Republican National Convention in Charlotte

HopHead

4 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

Maybe.  But based on the correspondence published between Cooper and the RNC, I wonder how much real planning there even was.  I mean, I know there SHOULD be, but I got the impression it was “well we were waiting for you to tell us how you wanted to run this convention” and the other side saying same.  With hotels empty and unbooked arenas in any major city and with plenty lining up for the opportunity, how hard would it be?  Sounds like the plan was to show up, check into a hotel and hit the arena or bar.  In normal times this would be insurmountable, but seems relatively easy with our current conditions.  But I’m no event planner, granted.  

I hope you're right honestly. We're probably better off without it. Will be interesting to see which other major city is masochistic enough to try to poach it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

What about all the contracts signed? I remember when there was talking last year of the city cancelling the convention but it was a grey area due to contracts that wouldn’t stand up legaly

I’m reading that they are contractually obligated to conduct the business part of the convention (the boring part before the speeches and pomp and circumstance starts) here but not the entirety.  The showboating part may be held elsewhere which they are saying would still fulfill their contract.  So maybe that’s the silver lining?  Our hospitality and service industry still gets a much needed under-the-radar boost but the attention-getting part would be some other city’s issue to benefit from and/or deal with.   Maybe?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CLT704 said:

What about all the contracts signed? I remember when there was talking last year of the city cancelling the convention but it was a grey area due to contracts that wouldn’t stand up legaly

I am no lawyer but its not clear to me that Charlotte is  guilty of breaking any contracts. No one said the meeting could not happen in Charlotte, they just could not guarantee capacity — depending on the terms in he contract relating to unforeseen events RNC may be the part in breach. In Charlotte’s favor, the donald-flavored Supreme Court did just rule that the current public heath emergency is sufficient to justify regulations preventing in-person worship, so I don’t see why that would not also apply to a meeting of a private organization. 

Edited by kermit

I kind of question the long term impact of conventions. The last three GOP conventions were Cleveland, Tampa, and Saint Paul (had to look them up because I couldn't remember). I don't really feel like any of those places elevated from mid-city city status and people were like "Wow I want to move to Tampa because of the convention" or "I think I'll relocate my Fortune 500 company to Cleveland because of some aerial shots during a convention." During the convention there is a lot of buzz, but people have short memories and move on. We just hosted a major event like the NBA All Star Game... is everybody talking about us now? No. Most people probably already forgot we hosted it. We can focus on being a great place to live and having a good business climate and people will come, but most major one time events give you a one time boost that dies out shortly after as attention focuses on other things. We'll have opportunities for other events in the future. 

Ironically, Minneapolis is probably the most well known mid-size city from the US now. You can go to Turkey and be like "I'm from Minneapolis" and everybody will know where you are from. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

at today's Council press conference the city attorney stated several times that the city has not breached the RNC contract (no specifics were offered). He has also not received any official notification from the RNC (the counter-party to the contract) about the Charlotte meeting.  They have a regular meeting scheduled for tomorrow.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, turbocraig said:

Looks like despite TN governor's overtures, the mayor of Nashville wants to take a pass on hosting....  whoops.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/06/04/is-nashville-interested-in-luring-rnc.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

Its always puzzled me that republicans have so much difficulty with the concept of local control. They WERE the party of small government after all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, turbocraig said:

Looks like despite TN governor's overtures, the mayor of Nashville wants to take a pass on hosting....  whoops.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/06/04/is-nashville-interested-in-luring-rnc.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

Yes, the reality is most states vying for this have Republican governors, but the city's that would actually have to host it are more liberal / Democrat. In Georgia, the governor is like "come here!" and the mayor of Atlanta is like "how about no." Same thing with Tampa, that has hosted a convention before and knows the ideas of throwing a plan together in 3 months is crazy. Nashville doesn't seem interested despite the governor's excitement. 

Cities that might go with it... Jacksonville, Florida and Las Vegas. Jacksonville has a Republican mayor and 13 of the 19 seats in their city council are Republican so the city will likely back the Florida governor in pursuing this. In addition, given Jacksonville's fame as the hometown of Jason Mendoza, the convention offers a chance to re-craft their image to America. Pill Boy will be in attendance for some molotov cocktail throwing.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I'm still convinced it'll just end up at Doral and the government will pay Trump rent on the property.

That's not out of the realm of possibility but the largest ballroom at Doral is just 24K sf and most of the others are less than 10K sf.  And is there enough to keep people occupied for a week's convention?  Downtown is a 30min drive.  And those skyline aerial shots they love to plaster all over the tv.... not quite the same - unless they do a flyover of the airport close by instead.  It may end up being the scaled-down convention they claim they don't want after all.  But I'm sure they'll try to make it work if that's what he demands.

How many people attend the "business portion" of a convention? Would all the delegates come to Charlotte and then jump on a plane to go somewhere else to watch Trump accept his nomination? 

EDIT: Read it and see nobody knows how many people would come here

Edited by CLT2014

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

How many people attend the "business portion" of a convention? Would all the delegates come to Charlotte and then jump on a plane to go somewhere else to watch Trump accept his nomination? 

EDIT: Read it and see nobody knows how many people would come here

Rock Hill RNC?

This story from Charlotte mag reviews the RNC contract. I am no lawyer but it appears to me that the RNC will be in breach by refusing to hold a meeting (even a reduced capacity one) in Charlotte based on the public safety clause alone.

1. Public Safety
Section 4.2 says that officials must enforce regulations and actions from the state and city governments, including those that concern public health and safety: “ … the Host Committee agrees that in no event shall authorized employees of the City be prevented from performing and carrying out their governmental functions and purposes; or responding to any police, fire, or medical emergency, in, at, or around the Convention Complex (including, without limitation, all areas designated as limited access by the RNC) or responding to any public safety or security situation of the City.”

It further states that the harmed party (Charlotte in this case) is entitled to seek appropriate equitable relief. I suspect that the business meeting is sufficient for the RNC to avoid getting sued. 

https://www.charlottemagazine.com/what-charlottes-rnc-contract-says-about-cancellation/

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2