The Water Campus

dan326

(Coming from River Park thread)...o suggest that a campus like WC should be in Mid-City. If they are going to do any school dedicated to the study of rivers and deltas, they picked a very good place to grow it. Unless there is a river going through Mid-city to compete with

Edited by ehyfield

(Coming from River Park thread)...o suggest that a campus like WC should be in Mid-City. If they are going to do any school dedicated to the study of rivers and deltas, they picked a very good place to grow it. Unless there is a river going through Mid-city to compete with

They have BRCC...it could be a neat campus if it had more funding.

Right on cue! ;)

Water Campus lining up funding sources, director says

The state's premier water researchers are a step closer to moving into their new home at the massive Water Campus downtown development, Chip Groat, director of The Water Institute of the Gulf, told the Baton Rouge Press Club this afternoon. Construction on the complex's first building, which will house LSU's working model of the lower Mississippi River, is slated to begin later this year. Two buildings with offices for the institute and the Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority will get underway next year. Together, the three buildings will carry a nearly $50 million price tag, to be paid for, in part, by the state's various coastal funds. But the institute can give back, Groat said. The institute aims to be a part of a new economic sector that exports coastal knowledge.

It already has partnerships with similar organizations that study the Mekong delta in Vietnam and coastal Netherlands. The institute is also preparing for an infusion of funding thanks to Clean Water Act fines resulting from the $1 billion Transocean settlement after the 2010 BP oil spill. According to the RESTORE Act, federal legislation that governs how settlement money is to be allocated, 2.5% of money going to states is to be spent on research institutions. Along with collaborating universities, the Water Institute is clearly set to receive Louisiana's portion of those funds. As for other sources of revenue, Groat said his organization hasn't been accused of being influenced by outside contributors and will maintain its standard of scientific independence. Researchers that produce work on the state's controversial diversion projects that would reroute sediment and water from the Mississippi River into the state's wetlands will have "no dog in the fight," according to Groat. Plus researchers won't be allowed to take part in any diversion design work with the state for two years after their work with the institute is complete. For more on the Water Campus, read a Business Report cover story from December. —Kelly Connelly

http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportPM&date=20140825

• Like 1

This is a great location for it, not only is it on the river but it's also along the proposed BRT/light-rail line and in between two hot neighborhoods, just furthering South Baton Rouge along for gentrification. It should have a similar effect to the new hospitals in Mid-City New Orleans and the effect it is having along the Tulane Ave corridor.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on who the next Governor is, there's a good chance Water Campus will fall victim to New Orleans political interest like so many other things. As an earlier poster said, this will come and go with the direction of the political winds.

It looks like an awesome project and I sincerely hope it improves LSU's research clout and impacts Baton Rouge positively. That is the most important goal.....not the height or layout of the buildings as fun as those are to discuss.

• Like 2

Depending on who the next Governor is, there's a good chance Water Campus will fall victim to New Orleans political interest like so many other things. As an earlier poster said, this will come and go with the direction of the political winds.

It looks like an awesome project and I sincerely hope it improves LSU's research clout and impacts Baton Rouge positively. That is the most important goal.....not the height or layout of the buildings as fun as those are to discuss.

Well we all know/have a feeling that Vitter will be...I doubt a Democrat will come to power especially with Mary loosing support. 

BR should be firmly entrenched as the player for this  world-class research facility; being easily accessible to the State Capitol Park Complex and LSU. In the 70's 80's or 90's NOLA probably would have had this fall into their laps...but it's a new day now post Katrina.  BR is the perfect location far enough inland(90 miles) from the coast.

Of course the new large buildings are just lagniappe...when people from out of town/state are driving from I-10 West.... it would be nice thing when they say "what are all of those buildings over there on the right side of the bridge"??

Planning Commission to consider first Water Campus building

The Planning Commission is set to consider rezoning a portion of land near Baton Rouge's riverfront for the first building in the new Water Campus, a nearly 30-acre, $50 million research and office park. The application, submitted by Commercial Properties Realty Trust, seeks to convert 2 acres from a residential zoning classification to allow for mixed-use and office buildings. The four-story, 65,000-square-foot building will house the new headquarters of the Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority. According to the application, the building will sit in the northeast corner of the downtown block bordered by Terrace Street on the north, Arches Street on the west, Oklahoma Street on the south and Aztec Street on the east. Its physical address will be 510 Oklahoma St. Two other buildings planned for the first phase of development are set to house the offices for the Water Institute of the Gulf and a CPRA/LSU lab designed to study and model the lower Mississippi River basin.

"The Water Campus, a collaborative, interdisciplinary campus on par with world-class research facilities, is to be located near downtown Baton Rouge, easily accessible to the Louisiana State Capitol Park Complex and Louisiana State University," according to the application. The business sector involving the study, preservation and restoration of the coast could produce 10,000 to 20,000 direct jobs and another 10,000 to 25,000 indirect jobs through 2030, the application says, citing Louisiana Economic Development estimates. The Planning Commission will consider the application at its Oct. 20 meeting. For more on the Water Campus, read the Business Report cover story from December. —Kelly Connelly

http://www.businessreport.com/article/20140904/BUSINESSREPORT0112/140909877

• Like 1

I hope they do not op for an ultra modern design...it would not fit and in my opinion look rather ugly.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. They kind of have a blank slate for this, with no real neighborhood character existing- especially for the pier.

I typically hate modernist architecture because it so often looks incredibly tacky (like the new downtown library proposal), does not respect the surrounding buildings, lacks a human scale, or ages very poorly.

I kind of want it to look and feel like lower manhattan or downtown Chicago but that's not really possible. They can introduce some pretty edgy details but still make the building feel like it belongs there....it just doesn't happen often in Baton Rouge.

Edited by cajun

• 3 months later...

Groundbreaking near on first Water Campus building

Nearly a year after plans for the Water Campus were announced, a groundbreaking is near on the first building that would rise at the nearly 30-acre campus situated along the Mississippi River near downtown.

The first building on the Water Campus is to measure four stories and about 65,000 square feet. It will house the offices of the Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority.

The first phase of development of the Water Campus also calls for construction of offices on the Old City Dock for the Water Institute of the Gulf, as well as a building that would house a lab designed to study and model the Mississippi River. Verma says BRAF has donated about an acre of land to LSU for the lab. Plans for those buildings have yet to move through the Planning Commission process.

*rest of article*

http://www.businessreport.com/article/groundbreaking-near-first-water-campus-building

This seemed to go by so fast. I guess the fact that the state is involved makes a big difference, especially with Jindal leaving office soon looking for a Presidential run.

Nevertheless, I'm really excited to see this project move forward. I wonder how long it will take for all phases to be complete?

i

This seemed to go by so fast. I guess the fact that the state is involved makes a big difference, especially with Jindal leaving office soon looking for a Presidential run.

Nevertheless, I'm really excited to see this project move forward. I wonder how long it will take for all phases to be complete?

I would say maybe 2020. Then again it is moving steadily along and given Louisiana is a one party state now it can either keep up the pace or get bogged down by corruption. 

THANKS Mr Bernham! When completed this will be one massive development! Coming from the west on the bridge seeing the 19 story tower on the right-hand side will boss! Stoked that the old City Dock will be put to good use! The little greenspace square(Block 7) should add some flair...  It would have been nice to see LSU's Innovation park squeezed into all of this somehow as well....

The cool model of the Mississippi is already being housed in a building further south on the NW edge of the campus on River Road....wonder if the model will be disassembled & moved? or build a entire newer one?

With the River District/River House & mixed use development at LSU's old Alex Box stadium in the works...the Before & After transformation should be epic!

Edited by richyb83

THANKS Mr Bernham! When completed this will be one massive development! Coming from the west on the bridge seeing the 19 story tower on the right-hand side will boss! Stoked that the old City Dock will be put to good use! The little greenspace square(Block 7) should add some flair...  It would have been nice to see LSU's Innovation park squeezed into all of this somehow as well....

The cool model of the Mississippi is already being housed in a building further south on the NW edge of the campus on River Road....wonder if the model will be disassembled & moved? or build a entire newer one?

With the River District/River House & mixed use development at LSU's old Alex Box stadium in the works...the Before & After transformation should be epic!

To answer your questions with what I know: There will be a new larger and more advanced model of the river constructed in building 10B. The Old City dock is planned to be in a really innovative and modern building similar to the Sydney Opera House (guess Kip got a little input on this). 

Cool! So the first one is the dock or is this "3a" on the map?

The dock is labeled 'The Water Institute of the Gulf Research and Interpretative Center' . 3A is a residential building, it will be a low rise.