RJ Reynolds Building MIxed Use Project

zalo

If you go through and read certain posts, those things were said about W-S. ........................................

Its ok to be excited about projects in one's city but there are no need for comments on the sly directed to other forumers from a neighboring city or belittling other cities. I know you didn't say this but what was the point of even saying Winston-Salem's downtown has more potential than Greensboro's downtown in this thread? Thats what started this conversation.

Whew, here we are again, same drama, different day and different channel.

I seem to distinctly remember you being the constant nag "on that other forum", Winston-Salem Tallest Buildings, which is a great website that is dedicated to the discussion of all things about architecture, development, and cultural goings-on in the city of Winston-Salem. It was for the general reason of your sabatoging the discussion about things going on in Winston-Salem, that you were banned, because you were always picking a fight with the people who visited the site to discuss Winston-Salem, not the boro. It's too bad your end of the 'Triad' doesn't have it's own discussion board that you have to chest beat among others. It doesn't take a wizard to figure out that 3/4 of the posts on here about Greensboro were started by you, and to see that you reply and follow up on your own interests to keep the conversation going about the boro. Most recent....the one about a folk festival coming there. It's like you talk to, and reply to, yourself. Noone else cares about the subject enough to respond.

I live in Charlotte. I visit this, and other forums, to learn about what is happening in Winston-Salem. I like Winston-Salem better, and don't really care that the boro is building a PAC. It's really funny how you call out others for being jealous of your little end of the world, but I believe the boro is jealous of Durham on that one. The GAPC is going to be bigger, and better, right?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to expect on any urban forum in any city section when someone says one city is more urban or has more potential over another because of hotel projects and the like, someone is going to counter that. A lot of us has posted here long enough to know that. All I said was that could be argued meaning it could be argued one way or the other depending on any person's perspective. Thats all I said. Sorry if some people took offense to that. No need for people to gang up on me for it. Seems there are more sensitive people than myself.

My statement about the urban potential of W-S had nothing to do with one single project. I made a comment about the Reynolds Building, then a general statement about my feelings toward Winston-Salem. I was generalizing the urban potential of the entirety of downtown W-S. I have been posting on this forum for years, Cityboi. I am well aware of how things go on here, especially in the Triad subforum. Someone says something you don't like, and you go off on a multiple post spiel that you edit after other comments are posted to take out or alter the most inflammatory statements you made. You did something similar with the post I quoted. You went in and added a bunch of sports talk and references to how other metros cooperate to try and make what you said a little less accusatory. I took no offense to you saying my statement could be argued, which is why I didn't respond to that post. What I took offense to is the post I quoted with your catty insinuation that I was somehow directing my comments at you and belittling Greensboro. There's no need for you to try and twist things around to fit your deluded perspective. 

Whew, here we are again, same drama, different day and different channel.

I seem to distinctly remember you being the constant nag "on that other forum", Winston-Salem Tallest Buildings, which is a great website that is dedicated to the discussion of all things about architecture, development, and cultural goings-on in the city of Winston-Salem. It was for the general reason of your sabatoging the discussion about things going on in Winston-Salem, that you were banned, because you were always picking a fight with the people who visited the site to discuss Winston-Salem, not the boro. It's too bad your end of the 'Triad' doesn't have it's own discussion board that you have to chest beat among others. It doesn't take a wizard to figure out that 3/4 of the posts on here about Greensboro were started by you, and to see that you reply and follow up on your own interests to keep the conversation going about the boro. Most recent....the one about a folk festival coming there.

I live in Charlotte. I visit this, and other forums, to learn about what is happening in Winston-Salem. I like Winston-Salem better, and don't really care that the boro is building a PAC. It's really funny how you call out others for being jealous of your little end of the world, but I believe the boro is jealous of Durham on that one. The GAPC is going to be bigger, and better, right?

untrue and way off topic...

btw I reported this whole sidetrack discussion to the moderator.  Expect to see some changes on this thread shortly. everyone needs to chill, stay on topic

My statement about the urban potential of W-S had nothing to do with one single project. I made a comment about the Reynolds Building, then a general statement about my feelings toward Winston-Salem. I was generalizing the urban potential of the entirety of downtown W-S. I have been posting on this forum for years, Cityboi. I am well aware of how things go on here, especially in the Triad subforum. Someone says something you don't like, and you go off on a multiple post spiel that you edit after other comments are posted to take out or alter the most inflammatory statements you made. You did something similar with the post I quoted. You went in and added a bunch of sports talk and references to how other metros cooperate to try and make what you said a little less accusatory. I took no offense to you saying my statement could be argued, which is why I didn't respond to that post. What I took offense to is the post I quoted with your catty insinuation that I was somehow directing my comments at you and belittling Greensboro. There's no need for you to try and twist things around to fit your deluded perspective. 

im the one who got attacked first, not from you btw. I just made a comment "that can be argued" and everyone started throwing rocks at me. You are right everyone has a right to their opinions....the sports references and the belittling comment wasn't aimed at any one person. Just a general attitude....Also just as you stated a general opinion about W-S having the downtown with the most potential, I made a comment about the Triad getting upscale hotels that Charlotte and Raleigh dont have, pointing out how far the Triad has come and a poster from Raleigh got defensive, yet no one is criticizing that person for getting defensive. I just questioned why even make a comment like that in a thread which is suppose to be about the RJR hotel in response to zalo because it did appear to be a swipe at  me because of some reference I made.

• 5 weeks later...

Posting this update to its proper place:

It's official: The iconic Reynolds Building in downtown Winston-Salem will be redeveloped into a Kimpton boutique hotel, apartments and a restaurant. A partnership between PMC Property Group and Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants jointly purchased the 22-story, 314,000-square-foot building for $7.8 million, Reynolds American Inc. (NYSE: RAI) announced Thursday. “Our guests want to feel like they are part of a community when they stay with us and the Reynolds Building is full of the rich history and elegance that reflects the city of Winston-Salem,” said Mike Depatie, Kimpton’s chief executive officer.

Ron Caplan, president and founder of PMC Property Group, said the developers have had their eye on downtown Winston-Salem for a number of years. “We are ecstatic that our first foray into the city is such an important landmark as the Reynolds Building,” Caplan said. “We are looking forward to bringing our upscale residential living experience to the area and introducing a dynamic, downtown destination with our partner, Kimpton Hotels.”

http://www.news-reco...c6ac32d206.html

The RJR Building as a boutique hotel will put the Dunhill here in Charlotte to shame.  It will be exciting to see what these guys do with this building, which is in immaculate condition I understand.  I have been in the Nissen Building, and to it's rooftop with the pool and views of the mountains to the north, but I can't imagine what it would be like to live, much less stay overnight, in one of the apartments or units of the Reynolds Building.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice set of interview videos of the heads of PMC developers and Kimpton Hotels during the official handover of the Reynolds Building this afternoon.  It was reiterated that Reynolds American was more interested in the quality of work and renovation that would take place, and the interest of the community at large, than it was with the ultimate tag price of the building.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/historic-reynolds-building-has-new-owner/article_2efe0ce6-fe2e-11e3-a9f7-0017a43b2370.html

More details from Friday's press conference.

• The developer’s goal is to have the building open by Fall of 2015. Mr. Caplan said that there was not a full budget in place, but he estimated that as much as $200.00 a square foot could be spent during construction which places the cost between $60 and $63million. The project should have as many as 150 construction workers on the job for a year following the completion of demolition.
Following completion of renovations, Kimpton will then employ around 250 people and an additional 150 will be put to work in what Mr. Long termed as “Indirect Jobs” that will spin off of the hotel itself. The Reynolds Building’s hotel will begin contributing an estimated $500,000 a year in occupancy taxes.

Mr. Caplan pointed out that the kind of tenants that will be getting apartments in the building are folks who eat out for the majority of their meals and will consume an estimated 500 to 600 restaurant meals a week. “All restaurants downtown will immediately see a spike.” Caplan said

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/planned-renovation-of-reynolds-building-is-big-boost-to-downtown/article_ee444674-fff0-11e3-b321-0017a43b2370.html?mode=image&photo=1

http://www.camelcitydispatch.com/the-reynolds-building-is-turned-over-to-re-developers-4875/

• 2 weeks later...

My source says that this project will get underway almost immediately.  The developers plan to invest up to at least $60 million on the Reynolds Building, and according to yesterday's editorial in the WS Journal, this project (along with work in the WFIQ and the recently acquired super fast GigaPower Internet Service) will likely be the tipping point for greater things in downtown Winston-Salem.

• 3 months later...

It sounds like officials with Kimpton Hotel Group has much confidence in the activity in downtown Winston-Salem, and that's what sealed the deal in their decision to tackle this monumental Art Deco building.

http://www.journalnow.com/business/business_beat/planned-hotel-in-former-reynolds-building-buoys-hopes-of-downtown/article_ac53f338-65f1-11e4-8eb8-001a4bcf6878.html

Work is already underway and the building's interior will get a renovation to the interior shell.

Alderman probably could have left that last sentence unsaid, but it is interesting to hear the perspective of a seasoned national developer of his caliber. 

James Alderman, a senior vice president with Kimpton, said the group will stay true to its corporate renovation mission of “pushing the envelope” with the building design and quality. “Our preference has been to take over gems and bring them back to life,” Alderman said. Kimpton’s development will feature 175 rooms, 36 suites, a hotel fitness center and more than 6,375 square feet of event and meeting space, including two ballrooms and several meeting rooms on the mezzanine level. It will include a 120-seat restaurant and bar.

“We envision the building becoming something like an adult fraternity house where people will hang out and get to know their neighbors,” Alderman said. “Our restaurant will not be the typical hotel restaurant catering to guests, but a welcome mat for the entire community.” Alderman said Winston-Salem represents the smallest urban setting for one of its hotel properties. He said any nervousness Kimpton had about its choice was alleviated by the vibrancy of downtown, particularly during weeknights.

“I’ve been back at least a dozen times, and each time there’s an energy here. There’s always activity,” Alderman said. “I didn’t experience that in Greensboro. I didn’t get the same kind of vibe and energy.”

• 2 months later...

The TBJ reports on the Reynolds Building's progress. This project is really going all out. Can't wait to hear about what to expect from the restaurant.

The first phase of the redevelopment of the Reynolds Building in downtown Winston-Salem, including the hotel and restaurant portions, is expected to be completed by Christmas, if not sooner, with construction to begin within the next few weeks. The past two months have focused on asbestos abatement and demolition. Plans have been submitted for the hotel, which will occupy floors 2 through 6 in the 22-story building built in 1929, with an anticipated cost of $5.3 million to upfit those areas, according to building permit documents. Drawings for the hotel portion are being reviewed by the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Inspection Department, with drawings and plans for the apartment portions and restaurant to be submitted in the coming weeks. Construction could begin within three weeks. Work will begin on the hotel, restaurant and first phase of apartments initially, with work on the higher levels of apartments following the completion of this first phase.

San Francisco-based Kimpton and Philadelphia-based PMC confirmed in May 2014 that they would invest $60 million in the overhaul and reworking of the iconic building, with plans to create a ground-floor restaurant, 175 hotel rooms and 120 apartments. The partnership bought the building that month for $7.8 million and that fall received a designation — placement on the National Register of Historic Places — that was key to qualifying for tax credits to help offset the cost of the project. The building is pursuing another historic designation — that of a local historic landmark — with a public hearing before the Forsyth County Historic Resources Commission scheduled for Feb. 4.

Kimpton also has an ongoing blog which is interesting and follows a feature about the rehab of the historic Reynolds Building.

https://www.kimptonhotels.com/blog/hello-winston-salem/

Read the blog and I have a question. Has GBoi been identified as Ric Davis??  A real turd in the punch bowl statement.  Perhaps Mr. Davis should review the comments from a Senior V.P. from Kimpton from back in November that stated:

“We envision the building becoming something like an adult fraternity house where people will hang out and get to know their neighbors,” Alderman said. “Our restaurant will not be the typical hotel restaurant catering to guests, but a welcome mat for the entire community.” Alderman said Winston-Salem represents the smallest urban setting for one of its hotel properties. He said any nervousness Kimpton had about its choice was alleviated by the vibrancy of downtown, particularly during weeknights.

“I’ve been back at least a dozen times, and each time there’s an energy here. There’s always activity,” Alderman said. “I didn’t experience that in Greensboro. I didn’t get the same kind of vibe and energy.”

This from a gentleman who has been across the country and around the world working on hospitality projects. One could consider his opinion to come from a sense of experience.

There's a turd for every toilet bowl.

I guess if Greensboro had top tier skyscrapers like Winston-Salem by top-rate architects, in pecking order from tallest down, Kimpton would have picked Greensboro in the first place. But it doesn't, and Kimpton did not, did it? I'm talking about buildings by Cesar Pelli and Shreve & Lamb caliber of prominence. Other than the flagship building with the digital clock in the crown (which I have never understood), greensboro's skyline comes off as rather unadorned, second-rate, and suburban in character and appearance.

• 10 months later...

More updates as the project moves closer to completion.

By Michael Hastings Winston-Salem Journal

The restaurant in the renovated R.J. Reynolds Building will be called the Katharine Brasserie & Bar after Katharine Smith Reynolds, Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants announced Tuesday.  The restaurant will be on the ground floor of the building at Fourth and Main streets, and will have its own entrance as well as access from the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel. The Katharine is expected to open as early as February. Renovation for the restaurant and hotel is underway.  Katharine Smith Reynolds was the wife of R.J. Reynolds, the founder of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., which once had its headquarters in the building.  Ed Witt, formerly of The Partisan in Washington, will be the restaurant’s executive chef. Herbie Gimmel, who grew up in High Point and most recently was a partner at the Screen Door restaurant in Charleston, S.C., will be the general manager.  Witt, 42, has worked at such notable restaurants as Daniel and River Cafe in New York and Rubicon and Jardiniere in San Francisco.

The Katharine will combine the concept of a French brasserie, or casual cafe, with Southern cooking “I want to have seasonal items with local ingredients,” Witt said. “And we’ll have a lot of Southern dishes.”  The Katharine will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eventually, it will add brunch, Witt said.  The restaurant will seat 120 inside and up to 44 more on the patio. It will have an extensive wine list and also offer craft beer and cocktails.  “We don’t want to be another hotel restaurant,” said Gimmel, 40. “We want to be a stand-alone restaurant. We want to be a community restaurant for Winston-Salem.”  Kimpton, based in San Francisco, announced last year that it would open a 174-room hotel on the bottom six floors of the 22-story historic Reynolds Building.  PMC Property Group of Philadelphia, which bought the building for $7.8 million last year, has said that the remaining floors will be converted into luxury rental residential units.

For more information, go to www.kimptonhotels.com and www.kimpton restaurants.com. The website for the restaurant will be www.katherine brasserie.com.

Last time I was in town I remember the crown lighting was not "on".  I think I  read that Kimpton and its development partners are currently in the process of replacing the lighting with LED lighting like that of the Empire State Building in NYC.  The old lighting uses colored seasonal gel lenses for holidays like Christmas 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The Kimpton Cardinal Hotel along with the Residences at the RJ Reynolds Bldg are now open and accepting guests/tenants. The official ribbon cutting ceremony for the hotel was done on  April 27, which is the 87th birthday of the building itself. Marble entryways, brass fittings, the original revolving door main entrance and even the gold leaf ceilings in the lobby/ living room areas have been restored. The lobby level elevator doors are one of the ground floor’s most outstanding features, looking like they had just been lifted from an elegant 1920s movie.  The hotel offers 174 guest rooms and 15 suites, including one presidential suite that measures out to 1,800 sq. feet of space. The guest rooms are housed on floors up to the sixth, with the floors seven through 19 being converted into permanent one and two bedroom apartments and living spaces.  PMC opened the first phase of the building’s renovations in late March — the Residences @ the R.J. Reynolds Building, which features one- and two-bedroom apartment models on the seventh to 19th floors.   The accepting of hotel guests, which began Monday, represents the second phase of the project. The hotel and the luxury units share several common areas, such as an exercise room and gathering spaces. The third phase, the ground-level Katharine Brasserie & Bar, debuts Monday and is named after Katharine Smith Reynolds, the wife of R.J. Reynolds, who founded Reynolds Tobacco.  The restaurant will have its own entrance, as well as access from the hotel. It will seat 100 people for dining and 20 in the bar. It plans to offer seasonal dining for another 40 to 45 on an adjacent patio shared by the current Reynolds headquarters.

The 20th floor features meeting spaces and private dining facilities for a range of events. One meeting room is actually housed in the restored office of Bowman Gray, who was the president of RJ Reynolds Tobacco when the building was completed. The views from the meeting rooms there are spectacular, reaching well into neighboring counties.  Larger functions, like weddings, events and gatherings will be held on the mezzanine level, which has about 6,300 sq. feet of meeting space available for rent. Ballrooms and multi-use rooms abound, and there are even dedicated elevators running to the kitchen downstairs to make catering events a breeze.

This is a boutique hotel, though, so while there are many of the amenities that you’d expect from a grand hotel, there are still many, many personal touches aimed at making a stay at the Cardinal. The Kimpton Cardinal has partnered with the NC School of the Arts to provide entertainment opportunities for guests regularly in the living room area, everything from music to artwork done on site to light theater. The Reynolda House archivist may also visit regularly to provide talks and stories of the history of the building and Winston-Salem. Mike DeFrino, Kimpton’s chief executive, said  “All the nods to the past, whether the blueprint wallpaper in the private dining area to the likeness of Colonel Winston in the carpets of the guest room corridors, is intentional as part of our signs of welcome to visitors and locals, our tip of the hat to the building’s authenticity with a modern comfort for today’s traveler.

Richard Geiger, president of Visit Winston-Salem, said he is pleased with the confidence that Reynolds showed in PMC and Kimpton to redevelop the building as “another jewel” in the downtown renaissance along with upgrades to Benton Convention Center and expansions within Wake Forest Innovation Quarter. Eric Tomlinson, president of the research park, said he sees the Cardinal as creating another critical mass for downtown gatherings that will help with his recruiting efforts.

Susan Cameron, President & CEO of Reynolds American, presents a "postcard from the Empire

State building in NYC" to Mike DeFrino, Kimpton Hotels chief executive during grand opening ceremonies.

20160428w_biz_kimpton

A view of the restaurant, The Katharine Bistro & Bar.

20160428w_biz_kimpton

A view from the bar area of The Katharine

20160428w_biz_kimpton

Views from the front lobby areas

20160428w_biz_kimpton

20160428w_biz_kimpton

20160428w_biz_kimpton

20160428w_biz_kimpton

20160428w_biz_kimpton

Vintage cars from the era of the building's opening are parked out front during the ceremony.

20160428w_biz_kimpton

The shared Recreation Room has everything one could think of.  How about a bowling alley? Half-court for basketball? Two-story spiral slide big enough for adults? How about some big screen TVs, card tables, billiards tables and foosball? There’s also table tennis, a jukebox, plenty of places to talk and relax, all in a modern-industrial style.

14611164785716de3e1eb8c.17452.articlefulLEAD Cardinal Hotel Rec Room-1-2

Sources: W-S Journal/Yes Weekly

There has been some chatter in Camel City that current Pepper Bldg Mike Coe is in negotiations to sell the building to IHG for a Hotel Indigo.  Needs a little validation before we all get too excited.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

CNN had this recent article to their national & international audiences regarding new luxury hotels across the United States being placed in unique adaptive re-use bldgs. from old Model T Ford factories to old YMCA's to the old RJR HQ Building housing Winston's Kimpton Hotel. One of Donald Trump's luxury hotels, the Trump International Hotel will be opening this Fall in the old US Post Office on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC.  All the hotels in the article look pretty interesting. Love the picture of the elevator lobby in the Kimpton.:D 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/31/hotels/new-hotels-past-lives-adaptive-reuse/

Archived