Waters Building to add Hilton Homewood Suites/market-rate apartments

joeDowntown

Really interesting discovery while wandering around AP yesterday afternoon: there's a really cool bar/lounge on the second floor of this building, as part of the hotel. It overlooks the new lobby and it has a cool view out the front looking right onto the Warner Tower site. Only problem: it's only open to hotel guests. Same with the rooftop bar/lounge, only open to hotel guests. I can't think of a hotel in any city I've stayed where the restaurant lounge was only open to hotel guests. Needless to say the bartender in the 2nd floor lounge was a very lonely guy yesterday, and he even said he'd serve me if I wanted something (that he'd make an exception). I declined. 

But seriously, WTF Homewood Suites? If they're worried about non-guests roaming the floors where rooms are, then have a keycard that gives you access to the room cards and let the public go up to the rooftop lounge. Most city hotels with rooftop bars/decks or top floor restaurants heavily advertise to the public in local city guides. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Really interesting discovery while wandering around AP yesterday afternoon: there's a really cool bar/lounge on the second floor of this building, as part of the hotel. It overlooks the new lobby and it has a cool view out the front looking right onto the Warner Tower site. Only problem: it's only open to hotel guests. Same with the rooftop bar/lounge, only open to hotel guests. I can't think of a hotel in any city I've stayed where the restaurant lounge was only open to hotel guests. Needless to say the bartender in the 2nd floor lounge was a very lonely guy yesterday, and he even said he'd serve me if I wanted something (that he'd make an exception). I declined. 

But seriously, WTF Homewood Suites? If they're worried about non-guests roaming the floors where rooms are, then have a keycard that gives you access to the room cards and let the public go up to the rooftop lounge. Most city hotels with rooftop bars/decks or top floor restaurants heavily advertise to the public in local city guides. 

You think that is crazy.  We stayed at the Homewood Suites last year when we brought a bunch of Chicago friends to AP.   The crazy rooftop bar was closed when we tried to access it one night at about 11pm.  What kind of bar is closed at 11pm??   

4 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

You think that is crazy.  We stayed at the Homewood Suites last year when we brought a bunch of Chicago friends to AP.   The crazy rooftop bar was closed when we tried to access it one night at about 11pm.  What kind of bar is closed at 11pm??   

Wow.

It was closed because no one in the the hotel probably knows it's there and it's not open to the public, so it was not busy enough to keep staffed. Bonehead move on their part. I wonder what the thought process is on that? If Cygnus which is on the top floor of arguably the most prestigious hotel downtown, is open to the public...

It's not like you're going to get a bunch of ass-clowns up there. You still have to walk right past the front deck to get to the elevators, and any potential trouble-makers could be halted. Plus, groups or private parties going there for happy hour or what not might say "Hey, this place is really cool, I'll check it out for my next staycation or whatever." 

5 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Wow.

It was closed because no one in the the hotel probably knows it's there and it's not open to the public, so it was not busy enough to keep staffed. Bonehead move on their part. I wonder what the thought process is on that? If Cygnus which is on the top floor of arguably the most prestigious hotel downtown, is open to the public...

Not true I've been up there several times now and have never been a guest. 

3 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

Not true I've been up there several times now and have never been a guest. 

The official policy is that it's for hotel guests only, and I tried to go up to the "R" floor in the elevator after reading a yelp review and it won't let you go up. Says you have to have a key swipe card. I then called and they confirmed "hotel guests only." 

Whether you can sneak up there after AP is over remains to be seen, but if you're meeting people there, what if some of the people don't "sneak through?" Why not just make it open to the public? 

On 9/28/2017 at 9:00 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Whether you can sneak up there after AP is over remains to be seen, but if you're meeting people there, what if some of the people don't "sneak through?" Why not just make it open to the public? 

Homewood Suites is a very exclusive place.  Wouldn't want the commoners mucking up the place.  :P

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived