The Link at Glenwood

DPK

Formerly the site of the once planned Powerhouse Plaza, its construction is planned to start sometime in the spring of 2014.  It's being done by Grubb Properties, the same group that recently purchased the Beckanna (soon to be the Sterling Glenwood) in Glenwood South.

This 203-unit, wood-framed, multi-family project is part of Grubb Properties' Link apartment brand, and located in the vibrant Glenwood South district, a growing urban living community in the heart of Downtown Raleigh.  Within walking distance to several shops, restaurants, and clubs, situated on a two-acre infill site, a density of over 101.5 units per acre is achieved with and integrated below and above grade parking deck for approximately 187 cars.  Six floors contain a diverse mix of studio, one and two-bedroom units.  An integral Clubhouse & Leasing center contains ample space for resident gatherings, a complete fitness center, and a large outdoor pool & terrace area with a summer kitchen pavilion.  The architectural design blends contemporary forms with durable, traditional materials such as stone veneer, cementitious siding and stucco, creating a well-balanced transition between the commercial and residential uses on Glenwood, Jones, Harrington, and West Streets as well as the immediate surrounding contextual area.  Jones Street will be maintained as a "green street" by providing new tress and pervious paving along portions of the sidewalk.  In addition, new trees will be provided along West and Harrington Streets.

Rendering:

K0NPF3K.jpg

Harrington Street Elevation:

OMGYmek.jpg

Jones Street Elevation:

qDYXung.jpg

West Street Elevation:

omYURT7.jpg

http://goo.gl/maps/Dy1dv

Source:

http://www.clinedesignassoc.com/pages/portfolio/detail.aspx?id=200&categoryID=2

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with both of the previous posts. That area is 1) getting flooded with apartment complexes and 2) getting flooded with apartment complexes that occupy lots that could be put to better use in the future.

Whatever happened to the hotel planned for that site? That area is definitely in need of more hotel rooms and retail, instead of more apartments and cheesy restaurants. This is a prime example of why the Raleigh leadership needs to step up and control the intercity sprawl.

Developers are clearly most interested in developing what is hot at the moment, and in this case, apartments seem to be it. They clearly are not too concerned with the long term impacts of diluting the market with so many apartments and depleting valuable downtown sites in the process. Hopefully we are not headed for an apartment bubble.

Whatever happened to the hotel planned for that site? That area is definitely in need of more hotel rooms and retail, instead of more apartments and cheesy restaurants. This is a prime example of why the Raleigh leadership needs to step up and control the intercity sprawl.

Developers are clearly most interested in developing what is hot at the moment, and in this case, apartments seem to be it. They clearly are not too concerned with the long term impacts of diluting the market with so many apartments and depleting valuable downtown sites in the process. Hopefully we are not headed for an apartment bubble.

Grubb purchased the Powerhouse site at the beginning of the year when the previous owners (Cross Williams, Don Williams and Gary Cline) couldn't amass enough financing for it.  I think they (not Grubb) had their heart set on that one mixed use hotel plan and just didn't want to throw any more money at the problem when things were said and done.

I'm not even mad that this corner is set to be 100% apartments.  We need more residents in that area, on the East side of Glenwood South.  I just wish it didn't look like a giant EIFS pointy square.  Grubb appears to be fairly new at the whole downtown apartment building thing.  Going over their property list, it appears to be mostly acquisitions or small two story row apartment buildings that look dated.

There's definitely still seems to be huge demand for apartments in the area.  In Cameron Village alone, I've heard that the apartments being built there (that aren't even open yet for occupancy) are pretty much near capacity for leases.

I'd almost like to see an apartment bubble to bring the rental prices in the area down some for these news units coming online.  I've looked at renting and while I could afford it -- I'm a bit of a cheap beotch and refuse to pay that much money for the square footage.

I'm good on residential only for this spot (West 1 and 2 also are on this N-S axis). I'm long since disgusted with the lack of architecture on these standard apartments though. I get a sense it'll be a poor mans St Marys Square. This whole doughnut hole needs filled in though and is prime support for real retail options (including a grocery) in either Glenwood or the warehouse area to happen. I don't think every building or corridor needs retail, but I think it works better in strips and concentrations. Glad to see the green street stuff ...Raleigh identified Jones for 'green' stuff(bike lanes, LED lighting, pervious pavement), and the NRCS/DENR building kicked some of that effort off already.   

Edit:42nd Street looks to be about the right size for a grocery and it has parking too....just pondering...

Archived