Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zeppelin14

Fort Tar Lofts

17 posts in this topic

Very cool history to this property for sure. And judging by the street view, this could be a catalyst for other needed revitalization in the immediate area.

man, in the back of my mind, deep deep down inside, I th ought I would be able to move back to Norfolk one day and buy that building for dirt cheap. I always loved that building....

I drove past this site the other day and it didn't look as if any work has been done. Is this project still a go?

I know there's progress pics, though there's a for lease sign from Thalheimer outside the building. 

An overnight stay in the fully furnished unit costs $150 per night and includes parking and two bicycles.

$150 for one night?!  :shok: I dunno what the downtown Marriott or Sheraton charge, but I imagine I could just stay there for about the same rate. I'm not even touching the rent issue.

I just passed by there a few days ago and didn't realize it was close to completion. The Monticello side of the building is in serious need of curb appeal.

Hopefully they plant some trees and install pedestrian lighting.

I drove past it today, and the exterior looks done. There's signage at the top of the building.

Have they done anything about the landscaping in the immediate area surrounding the lofts? The last time I was there it looked like it was in desperate need of it. 

I'm not sure...I know they have painted the building in a baby blueish shade. Next time I'm in that area, I'll try and get a pic of the property.

They've put some trees and flowers in some beds next to the building. It'll look better as they grow in.

I wonder though, Is the city ever going to do anything with the Fort Tar parking lot across Monticello from this building? I think that with LRT in operation and the bus transfer station being moved, this lot should be developed. With that in consideration though, isn't there a concern of coal ash or something on that site?