 6th floor frame in skylights
o 5th floor ceiling grid in guestrooms continue
o 4th floor begin hanging drywall
o 4th floor continue West elevation window masonry repairs
o 3rd floor continue West elevation window masonry repairs
o 3rd floor demo finish
o 2nd floor demo start
o Demo stair/elevator shafts 2nd floor on up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some nice shots in this article of the apartments going into the Waters Building - Rents between $1150 and $2390 per month / no parking. I wonder with a couple of these large apartment buildings coming on sans parking, if that creates more demand for a pharmacy / grocery, etc. Seems like we're getting close to that tipping point. 

One of the most interesting facts in the interview- the apartments are on the fifth and sixth floors. The fifth floor is original (1898) while the sixth floor was an addition to add exhibition space (1899). Now that is growth! :)

-bcd71b29ec7f8b84.JPG

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/10/new_loft-style_apartments_refl.html#incart_river_home

Joe

Some nice shots in this article of the apartments going into the Waters Building - Rents between $1150 and $2390 per month / no parking. I wonder with a couple of these large apartment buildings coming on sans parking, if that creates more demand for a pharmacy / grocery, etc. Seems like we're getting close to that tipping point. 

One of the most interesting facts in the interview- the apartments are on the fifth and sixth floors. The fifth floor is original (1898) while the sixth floor was an addition to add exhibition space (1899). Now that is growth! :)

-bcd71b29ec7f8b84.JPG

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/10/new_loft-style_apartments_refl.html#incart_river_home

Joe

The split levels are pretty cool. I guess I forgot that they were doing apartments in here too. Anyone put together a list of all the new apartments coming online in the next few years? 

Reminds me too that I forgot to post the rest of the Morton House pics I took. 

I am shocked a Walgreens/Rite Aid/CVS does not have a downtown location as well as a 7eleven even though they pulled out of this market

It does seem odd.  I think CVS was apart of a Rockford Construction plan at what is now the UICA/Gallery Apts, but Rockford did not win the project.  CVS however, wanted a drive thru window there!!!  I don't know what the critical mass is for a full service pharmacy, but if downtown is not there yet, it has to very close. I hate to say this, but the Morton "bank" space might be a good spot for a full service pharmacy. Central location, and I think it a big enough space.  The Chew/Fulton spot would work too, if it ever gets off the ground. 

With regard to parking, how about a Dash spot?  Only 30 bucks a month.   If you have a Dash spot, you can use that 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, correct?  That might be a option for some people.

Archived