The Next Famous US Skyline

What will be the next famous US Skyline?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the next famous US Skyline?

• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Cleveland
    • Pittsburgh
    • Philadelphia
    • Detroit
    • Los Angeles
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville
    • Seattle
    • Minneapolis
    • Honolulu
    • Kansas City (Both Sides)
    • St. Louis
    • Phoenix
    • San Antonio
    • Austin
    • San Diego
    • Boston
    • Other

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, its crazy to see how a thread with so many cities on the list is dominanted with talk only about one.

Out of this list, I think some, like STL, LA, Seattle, Philly are already famous. Other than that, I think Minneapolis, Kansas City, San Deigo and San Antonio are the next in line.

And you don't think that this has anything to do with the fact that New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles are the only cities in the United States with those names? Charlotte is a city that is located both in North Carolina and Vermont. You don't think the newspapers do this for clarification? If there was only one Charlotte, my guess is that the ,NC would be left off. Just my humble opinion...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the Associated Press (AP) standard for dropping the state I.D. after the city name (i.e. Charlotte as opposed to Charlotte, NC) is when that city is nationally recognized (or maybe even internationally recognized) and therefore no confusion would ensue as to where the city in question is.  Apparently, according to the AP and other news organizations, Charlotte has not reached that level.  Neither, by the way, has Jacksonville, FL.  There are many Jacksonvilles in the US too.  I know this because there was an article about this in the local paper a few years ago.

A good example is Miami, FL.  Datelines in the media simply say Miami, but if they are talking of the Miami in Ohio, they say Miami, OH.  The reason is Miami, FL is the internationally recognized place which goes by this name.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be fair, there are several Atlantas, but usually you only hear about the one.

Seattle's skyline is only famous because of the Space Needle. Were it not for that it would probably not be more recognized than Mineapolis or Salt Lake City.

No need for us (Nashville) to get into any skyline contest, we're not that confused or delusional. But, since fame has become a part of the discussion. We have many cities beat in that department. 9 times out of 10, the TN doesn't appear behind our name. Now, I'll bow out and let Charlotte continue with its quest for recognition. (you guys should really learn to relax a bit, gee, bankers....sigh, you're so touchy)

Great famous new skylines? Got to go with Miami, Seattle, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Pittsburgh...in addition to the ones that already easily make the grade. We know who they are.

Nashville will just sit back a be cozy with itself.

I totally disagree. Maybe Charlotte is not recognized from some potato farmer in Idaho. But the educated people and 99% of the of evolved minds of the world know exactly where the Queen City is. It is the second  leading financial center in America outside of NY. Charlotte's economy pumps out more capital annually than the entire GDP of Venezuela. We are talkin' MONEY people and people know MONEY. I know this might be a shocker, but I work at a bank (no real surprise, right???) here in CLT and speak to people all across the country because of my role.  I literally just got back from the bond floor in One Wachovia where they have one of the largest fixed income desks in the US. People come here from all over the world to be traders in foreign currencies, equities, and bonds. Outside of not having the exchange like Chicago (Mercantile exchange) and NYC (NYSE), Charlotte is a powerhouse for global finance and trade.  I have two people that are my personal friends from Hong Kong who moved here less than three years ago to work on the ForeX (currency markets).They definately know Charlotte. They work on one of the largest trading floors in the world in the Hearst tower. It is over ten stories high. If the NYSE has any problems (ie another Terrorist attack) the NYSE has designated Charlotte as where the exchange would go, specifically in the Hearst tower adjacent to the BofA headquarters. Charlotte is under no shadow of any other city, especially Atlanta. I personally think that most bankers and traders prefer Charlotte to NYC, if truth be told, simply because it has all the jobs of NYC with the same million dollar salaries, but the cost of living is half that of NYC.  People that are in the know do not confuse it to be in NC or SC because it is simply Charlotte. Whether or not you put your state behind the cities name has no bearing on its signifigance.

Case in point:

New York, New York (I think there might even be a song called that, Hmmmm :whistling: )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is completely wrong, you have said this crap befor and i forget who it was but they proved you wrong, you have also said that charlotte has the 2nd biggest urban area in the us, when infact it isnt even in the top 20.

That is completely wrong, you have said this crap befor and i forget who it was but they proved you wrong, you have also said that charlotte has the 2nd biggest urban area in the us, when infact it isnt even in the top 20.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are quite right....Charlotte DOES NOT have the 2nd largest urban area in the U.S., but in terms of land area...it does have the 6th largest "urban" area last time I checked.

I believe Atlanta will have the next, followed by Seattle and then Charlotte.. Nashville will be int here too...

Just an observation... Atlanta4ever, your agreeance with the statements bashing the city bashing is rediculous, when you are a major component of all of it... I mean really "AMEN TO THAT, BLAH BLAH BLAH" everytime someone attacks the charlotte people that build there city up... yeah, charlotte isn't going to have one for a while, and any realistic person in Charlotte will realize it... but is drama really necessary?

"THANK YOU THANK YOU AMEN AMEN" ...sheesh

why does economy matter when it comes to the topic of skyline??

I dont care if a city wasted ALL of its money building empty skyskrapers and was last on the GMP list.. if it looks good, shouldn't that be the number 1 reason to call it the next famous U.S. skyline?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe. But then the much more popular discussion would be about how mind numbingly stupid the city was. :blink:

Maybe.  But then the much more popular discussion would be about how mind numbingly stupid the city was.  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

his response was funny, ATL4EVER.

aNd NO.. it WOULD NOT be extremely intelligent for a city to build tons of huge skyscrapers but have no transit, schools, roads, government workers, or people to keep those buildings looking good?

my entire point (which was obvioudly missed) is that THIS thread is about the next famous US skyline, NOT about the city with the highest gmp, or the busiest airport, or hottest music scene. The next famous skyline should be chosen by looks alone.

So.. if you go back to what I said

"I dont care if a city wasted ALL of its money building empty skyskrapers and was last on the GMP list.. if it looks good, shouldn't that be the number 1 reason to call it the next famous U.S. skyline?"

it makes sense to me... :whistling:

-of course, the cities on the list have transit, roads, money to maintain the buildings.. blah blah, and have not built empty skyskrapers.

everyone is sooo touchy :ph34r:

You are quite right....Charlotte DOES NOT have the 2nd largest urban area in the U.S., but in terms of land area...it does have the 6th largest "urban" area last time I checked.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlotte has over 12.6 million people within a 100 mile radius making it the 6th largest urban area in the US. It is not second. It is almost fifth though. Last time I checked these figures were as of 2000. I believe we are now fifth. I will post a link to these figires.

A2

B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

never said this. As a matter of fact you can see the post I listed about for the Urban region pop stats just above. These are facts, not something I pulled up out of thin air. Find my post. But do not qoute me as saying that CLT was the 2nd largest Urban Region because I did not. Check my stats. and also check my links. Unless you can find a post where I said something that was not linked to an informative site then do not bash my post. (or for that matter misqoute what I say)

"Largest Urban Areas" in the US as defined by the Census Bureau.

Urban Areas:

1. New York - 17,799,861

2. Los Angeles - 11,789,487

3. Chicago - 8,307,904

4. Philadelphia - 5,149,079

5. Miami - 4,919,036

6. Dallas - 4,145,659

7. Boston - 4,032,484

8. Washington - 3,933,920

9. Detroit - 3,903,377

10. Houston - 3,822,509

11. Atlanta - 3,499,840