Republican National Convention in Charlotte

HopHead

15 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

If it has the possibility for riots and large protests do you think that helps Charlotte’s growth??

Helping and being catastrophic to it are not the same things.  We've had significant riots previously (during the current boom cycle).  Moreover, I doubt "riots" are likely (Trump has always been awful and they didn't riot in Cleveland)...

16 minutes ago, JBS said:

Helping and being catastrophic to it are not the same things.  We've had significant riots previously (during the current boom cycle).  Moreover, I doubt "riots" are likely (Trump has always been awful and they didn't riot in Cleveland)...

Trump wasn’t the president then, and most people did not take him or his campaign seriously. The political environment has drastically changed in America these past two years. Another Charlottesville incident is not out of the question, even if Uptown is barred off. 

• Like 1

I sense ZERO support in Charlotte for violent public disturbance (definition of riot). I believe a strong ameliorating influence from Charlotte for any visitors with such plans. This event will have special restrictive rules for public areas and I believe the risk is present for disturbance but the reality is limited. I trust our people.

It will absolutely be a test for the police force to limit their use of force on such a visible stage.

The chance of a strong positive experience is far greater than the obverse.

• Like 4

The thing that frustrates me (at the moment) is the idea that now some on the city council are talking about backing out. If we are awarded the convention and the city council rejects it, it will be a mighty LONG time before we'd ever be considered for the RNC again. If they didn't want to host in 2020, then why not wait and bid in 2024?

• Like 2

Nationally it’s a real bad look for the city.  I get that some won’t agree with that and I respect your feelings.

I also understand the significant positive economic impact.  Not to be discounted.

However if we’re talking purely national perception, it’s a bad look.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ah59396 said:

Nationally it’s a real bad look for the city.  I get that some won’t agree with that and I respect your feelings.

I also understand the significant positive economic impact.  Not to be discounted.

However if we’re talking purely national perception, it’s a bad look.

What about NYC? Mar-a-largo?  He has a strong New York identity. I don’t even remember the host city of Trump in 2016. I think an Ohio city. 

Its the president of the US and apparently he’s popular enough to win A majority of voters even in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.  With all that said, if it looks bad for Charlotte, it looks bad for the entire country. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

he’s popular enough to win A majority of voters even in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.  

Point of order:  he didn't receive a majority of the votes in *any* of those 3 states.  Or Arizona, or Florida, or North Carolina, or Utah.