The Next Famous US Skyline

What will be the next famous US Skyline?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the next famous US Skyline?

• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Cleveland
    • Pittsburgh
    • Philadelphia
    • Detroit
    • Los Angeles
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville
    • Seattle
    • Minneapolis
    • Honolulu
    • Kansas City (Both Sides)
    • St. Louis
    • Phoenix
    • San Antonio
    • Austin
    • San Diego
    • Boston
    • Other

Now I understand why someone posed the question "is Charlotte overrated" because if Id never been there I would have the impression its already bigger than Portland and Denver and practically nipping at the heels of NYC. :rolleyes:

Several of the skylines on that list I think are already very recognizable by most adults in the US, if not "famous". Keeping in mind most people don't spend hours on forums discussing skyscrapers.

My ranking of most recognizable from that list

1 Los Angeles - A skyline that gets a lot of media (movies/tv) airtime

2 St Louis - ONLY because of the arch. In fact its really a famous structure more than the skyline itself. You pratically don't even notice the other buildings.

3 Seattle - The setting and the space needle make it known

4 Atlanta - Distinctive because of the prevalence of spires and its linear nature. Gets a good amount of visibility thru convention industry, media outlets and sporting events.

5 Boston - Skyline thats pretty unique, anyone thats seen it once would recognize the city.

6Pittsburgh - Setting at the conjunction of three rivers gives it away

7Philadelphia - I get the impression that Philly's skyline is a bit underrated.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as Charlotte being recognized I think you can go to pretty much any city in the U.S. and they'll know which city you're referring too (if for nothing less than Charlottes sports franchises). I think that Charlottes skyline would probably be pretty recognized in the U.S., but not the world yet. I do believe that day is coming though. I'd put Atlanta in much that same category but maybe a bit farther along in the international category. Jacksonville was a good choice to add to the poll in my view. It's often overlooked but there are going to be some very major additions to Jacksonvilles skyline soon and it's skyline already has a very unique and modern look to it. All that being said, I think everyone needs to take a deep breath, step back from their computers, and relax a bit. They are just cities. Simply because someone doesn't have the same view of your city as you do does not mean they are personally attacking you. What started out as a great thread seems to have devolved into a bunch of bickering on the last 2 pages. I really hope that cooler heads start to prevail soon. :thumbsup:

I totally disagree. Maybe Charlotte is not recognized from some potato farmer in Idaho. But the educated people and 99% of the of evolved minds of the world know exactly where the Queen City is. It is the second  leading financial center in America outside of NY. Charlotte's economy pumps out more capital annually than the entire GDP of Venezuela. We are talkin' MONEY people and people know MONEY. I know this might be a shocker, but I work at a bank (no real surprise, right???) here in CLT and speak to people all across the country because of my role.  I literally just got back from the bond floor in One Wachovia where they have one of the largest fixed income desks in the US. People come here from all over the world to be traders in foreign currencies, equities, and bonds. Outside of not having the exchange like Chicago (Mercantile exchange) and NYC (NYSE), Charlotte is a powerhouse for global finance and trade.  I have two people that are my personal friends from Hong Kong who moved here less than three years ago to work on the ForeX (currency markets).They definately know Charlotte. They work on one of the largest trading floors in the world in the Hearst tower. It is over ten stories high. If the NYSE has any problems (ie another Terrorist attack) the NYSE has designated Charlotte as where the exchange would go, specifically in the Hearst tower adjacent to the BofA headquarters. Charlotte is under no shadow of any other city, especially Atlanta. I personally think that most bankers and traders prefer Charlotte to NYC, if truth be told, simply because it has all the jobs of NYC with the same million dollar salaries, but the cost of living is half that of NYC.  People that are in the know do not confuse it to be in NC or SC because it is simply Charlotte. Whether or not you put your state behind the cities name has no bearing on its signifigance.

Case in point:

That might have been the most ridiculous post that I have ever heard. Just because you have two friends that moved to your city from Hong Kong does not make you a powerhouse. I had kids move to my high school from Russia, India, Japan, etc. for their dads to be doctors and researchers in Birmingham to work at the many hospitals,UAB, Healthsouth, etc. This doesn't mean my city is right up with NYC and LA. Just because a few bankers like Charlotte doesn't make it the next Tokyo. I also might add that Charlotte has many fewer "million dollar jobs" than NYC and is without a doubt hiding in the shadows of countless cities. I am not saying Birmingham is a better city than Charlotte, because it is not, but I also don't reel off worthless and half true facts trying to make my city seem like a world power when it is far from it. You have a long way to go to even dream of being Atlanta. Good luck.

I don't think Charlotte's qutite ready to become the "next" famous US skyline.

That honor will probably go to Seattle, Boston, or Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. It will probably be Atlanta, Seattle, or Miami. Charlotte has a long way to go until it reaches the importance of Atlanta, Seattle, and Miami. That includes economy and skyline.

Seattle is already famous IMO.

I agree. It will probably be Atlanta, Seattle, or Miami. Charlotte has a long way to go until it reaches the importance of Atlanta, Seattle, and Miami. That includes economy and skyline.

ATL

14 Home Depot

42 UPS

87 Bellsouth

92 CocaCola

CLT

18 BOA

43 Lowes

65 Wachovia

86 Duke Energy

Charlotte looks pretty far behind Atlanta in terms of economy to me. (Fortune 500 companies Top 100)

ah but on the list they don't group them together.

http://www.usmayors.org/metroeconomies/100...tables_1004.xls

But then again, we are discussing skylines. Ford Motor Company and GM (which would add a hell of lot money for Detroit) are not going to build a supertall. We are talking skyscrapers and Financial companies seem to build pretty high quality skyscrapers... Charlotte is Finance, good looking skyline.

why does economy matter when it comes to the topic of skyline??

I dont care if a city wasted ALL of its money building empty skyskrapers and was last on the GMP list.. if it looks good, shouldn't that be the number 1 reason to call it the next famous U.S. skyline?

Charlotte is not as recognizable as you think.  Look in any major newspaper and you will see Charlotte, NC.  Why?  It probably has to do with the fact that people still get confused as to whether the city is in NC or SC.  Or it has to do with the fact that the city just isn't recognizable to many people outside of the S.E.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you don't think that this has anything to do with the fact that New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles are the only cities in the United States with those names? Charlotte is a city that is located both in North Carolina and Vermont. You don't think the newspapers do this for clarification? If there was only one Charlotte, my guess is that the ,NC would be left off. Just my humble opinion...

My intention for next famous skyline was "Which city will have the best increase in economy and/or tourists that would give it the next famous US skyline?"

Most of the US's famous skylines are from cities that are economically important on the international level (like Atlanta, Seattle, or Boston) even if it is only minimally. Also, being a tourist hub helps (like Miami).

Honolulu is on the list not just because it is a big tourist hub, but it is also one of the most iomportant Pacific ports.

I believe the Associated Press (AP) standard for dropping the state I.D. after the city name (i.e. Charlotte as opposed to Charlotte, NC) is when that city is nationally recognized (or maybe even internationally recognized) and therefore no confusion would ensue as to where the city in question is. Apparently, according to the AP and other news organizations, Charlotte has not reached that level. Neither, by the way, has Jacksonville, FL. There are many Jacksonvilles in the US too. I know this because there was an article about this in the local paper a few years ago.

A good example is Miami, FL. Datelines in the media simply say Miami, but if they are talking of the Miami in Ohio, they say Miami, OH. The reason is Miami, FL is the internationally recognized place which goes by this name.

So let me get this straight, once the AP (an organization to be respected for sure), drops the state. The city is in another class?

Fascinating. And all this time I thought it had to do with economic power, airports, transit systems, wealth, quality of life and famous events and places.

As for the skyline I thought the famous skyline would come from unique signature towers on grand scales from economic engines who have a tendency to build great towers.

But I

So let me get this straight, once the AP (an organization to be respected for sure), drops the state. The city is in another class?

Fascinating. And all this time I thought it had to do with economic power, airports, transit systems, wealth, quality of life and famous events and places.

The Associated Press writes many of the articles you read in your local paper and on the internet, so they are the arbiter of this in many respects. It doesnt make Charlotte a bad place, just because NC is after the name. I also dont think it has this international recognition yet that some seem to crave (for some reason). Pass the Charlotte Juice. :D

Archived