Republican National Convention in Charlotte

HopHead

So it looks like Charlotte has been invited to the table to bid for the 2016 Republican National Convention: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/08/4597397/charlotte-invited-to-bid-on-2016.html#.Us6r2vRDt8E

I know it's been talked about a little on this board before, but what are people's thoughts now? Should the city bid? With exception to hotel issue, the 2012 DNC was viewed as a success for the city and really put it on the map for hosting large events. 

I think it would be great.....however it has been 40+ years since a city (with the exception of NY) has hosted the DNC then the RNC back to back. The last city (with the exception of NY) to host both was Miami in 1972. I would like to see it happen, however I think it is VERY unlikely.

Edited by Jayvee

I think back to back is unlikely.

But CLT does make sense. They've done it in Minneapolis, NYC & Tampa. So the southeast is coming up on their rotating regions.

NC is a swing state that The GOP has a shot at winning

Still just seems unlikely. But it would be awesome.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I would love another National Convention that said I don't think we should bid for it.  Mainly because I don't think we need it the way we needed the 2012 convention which put us on a different level as far as national/international recognition.

Eventually I would like to see us host the RNC and I could see us bid in 2020 or 2024, but I think the cost of the bid alone when I don't think we have a real chance considering the existing pool of candidate cities coupled with the lack of city leader interest (outside of polite pr interest) makes this one to sit out.

Edit - I do agree with Jayvee that if they did bid (and it was successful) you would see the hotel projects move quicker.   That said if we wait till 2020 we'll have Light Rail to the North side of town making the city able to better showcase places like NoDa.  

Edited by Urbanity

I would love another National Convention that said I don't think we should bid for it.  Mainly because I don't think we need it the way we needed the 2012 convention which put us on a different level as far as national/international recognition.

Eventually I would like to see us host the RNC and I could see us bid in 2020 or 2024, but I think the cost of the bid alone when I don't think we have a real chance considering the existing pool of candidate cities coupled with the lack of city leader interest (outside of polite pr interest) makes this one to sit out.

Edit - I do agree with Jayvee that if they did bid (and it was successful) you would see the hotel projects move quicker.   That said if we wait till 2020 we'll have Light Rail to the North side of town making the city able to better showcase places like NoDa.  

I agree that we should hold off. It will allow time for the city to develop more, and the article said that Duke is not going to recover its money from the loan it gave. That does not bode well for the city in gaining corporate sponsers (it's MAJOR issue for the DNC), and if the city doesn't want to take a hit it is going to need corporate support. I think we would have a much better shot at gathering funds for RNCs after 2016.

So I was wasting time at work and just looking at the list of cities and I think the South (at least Southeast) in general will be avoided since BOTH 2012 conventions were in the South consequently I ruled them out (though I did consider leaving Nawlins in as a dark horse to be a symbol of being brave in light of Katrina/Bush fiasco - sort of the RNC pulling a PR "our convention is the economic boon to your city so you will forgive us; or screw you we're not afraid of your hatred of us"

Atlanta

Charlotte
Miami
Nashville
New Orleans
Orlando

I ruled out most of the major blue cities as I think the RNC in 2016 is going to go harder right than ever (just a feeling) and they will do that symbolicly by staying away from DEM havens (at least Dem states). Once again I toyed with a dark horse, this time Chicago as saying "we're coming for the heart of Obama country.  I also toyed with Detroit as A Regan 1980's symbolic gesture and a chance to mock the Dems who will be easy targets in this city.   I left Denver for reasons cited below.

Chicago

Detroit
Los Angeles
New York City
Philadelphia
Seattle

I ruled out Former Presidents (Bush) and Former President Candidates (Romney and McCain) most aligned states as I think the RNC of 2016 will not want the connection.  
Houston
Salt Lake City
San Antonio
Dallas
Phoenix

I finally ruled out the city that is bad PR in itself for an image of a National Party's convention (think Late night monologues).
Las Vegas

What is left is the cities I think that have a chance to a degree.   I ranked them in no particular order.  The ones in bold are the more likely in my mind as far as logistics, city's ability to host or PR value.  
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Oklahoma City
San Diego (debated removing but if they want the west/southwest this could help)
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Columbus, Ohio
St. Louis
Denver ( I think this could have been ruled out above in my first round, but I think from Ohio to the Rockies is where the RNC is going to focus)

Obviously this was all done for fun and the fact that my brain thinks like this (whatever that means) and I'm likely to be completely wrong.

Edited by Urbanity

I agree that we should hold off. It will allow time for the city to develop more, and the article said that Duke is not going to recover its money from the loan it gave. That does not bode well for the city in gaining corporate sponsers (it's MAJOR issue for the DNC), and if the city doesn't want to take a hit it is going to need corporate support. I think we would have a much better shot at gathering funds for RNCs after 2016.

One clarification response - The DNC's 2012 convention tried out a different approach to funding and prevented Corporation funding  thus it was called "The People's Convention".   I bring this up as it wasn't a matter of Charlotte not being able to get corporate sponsorship or interest so much as being prevented from utilizing it.

Charlotte organizers were not thrilled by that and had to cancel several proposed events as a result. There was also a limit on the size of individual's donation.    It is one of the main reason's that Duke's line of credit was never going to be fully repaid. 

From the above linked article the following was banned.:

* A ban on “monetary contributions from any incorporated, for-profit entity.”
* A ban on “monetary contributions in excess of $100,000 from any individual.”
* A ban on in-kind contributions from any “corporate entities that received TARP or other bail-out funds” unless they have been repaid.
* A ban on “monetary or in-kind contributions from individuals registered as federal lobbyists.”
* A ban on “any contribution whatsoever from any individual who is neither a U.S. citizen nor a legal, permanent resident.”
Edited by Urbanity

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it will be Kansas CIty.  Missouri is now more of a red state than North Carolina.  Missouri only seemed like a swing state when the Democratic candidate was a white Southerner (Carter, Clinton).  Yet Republicans have never won the White House in recent history without Ohio, a true swing state.  I put my money on Columbus.

Edited by southslider

• 1 month later...

I know we are not going for the 2016 RNC, but I thought this article about Tampa passing up the opportunity to submit a proposal for the 2016 DNC underscores both the incredible job the city did for the DNC with it's limitations on funding as well as corrects a misunderstanding I've heard before that Charlotte did a poor job raising money which somehow gets twisted into Charlotte not having the money pockets/ability to hold other large scale events in the future.

"... they prohibited the city of Charlotte from taking corporate money," he told reporters. "You guys saw the numbers."

Without contributions from corporations or lobbyists, the Democrats' host committee in Charlottee raised $24.1 million in cash and in-kind contributions — about $12.5 million less than its $36.6 million goal. Planners cut millions from their budget but still had to draw nearly $8 million from a $10 million line of credit that Duke Energy had extended for the convention.

"By contrast, our host committee raised $50-plus million," Buckhorn noted. The Tampa Bay Host Committee received about 91 percent of its money in six- or seven-figure increments. "

Source:  Tampa Bay News: http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/tampa-to-bid-for-2016-democratic-national-convention-thanks-but-no-thanks/2167671

Edited by Urbanity

I know we are not going for the 2016 RNC, but I thought this article about Tampa passing up the opportunity to submit a proposal for the 2016 DNC underscores both the incredible job the city did for the DNC with it's limitations on funding as well as corrects a misunderstanding I've heard before that Charlotte did a poor job raising money which somehow gets twisted into Charlotte not having the money pockets/ability to hold other large scale events in the future.

So they allowed Corporate/Lobbyists there? Is that why they raised twice as much?

So they allowed Corporate/Lobbyists there? Is that why they raised twice as much?

As JerseyBoy said:  Correct.

Also  the DNC did something even greater than ban lobbyist from contributing for the 2012 convention:  They banned any contribution in excess of $100,000.   As I quoted in the Tampa Bay Article,   "The Tampa Bay Host Committee received about 91 percent of its money in six- or seven-figure increments. "

It's why I am very appreciative to this day of what Charlotte pulled off - which most media said was not only the larger, but the better of the two conventions.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I think this is a terrible  idea and anyone who thinks "political leanings don't matter" in this particular case is only thinking with their bank account. This is not to speak ill if the president or anyone who approves of him, but this is not the right guy, not the right place, and not the right time.

People are still talking about our "riots" from a few years ago. This will definitely, without a shadow of a doubt bring more of the same. Do you have the time or desire to navigate potentially thousands of protesters on top of the already very large amount of road closures and security? 

Anyone willing to speak on Trump's behalf will most certainly draw the ire of millions as "no filter" is this group's thing. This will (and has) effect companies based here and local companies trying to cash in.

For a city (and state) still licking it's wounds from HB2, this is a completely nonsensical decision. Yes we "love to play host", but this is an idiotic decision as it will surely cause us to loose out on some future companies and events. We need to "play neutral" right now.

Political leanings wouldn't matter if this was or turns out to be some other candidate, but as for now, this is a dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, DUMB decision.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tarwater said:

The RNC will definitely bring large protests (I'll join them).  Whether or not they turn into riots will depend on how the cops respond.

I thought Charlotte police were very restrained in responding to the riots.  I didn't see or hear of anything that they did that provoked the bad behavior (aside from, arguably, the shooting itself).   I think sometimes riots are the fault of rioters.  By all means, protest Trump (or Clinton, or whoever)...peacefully.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tarwater said:

The RNC will definitely bring large protests (I'll join them).  Whether or not they turn into riots will depend on how the cops respond.

Protesting is enshrined in the Bill of Rights:

the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. 

Rioting is not compatible with the right to peaceful protest!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1