The Next Famous US Skyline

What will be the next famous US Skyline?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the next famous US Skyline?

• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Cleveland
    • Pittsburgh
    • Philadelphia
    • Detroit
    • Los Angeles
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville
    • Seattle
    • Minneapolis
    • Honolulu
    • Kansas City (Both Sides)
    • St. Louis
    • Phoenix
    • San Antonio
    • Austin
    • San Diego
    • Boston
    • Other

I think we can all agree that New York City, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, San Framcisco, and Miami are the nation's most famous skylines. I just wanted to know, which city will be our next big skyline?

By famous, I mean recognized by many people around the world.

Washington DC would probably get an honorable mention in the above list.

My guess is that it will be Charlotte, Atlanta, Los Angeles, or Philadelphia.

Home town pride wins out for me...I voted for Atlanta.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is odd, if you're talking world renowned skylines, you cant include, either Dallas or Houston, while both are very impressive niether stand out as being internationally recognizeable, I'd agree with New York, Chicago and San Francisco, but I'd amend the List to include LA since it's skyline is used in tons of movies and television shows. I also find it odd that in the discussion about the "next famous Us Skyline" much older cities are mentioned, like Philly, Detroit, and Boston. Cities like these have dense skilines dating back to the times when New York and CHicago were also building Higher. Not that they would neccessarily be recognizeable, although Detroit seems to stand out to me because of how off balanced it seems in all the pictures you see from the Canadian side. I'd agree with alot of the other choices, and I'd have to go with Atlanta. even though Houston and Dallas are much bigger citties, Atlanta's skyline is definately growing taller everyday it just seems to have more character. I'd say it's more internationally renowned than alot of the other cities mentioned.

I have to agree about Dallas and Houston.

The reason I included them in my list of current great US skylines is that they have building styles that aren't very common in the US, and they are known to many people at least in our country.

The TV show "Dallas" may have exposed some of the city's skyline to the world.

Glad to see you feel the same way about Atlanta, though.

The reason I didn't include LA in my current great skylines list is because most people here and some people elsewhere don't seem to like some of the buildings.

The best angle to view Detroit from is when you are coming into the city from the US side. Allan or someone could tell you more.

Philly and Boston have great skylines already, I just didn't think they were reknowned enough yet around the world.

Not intended to bash Seattle here, but, other than the Space Needle, I can't recognise many of its buildings.

However, many could people could say that about many of Atlanta's, Charlotte's, or many other cities' skyscrapers.

Usually, a good, famous skyline has a few recognizable buildings to many of the general public.

That said, thanks to my joining this site, I can now recogize some more of Seattle's buildings.

Seattle has one of America's best skylines, no matter what.

I would think one or two famous buildings is why most people recognize skylines. If you're not into skylines which most people aren't, what building or buildings in Atlanta are recognizable or famous? Believe it or not a lot of europeans I know recognize the Dallas skyline more than any other besides maybe New York, Chicago, SF and D.C. because of the tv show and Reunion Tower with the revolving ball on top. The Space Needle has been around since 1962 and millions from around the world have visited Seattle's number 1 tourist attraction.

I started to say Miami which was not on the list, but I see you included it in your comments.

I would have also included Los Angeles on your already Famous Skyline list. Its skyline is unmistakable having the benefit of appearing in countless movies and televisions shows because of Hollywood. So I vote for it.

I would think one or two famous buildings is why most people recognize skylines.  If you're not into skylines which most people aren't, what building or buildings in Atlanta are recognizable or famous?  Believe it or not a lot of europeans I know recognize the Dallas skyline more than any other besides maybe New York, Chicago, SF and D.C.  because of the tv show and Reunion Tower with the revolving ball on top.  The Space Needle has been around since 1962 and millions from around the world have visited Seattle's number 1 tourist attraction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A lot of people tend to recognize the Westin Peachtree Hotel and perhaps the Bank of America, SunTrust or another building.

monsoon, I suppose you could be right about Los Angeles then. Many TV shows do benefit the towns they are based in. The shots of skylines on some TV shows and movies usually help people to recognize the skyline a little more.

I think the next Famous U.S. Skyline would be atlanta. Using the word NEXT is what puts atlanta in this position. Atlanta's skyline is shown in music videos, movies - "Gone With the Wind" & "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" to just name a few. The way the buildings are spaced, it gives the illusion of a bigger donwtown-midtonw area. Atlanta is building and building and becoming very unique. Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world. When the billions of people get off the plane, and look, they are going to see it atlanta's unique skyline. Most skylines have tall buildings centered around one taller building. That is not shown in the atlanta skyline from any angle.

atl_yrd.jpg

DOWNTOWN-A SMALL PART OF MIDTOWN

skyline.gif

MIDTOWN

I think the next Famous U.S. Skyline would be atlanta. Using the word NEXT is what puts atlanta in this position. Atlanta's skyline is shown in music videos, movies - "Gone With the Wind" & "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" to just name a few. The way the buildings are spaced, it gives the illusion of a bigger donwtown-midtonw area. Atlanta is building and building and becoming very unique. Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world. When the billions of people get off the plane, and look, they are going to see it atlanta's unique skyline. Most skylines have tall buildings centered around one taller building. That is not shown in the atlanta skyline from any angle.

Indeed.

Thanks for the pics Chris.

The TV show "Dallas" may have exposed some of the city's skyline to the world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Considering the "Who Shot JR?" episode became a worldwide phenomenon while people waited all summer to find out who did it I would certainly say it gave Dallas exposure. At the time it held the record for the biggest worldwide audience for a Television program.

I voted for Nashville because of the Batman Building. I mean, seriously, how many buildings in the world look like the Batman building? ONE!! Plus we're growin like kudzu and will soon have more recognizable buildings.

Hometown pride helped just a little bit, too.

I would have to go with my hometown Orlando though its not on the list. Though our skyline is not the most impressive out of the list it is easily the most visited and gets a significant amount of publicity. Ive already seen Orlando's skyline displayed on several national television programs, such as backrounds in news interviews, Documentaries, and even a TV movie, and while many other cities have the same attention, for a city with a skyline the size of Orlando which Ill admit isnt too dazzling to be getting as much attention as it has got, when it is three times that size with amazing buildings it will recieve a significant amount of attention, which we can thank Disney for bringing the attention, which we are using to our advantage.

I dunno, Seattle seems like a pretty good Call to me, not only is it impressive, it's very easily recognizeable, IMO Seattle is one of Americas premier cities. Definately world class, one of the top ten best major cities/ metro areas in the country.

nashville's skyline is always featured in futuristic movies for some reason. i'm guessing it's because of the batman building. it's in the movie the "6th day"(i think that's the name of that gov. ahhhhnold :D movie) and in the matrix (at the beginning when trinity is running on the roof, the skyline is nashville). it's also been on some cd cases (ones that have nothing to do with nashville) and on the acura mdx owner's manual. always seems to show up in strange places. i've found that the most famous shot is that of the 40/65 split south of downtown.

My hometown pride will come back to kick me in the ass I am sure... but you shouldn't discount the up-and-coming skylines either. I'm speaking of the Virginia skylines which in the coming decade will rival many larger, already-established cities. Particularly Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Richmond. The three have numerous major projects proposed (do a google search of the Westin at VB Town Center or check out the Virginia pages on this site). Norfolk isn't easily recognizable to most outsiders, but it has a uniqueness and great beauty to it.

Richmond is the most impressive of the three VA cities. Coming up 95 or going west on 64 provides an impressive panorama of the city and its interesting downtown.

As the Westin project in Virginia Beach gains steam (and floors) as well as numerable projects surrounding it, I think the city will have a very defined skyline within the coming 10-20 years. Will it become internationally reknowned? Probably not, but definitely stand out among its American competitors.

*sighs* But alas... among the list provided... I would say Atlanta. I've seen it from Hartsfield Airport and it is quite impressive and almost elegant in its shape and varied buildings.

Don't think me long-winded (yes... I know I am) but as I can't defend my Virginia cities due to the fact I'll never be able to likely find this thread again, you should check out the S/E VA sites and give it a look. We're not a Boston or Baltimore or Miami yet, but give us some time and we'll catch up. ;)

That's fine, Kiddo. VA has some nice skylines.

The only reason they are not on the list is because I was only including skylines that have already been established on a regional and somewhat on a national level. Places like Richmond and VA Beach are still a little more regional in terms of how famous they are. Richmond might be able to make it on the list in a couple of years. I've seen it. It has a nice one.

That's fine, Kiddo. VA has some nice skylines.

The only reason they are not on the list is because I was only including skylines that have already been established on a regional and somewhat on a national level. Places like Richmond and VA Beach are still a little more regional in terms of how famous they are. Richmond might be able to make it on the list in a couple of years. I've seen it. It has a nice one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yay I found the site again haha (and added to favorites). I know what you mean and truly no VA skyline is established yet. Maybe Richmond... but it can't yet compete with the other cities on the list...

But now Virginia Beach and Norfolk have 2 buildings about to go up that will take the titles of state's 1st and 2nd tallest :) particularly with VB I can see that trend continuing.

And I don't get why St. Louis is on the list... other than the Gateway Arch it doesn't have much noticeable architecture. But I suppose the arch is enough of an enduring symbol of the city to make it worthy of the list...

Archived