The Water Campus

dan326

5 hours ago, cajun said:

So what you are saying is that it is typical modernist trash?  

LOL! I mean, I wouldn't even be talking about it but that's not what we were "sold" 

I will say though that one thing I like about the new downtown library is that it looks like it'll be big. 

• 3 weeks later...

Besides the  City Dock that is under construction on the river ....the 4-story? CPRA(Coastal Protection & Restoration Authority) Bldg is completed....& The building that houses the Mississippi River simulated model i think.....

http://thewatercampus.org/about-the-water-campus/key-tenants

Residential is supposed to be in the works...hadn't heard when that will begin...maybe once the Nicholson Gateway & River House projects are completed soon??

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...

This is some cool stuff...need to go check out the new model of the Mighty Mississippi River :shades: Just wish it went further north to BR

Giant model of lower Mississippi River takes shape at new research facility

Researchers studying proposed sediment diversions on the Mississippi River will have a giant new tool soon, a 90 x 120 foot physical model of the river and the delta it built.

"179 miles of river, from Donaldsonville to the Gulf of Mexico," said Rudy Simoneaux, Project Manager for the Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority.The new Center for River Studies in Baton Rouge houses the Lower Mississippi River Physical Model, which CPRA calls "state of the art."

The state's coastal master plan envisions large projects to deliver fresh water and sediment into areas of marsh and shallow bays. Engineering work is already underway on the Mid-Barataria Sediment Diversion project planned for the Myrtle Grove area on the west bank of Plaquemines Parish.

In this age of sophisticated computer modeling, the physical model is designed to supplement research. "The last thing we want to do is build a billion-dollar project in the wrong location," Simoneaux said. The diversions are planned along bends in the river where natural sand bars build up over time.

"The model doesn't so much focus on how much land we'll build, but how does the river extract sediment from its bed,"

*Rest of article & Video included

http://www.fox8live.com/story/35976870/giant-model-of-lower-mississippi-river-takes-shape-at-new-research-facility

14484062_G.jpg

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cajun said:

Really isn't as bad as I thought it would be.   I sort of like it, although I wish they would refurbish the old dock and improve the landscaping on the batture between the bridge and the pier itself.   

I believe that's part of the plan. They are going to be turning this into a new city dock with a ferry that goes to Port Allen apparently. Landscaping and such I imagine will also be done. All in all, when this is done, it'll look nice. 

22 hours ago, mr. bernham said:

I believe that's part of the plan. They are going to be turning this into a new city dock with a ferry that goes to Port Allen apparently. Landscaping and such I imagine will also be done. All in all, when this is done, it'll look nice. 

I guess it will be a pedestrian ferry?   

That must be in the very distant future.   Seems like a pedestrian ferry would be better docked near the paperclip.   The development of something like that would have to be partnered with Port Allen so they can set up some kind of transit-oriented development on their side.

3 hours ago, cajun said:

I guess it will be a pedestrian ferry?   

That must be in the very distant future.   Seems like a pedestrian ferry would be better docked near the paperclip.   The development of something like that would have to be partnered with Port Allen so they can set up some kind of transit-oriented development on their side.

I think it's more a long-term idea. The plan I think is to build up the infrastructure on our side so that it could happen at some undetermined point.  

It was my understanding that one of the 3-4 story mixed use buildings planned for Brickyard Lane in the Water District was going to start construction this year.   Does anyone know which Water Campus building will be built next?  

On 8/9/2017 at 11:18 PM, mr. bernham said:

I think it's more a long-term idea. The plan I think is to build up the infrastructure on our side so that it could happen at some undetermined point.  

Maybe we can get another museum ship to dock there.    A tugboat would be cool to see as well as an old Cape class Coast Guard cutter.  

I am sure there is a decommissioned Kidd-class destroyer that we haven't sold to China yet too (Not to be confused with the USS Kidd, which is a Fletcher class destroyer).   

Having the USS Kidd in Baton Rouge is really cool.  

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2017 at 11:02 AM, cajun said:

It was my understanding that one of the 3-4 story mixed use buildings planned for Brickyard Lane in the Water District was going to start construction this year.   Does anyone know which Water Campus building will be built next?  

Looks like this could be next building....hard to tell by looking at this rendering that Apartment Lofts & Offices will share the same 4-story building?  OR  they plan on doing  TWO SEPARATE 4-story Buildings???      Also Construction of Water Street, the campus’ main road that will go from River Road to Nicholson Drive, will begin soon.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/collaborative-workspaces-apartments-coming-water-campus

image.thumb.png.5f41fc43ab01734285a3b34e21bc554b.png

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2017 at 9:53 PM, richyb83 said:

Looks like this could be next building....hard to tell by looking at this rendering that Apartment Lofts & Offices will share the same 4-story building?  OR  they plan on doing  TWO SEPARATE 4-story Buildings???      Also Construction of Water Street, the campus’ main road that will go from River Road to Nicholson Drive, will begin soon.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/collaborative-workspaces-apartments-coming-water-campus

image.thumb.png.5f41fc43ab01734285a3b34e21bc554b.png

Cool looking building, and it will be very visible.     The article points out that the office building and lofts are separate buildings.  

The city/parish needs to invest heavily in that neighborhood as well as the corridor along  Terrace to I-10 from the Water Campus.    Those buildings would be fantastic for signature tenants for regional companies.   Their brands  on those buildings would essentially be a giant billboard similar to Louis-Dreyfus on the west side.   

We won't get Amazon, but that Water Campus is an ideal place for a mid sized corporate office or regional branch office.   Hopefully they are not marketing that space to only engineering and research firms.

I'm honestly trying to advocate for Baton Rouge at my company.   We are thinking about a branch office on the gulf coast.    It's going to be Houston though.  :(

Were you referring to Water Street or Brickyard Street?   I think Water Street requires the destruction of a warehouse along Nicholson.    I believe that the building under construction is building 6A (which is in the renderings on the article).   Building 8A will start immediately after, and it includes lofts.    You can see the rendering on their website.    It's a smallish 4 story building that almost looks like a boutique hotel.  

On 10/4/2017 at 6:58 PM, Antrell Williams said:

I was driving down River Rd the other night and it's really nice to see our skyline lit up from there. There's not many places where you can see our skyline like that whole driving up to it.
Also I thought Riverside towing was moving, I hate that place.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

wouldn't be upset if Riverside Towing burned down in a mysterious blaze (obviously not wanting anyone to get hurt) .   It's the place of pure evil and it is on what will become prime real estate.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Houston of course...BR just gets the bread crumbs.:rolleyes:

Nice breakdown Cajun...guessing they will demolish the Prison Enterprises Bldg.  but keep 1010 Nic (to the north). Water Street will run East/West & intersect w Brickyard Lane (North/South) at Main Square.

image.thumb.png.c4c78553aa1ac4b95c7b6dd8de042c35.png

I'd like to see a similar Mixed-use bldg. like this  as the North anchor (taller building shown in rendering near bridge/Office only?) If not there...over in the CBD on Laurel Street at Fifth; where the proposed Laurel Street Tower never happened.

image.png.011a7c0245e39f0b9d25c2a5c323107c.png

• Like 1

On 10/24/2017 at 10:15 PM, richyb83 said:

Houston of course...BR just gets the bread crumbs.:rolleyes:

Nice breakdown Cajun...guessing they will demolish the Prison Enterprises Bldg.  but keep 1010 Nic (to the north). Water Street will run East/West & intersect w Brickyard Lane (North/South) at Main Square.

image.thumb.png.c4c78553aa1ac4b95c7b6dd8de042c35.png

I'd like to see a similar Mixed-use bldg. like this  as the North anchor (taller building shown in rendering near bridge/Office only?) If not there...over in the CBD on Laurel Street at Fifth; where the proposed Laurel Street Tower never happened.

image.png.011a7c0245e39f0b9d25c2a5c323107c.png

IMHO, anything that size being built at the water campus will be purpose built for an office tenant.....or it will be a mid to higher range hotel with event space, such as a Sheraton or Westin.   I wouldn't want to actually live that close to I-10 (Building 1A on the map).

I can't overstate how valuable office space that close to the freeway would be to local companies if they can be the signature tenant with their branding on the building.   I could definitely see office users like Lamar, Community Coffees, or Turner Industries consolidating into a high profile space like that.   There aren't really any other opportunities for an ultra-modern office building with that much visibility. 

Of course the building would have to be pretty darn eye catching and modern.   The deck is about 3 stories high at Nicholson and probably more than twice that at the crest of the bridge.    Something 8-10 floors at that spot would be very difficult to miss for about 220,000 cars every day.   The tenant branding would be in their face at that level.   12-15 would be even better especially with the right architectural features.   This is definitely one of those situations where the larger and nicer the building appears, the easier it will be to attract long term tenants.

If they can get an office like that built and at least 50% filled, another larger hotel wouldn't be very difficult to attract to the immediate area.   Larger companies almost always depend on consultants for various corporate projects that virtually guarantee a steady stream of business and tech people that need hotel rooms during the week.   

And you are correct....they did tear down the building immediately across from the Louisiana Sheriff's Association building.   They are already starting layout work for Water Street.

Edited by cajun

• 1 month later...

Baton Rouge opens international water research hub

Baton Rouge will be a hub for water research on the Louisiana coast and worldwide from Texas to the Vietnam's Mekong Delta, authorities said Tuesday before opening the Center for Coastal and Deltaic Solutions on the Water Campus.

The 34,000-square-foot building sits on the Mississippi River just south of downtown by the old Municipal Dock.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/environment/article_60184940-df67-11e7-adf6-07debb728ea9.html

image.thumb.png.476ae6513f47cf4cf9529d3504fa85d0.png

image.thumb.png.b15b0211f6a3adf457146615158f9e29.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...