The Next Famous US Skyline

What will be the next famous US Skyline?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the next famous US Skyline?

• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Cleveland
    • Pittsburgh
    • Philadelphia
    • Detroit
    • Los Angeles
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville
    • Seattle
    • Minneapolis
    • Honolulu
    • Kansas City (Both Sides)
    • St. Louis
    • Phoenix
    • San Antonio
    • Austin
    • San Diego
    • Boston
    • Other

You have obviously never been to Denver or Portland.  Both have more high-rises than Charlotte and both have denser skylines.  And yes, both are experiencing a lot of development like Charlotte.  Do they have as many proposed towers as Charlotte?  Probably not, but who cares about proposals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You choose:

Charlotte:

http://www.prodev.com/slrc/2005/images/cha...eskylineRGB.jpg

Portland:

(BTW, I love Portlnd. I would not go as far as to say they have more high rises though)

http://www.visitortips.com/images/gallery/...ze/portland.jpg

Denver

(again love the city, most of all the location; but more high rises than CLT??? c'mon)

http://www.denver-travel-services.com/imag...ne-at-nite1.jpg

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A2, slow down now...

I love my native Charlotte but let's be realistic. Portland's downtown is denser than Charlottes and Denver's downtown dwarfs ours. For a skyline of our size, we've got the nicest collection of highrises in the country (in my opinion). You could even make the arguement that our architecture is better than Portland or Denvers, but you can't say that our skyline is bigger.

Cause it ain't.

By the way....I vote that Philly, Boston and Seattle's skyline are already famous.

A2, slow down now...

I love my native Charlotte but let's be realistic. Portland's downtown is denser than Charlottes and Denver's downtown dwarfs ours. For a skyline of our size, we've got the nicest collection of highrises in the country (in my opinion). You could even make the arguement that our architecture is better than Portland or Denvers, but you can't say that our skyline is bigger.

Cause it ain't.

By the way....I vote that Philly, Boston and Seattle's skyline are already famous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.....Portland's downtown has some serious density and they are very comparable with Charlotte w/ respect to City and Metro Population. (almost twins in that respect). But Denver is not fun. I do not like having mills downtown. I think there should be seperate districts for that kind of stuff. I do have to agree with the architecture though.

Here is a nice shot of dtwn Portland (w/respect to density)

aerphoto.jpg

They do not have the height, but they don't have surface lots either (like another city I know)

;)

Just so you know, I think Charlotte has one sexy skyline, but there's no way it will be the next famous skyline. Charlotte has a nicer skyline than the other two, but IMO there are factors keeping Charlotte from moving ahead in terms of overall appeal. I've lived in Denver and have visited both Charlotte and Portland. I don't think I would ever move back to Denver. I would enjoy Portland, but I haven't made up my mind about Charlotte.

Here's a comparison of the three cities previous mentioned. The following is a number of high-rises per city (12 floors and higher).

Portland

100 completed

11 under construction

10 proposed

5 approved

Denver

180 completed

4 under construction

1 approved

14 proposed

Charlotte

54 completed

2 under construction

6 approved

7 proposed

I was going by the list of "Notable Buildings in North America," and it lits just as many over 300 ft buildings for Charlotte as Denver, and about twice as many as Portland. According to this list Portland's tallest building is 546 feet, Charlotte's is 871 ft. It only lists 3 buildings for Portland being over 500 ft. Charlotte has 5. It makes one think that. ^_^

Ah, I think I just figured it out. My definition of "high rise" is much higher than 12 stories. You are correct if you say that Portland has more 10-20 story buildings, but perhaps we can say Portland has more, but Charlotte's are newer and taller and more pleasing?? :rolleyes:

Eh Portland has some high ones too, they may not all be "1000 ft high"(exageration), But hieght shouldn't necessarily be the final blow as to what would give one city a better skyline than another.

Eh Portland has some high ones too, they may not all be "1000 ft high"(exageration), But hieght shouldn't necessarily be the final blow as to what would give one city a better skyline than another.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I love DC. I think it is an awesome city and it doesn't have any highrises. I think of Paris too. It is an incredible city known the world over and much of its density is low and mid-rise structures. :D

Imagine what DC would look like too, without the height restrictions it has!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

probably like a mini NYC. They have a beautiful thing though. I love the architecture and the history of the city. Too be frank, I would not mind living there at all. Pro Sports, Culture, great transit...What more could a guy want.

(maybe a 1400 ft skyskraper :blush: )

haha

yea height isnt everything, I think baltimore has a beautiful skyline and i dont think any of their towers break 500 feet. As for Charlotte, it has a more distinguished look than portland and denver. However i have never been to either one so im basing this off of pics of p & d. Anyway I think Charlotte has the most potential out of the three even though the other 2 have a head start.

That is actually pretty common among cities that boomed in the industrial revolution. Detroit, Baltimore, Cinci, Milwaukee, and many others, all have real nice towers, very cool architecture, but I think most of the proposed super towers for those cities never came to fruition, as the ecomonic booms shifted to the south and west, and investment slowed quite a bit.

That is actually pretty common among cities  that boomed in the industrial revolution.  Detroit, Baltimore,  Cinci,  Milwaukee, and many others, all have real nice towers, very cool architecture, but I think most of the proposed super towers for those cities never came to fruition, as the ecomonic booms shifted to the south and west, and investment slowed quite a bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True... but the central tower in Detroit's Renaissance Center is between 800-1000 feet. Baltimore has an impressive skyline especially driving along I-95 in and out of the city. It's inner-harbor also gives it great appeal and distinction, but it isn't exactly overly memorable.

I don't get the excitment over Charlotte though... Philadelphia has distinction in its three silvery towers (don't know the names, but they're like mini-Crystler Buildings) and Independence Hall etc. It also has the history factor... I think it's already established as well as Boston (John Hancock Building, Custom's House, Prudential Center, etc.) and Seattle.

As far as up-and-coming skylines ... rarh. I don't know? I definitely wouldn't say Pheonix or San Antonio! :lol:

Next famous skyline........

Atlanta.

Maybe Jacksonville. There is so much potential there and the beautiful water setting.

Perhaps Seattle. Such a lovely city and gorgeous natural beauty.

Charlotte has a ton of potential as well. It's in it's awakening stage and growth will undoubtedly bring more beautiful towers.

I'm with you on Phoenix, with as much economic and population boom as it's going thru it has nowhere to go but up, alot of these other cities have very well estrablished and memorable skylines

True... but the central tower in Detroit's Renaissance Center is between 800-1000 feet.  Baltimore has an impressive skyline especially driving along I-95 in and out of the city.  It's inner-harbor also gives it great appeal and distinction, but it isn't exactly overly memorable.

I don't get the excitment over Charlotte though...  Philadelphia has distinction in its three silvery towers (don't know the names, but they're like mini-Crystler Buildings) and Independence Hall etc.  It also has the history factor... I think it's already established as well as Boston (John Hancock Building, Custom's House, Prudential Center, etc.) and Seattle.

As far as up-and-coming skylines ...  rarh.  I don't know?  I definitely wouldn't say Pheonix or San Antonio!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The middle Renaissance tower is 724 its the 200th tallest building on earth.

Wow. I think it's obvious that those who are voting for Charlotte and Atlanat have never step foot outside their area.

St. Louis

Philadelphia

Seattle

Los Angeles

Also,

Minneapolis

Cleveland

Boston

Have you ever heard of these cities before? They're not dead.

The childish hometown boosterism on this site is insane.

I think you could make a case for Philly, Seattle, LA, and Minneapolis......but as much as I like Boston's skyline, it will never rank above those others.....and St. Louis and Cleveland's are less impressive than either Atlanta or Charlotte's now.....in the future, the gap will only widen.

NorthStar.....as much as you decry hometown boosterism, your disdain for the southeast in general makes your opinions a bit questionable in my book.

People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones.

There is much childish hometown boisterism on this site,

It's very easy for someone from Minneapolis, to chastise people from Atlanta, and Charlotte, But I don't think it's fair for them not to include there own city. I don't think i'd be the only person who'd say that people from Minneapolis can also be pitbull-like when it comes to getting their city the respect, they feel it deserves.

Back to the subject at hand, Minne has an impressive sky-line. Atlanta has an outstanding skyline. I've not been to Charlotte, but the pictures I've seen are quite impressive.

However I find cities like Philly, Boston, Detroit, Miami, San Fran, ect..

very recognizeable. Whether Impressive or not they are famous in there own right.

This topic has been done, very good points made, it feels like we are beating a dead horse now, is there anything new to say?

I think you could make a case for Philly, Seattle, LA, and Minneapolis......but as much as I like Boston's skyline, it will never rank above those others.....and St. Louis and Cleveland's are less impressive than either Atlanta or Charlotte's now.....in the future, the gap will only widen.

NorthStar.....as much as you decry hometown boosterism, your disdain for the southeast in general makes your opinions a bit questionable in my book.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you ever seen St. Louis' skyline? It's filled with nice architecture and it's dense. The city also has a skyline that is already famous. I've been to Charlotte and the skyline isn't much more impressive than Indianapolis or Cleveland. It has a long way to go before it becomes the next famous skyline.

And my disdain for the southeast? Explain.

Archived