Republican National Convention in Charlotte

HopHead

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/23/2018 at 6:09 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm referring to the cascading whirlpool (if you'll forgive the contradicting terms) of back-and-forth that never gets anywhere, and always has the unique ability to become crude mud-slinging from any given side in an instant.

Use that block function and then you don't have to ever see any of those nonsense, blowhard, argumentative posts. Well, unless someone responds to him. =)

On 5/4/2018 at 1:16 PM, kermit said:

The Observer makes it sound like NOBODY want to host this thing.

Because they don't. 

I may be in the minority here, but my viewpoint is understood by many municipalities around the country.

Article:

Nobody Wants to Host the GOP Convention in 2020

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2018/05/02/nobody-wants-to-host-the-gop-convention-in-2020-brad-parscale

"Such intangibles can outweigh the potential financial benefit of rented hotel rooms and big-spending delegates, observers said. Especially when the long-term economic impact of a four-day convention may be negligible."...

"That embarrassment would come as it strives to attract high-tech investment and reposition itself as a location friendly to young professionals."...

"What’s more, there’s a considerable chance whatever city plays 2020 host is looking at an instant replay of the ’68 Democratic convention. Those bloody riots squarely landed a black eye on the city of Chicago and Mayor Richard Daley."...

This was just the first article Google spat out. There are plenty more.

I've voted Republican, I've voted Democrat, I've even voted for various 3rd parties. This isn't about personal political affiliation as someone alluded to. This is about the welfare of the city, it's citizens & guests.

^^ completely disagree... both political parties are the same... And if we did fine the DNC with Obama, we can do just fine with RNC and even the possibility of Trump being in town.

From what I've read, we did a great job with the DNC, and from what I've seen in the proposal, they are trying to do the same approach for RNC.

Edited by Scribe
porlitical = political... but more accurate!
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Scribe said:

^^ completely disagree... both political parties are the same... And if we did fine the DNC with Obama, we can do just fine with RNC and even the possibility of Trump being in town.

From what I've read, we did a great job with the DNC, and from what I've seen in the proposal, they are trying to do the same approach for RNC.

OK.

It's not at all the same situation, but OK.

It's hard for them to find willing hosts, but OK.

OK....

15 minutes ago, Scribe said:

What "embarrassment" potential is there that was not there with the DNC?

I could argue there was more chance of rioting (with the occupy movement) during the DNC then at the present.

My point is: why wouldn't you take the money and a chance to showcase the city in both DNC and RNC. Let the entire nation see that the city is able to do handle opposing views and thrive.  ;) Especially, now that we know we have an upper hand in negotiations.

My point has already been stated & uttered over various news platforms & government decision meetings. If you choose to ignore that for the sake of....whatever,  then that is your choice.

Edited by HighRiseHillbilly
typo
  • Thanks 1

I want the CMPD to get to use all their paramilitary gear. They must be so sad when it sits idle for months. This is a joke.

Other than how over the top some cities are in their gear they have purchased. Denver was terrible in that respect.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the RNC would be great for Charlotte. Lots of publicity which will likely be overwhelmingly positive just like during the DNC. 

Maybe if Trump comes to town, he'll remember his old plans for a trump tower in CLT and it'll get built. :tw_lol:

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 5:27 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Thats cool.  Trump will Be the biggest Charlotte booster saying we are the greatest, that Charlotte’s convention was the best in history, etc etc  lol

Here's the thing about that: what if things don't go as planned and Trump perceives that the city let him down? No matter what your political persuasion, we can all agree there's never been a more petty, immature, vindictive, ah0le in the history of the world so doing any business with him is always a risk.  He could trash Charlotte for forever and a day so let's just hope it goes well. Should be exciting!!  I'm still for it coming but I am a little worried too. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra

I think that there might be some hidden "excitement" at this convention and having it take place in Charlotte will definitely be a shining moment in the national and international spotlight.  If Trump does get the nomination during the primary season, I do believe there will be a very serious "coup" attempt to take the nomination away from him......stay turn to 2020!!

I detest Trump as much as the next guy but don't you think calling him one of the worst people in history is a little over the top? I mean, is he right there with the likes of Hitler, Osama Bin ladden, and Jeffery Dahmer?

All those politicians, affiliates, and media pour money into the local economy for the time they're here too. Spending money at our stores, restaurants, and of course hotels.

8 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I detest Trump as much as the next guy but don't you think calling him one of the worst people in history is a little over the top? I mean, is he right there with the likes of Hitler, Osama Bin ladden, and Jeffery Dahmer?

It's exaggerated hyperbole for effect sure but again if you have to use examples of Osama Bin Laden, Jeffrey Dahmer and Hitler to make a counterpoint that "well actually" these guys are worse than Trump, well that's not really a winning argument lol. 

3 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

It's exaggerated hyperbole for effect sure but again if you have to use examples of Osama Bin Laden, Jeffrey Dahmer and Hitler to make a counterpoint that "well actually" these guys are worse than Trump, well that's not really a winning argument lol. 

Touche. But I was also playing off that hyperbole that was made. He's a seriously scummy and narcissistic person but he isn't the devil himself. People have an irrational level of hate for him.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 5:27 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

I hate trump. But Charlotte isn’t too good to host the president of the USA. Pennsylvania, Michigan even voted for the man. He & Obama will be two very famous presidents. Our first black president and trump being trump. And we would have had both of them. 

Thats cool.  Trump will Be the biggest Charlotte booster saying we are the greatest, that Charlotte’s convention was the best in history, etc etc  lol

No, Charlotte isn’t too good to host the President, but just because he’s the President doesn’t mean it’s a win for Charlotte or NC. Sure if we were to host it would bring in tourists, millions of dollars, and a spotlight, but it will also fuel the misrepresentation that Charlotte (and NC) is a Republican Mecca - the complete opposite look we need, as HB2 is still costing us corporate expansions. There are plenty of other events to host without the negative effect. 

• Like 3